Openminded Metalheads or Ecletic Music Lovers?

• Sorry that you don't get it.

Be dangerous and unpredictable and make a lotta noise.
  • Aww c'mon TheDucChick, we all want to see a forum cat fight! Don't defuse a forum arguement like that! :`(

"There is nothing wrong in quoting yourself." - agent_logic

FoxyScrobbler - a super awesome Firefox add-on that scrobbles music you listen to on the Web. Currently supports Pandora, SoundCloud, Bandcamp, Songza, YouTube, Rdio and 8Tracks. Go get it!
  • TheDucChick said:
    Sorry that you don't get it.

If you're trying to say that we (all of us who don't like nu-metal) don't like nu-metal because it's a new genre... *lolage*

I'm not exactly narrow-minded (my favourite genres are metal, classical, classic & hard rock, reggae and jazz, followed by trance and folk/world music), but when a genre generates almost exclusively pure garbage... And it's not that because it's "different" that I don't like it, either, but because as with metalcore, I simply find the music boring, repetitive, unoriginal, spiritless and oftentimes simply bad -and the lyrics don't exactly help- and therefore I choose not to listen to the genre (anymore, after hearing enough 'samples' to form an opinion). Simple, or so one would think.

But, if it's something else, please, share your view/point.

Meow.

• Funny. Internet arguments are pretty lame. I've already put my idea out there and see no need to type it all over again. Some will get it and some won't.

I will clarify one thing, however. What I object to is the automatic dissing of a style of metal (mostly it's nu-metal) because one doesn't like it. That would be like me saying black metal isn't metal because I don't like it and therefore it sucks. So nu-metal features rap or has a dearth of solos, it doesn't automatically disqualify it from the genre. The sound is there, but there are NEW elements not incorporated into metal before.

Please hook up your own logic chain from here if you can form one.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 27 May 2008, 09:56
    No, Nu-Metal is actually a misnomer, it IS NOT metal, or atleast bands like Linkin Park, POD, Korn that are more Funk/Alternative Rock are not metal. Bands like Soulfly and Ill Nino could be defined as metal because of their predominate Groove Metal influence. But otherwise, playing Alt Rock with distorted guitars IS NOT metal.

But really you can tell a genre tag is just a marketing thing when people actually stop applying it to the same style of music a few years later. They're calling it 'Alternative Metal' or some shit now, despite the fact that it still bares no relation to Metal...

• lol, some people call it aggro metal/rock if I'm not mistaken. Where do people come up with these words?

FoxyScrobbler - a super awesome Firefox add-on that scrobbles music you listen to on the Web. Currently supports Pandora, SoundCloud, Bandcamp, Songza, YouTube, Rdio and 8Tracks. Go get it!
  • TheDucChick said:
    Funny. Internet arguments are pretty lame. I've already put my idea out there and see no need to type it all over again. Some will get it and some won't.

I will clarify one thing, however. What I object to is the automatic dissing of a style of metal (mostly it's nu-metal) because one doesn't like it. That would be like me saying black metal isn't metal because I don't like it and therefore it sucks. So nu-metal features rap or has a dearth of solos, it doesn't automatically disqualify it from the genre. The sound is there, but there are NEW elements not incorporated into metal before.

Please hook up your own logic chain from here if you can form one.

What nu-metal lacks:
    -Metal
    -Creative artistry
    -Good lyrics
    -Solos
    -Metal
    -Good drumming
    -Often, good vocals
    -Attitude for artistic innovation rather than just commercial success
    -METAL

As LouIsImmortal pointed out, "Nu-Metal" is a misnomer. All this isn't helped by the fanbase of nu-metal; which mainly consists of kids in their early teens.

And, I mean, mixing rap with crappy pseudo-metal (see points above) - how could that possibly end up creating good music?

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 28 May 2008, 05:25
    This is the thread that never ends
    Yes, it goes on and on, my friends!
    Some people started posting in it, not knowing what it was,
    And they'll continue posting in it forever just because...

• lyzzrd said:
    This is the thread that never ends
    Yes, it goes on and on, my friends!
    Some people started posting in it, not knowing what it was,
    And they'll continue posting in it forever just because...

• *David Draiman-like monkey vocals for added effect*

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 28 May 2008, 10:34
    Who judges what is metal anyway? Where is the committee that decides these things? Who came up with the rules?

(edited for spelling)

• True, grim and frostbitten metalheads judge it, I think...

• dward526 said:
    Who judges what is metal anyway? Where is the committee that decides these things? Who came up with the rules?

(edited for spelling)

You can tell the difference between reggae and metal, right? Or trance and metal? Or blues and metal?

Oh, and it's Wikipedia that decides.

*Nodnod*

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 28 May 2008, 17:59
    I understand your point, but their needs to be some allowances for the progression of the art. Things must change and evolve to stay vibrant and alive.

• dward526 said:
    I understand your point, but their needs to be some allowances for the progression of the art. Things must change and evolve to stay vibrant and alive.

Of course, and considering that I enjoy heavy metal, nwobhm, thrash metal, speed metal, black metal, death metal, groove metal, doom metal, progressive metal, (some) industrial metal, etc., I'm not quick to pounce on an emergent subgenre.

However, nu-"metal"... Is a different story. :]

• See...I knew it wasn't worth typing out. I'm done.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 28 May 2008, 23:29
    TheDucChick said:
    See...I knew it wasn't worth typing out. I'm done.

I don't blame you. Even the most supposedly open-minded have their certain streaks of 1337-ism. I just shrug and consider it a difference of opinion and then wonder why people care so much ;-)

• "Eclectic music lover with a strong urge to listen to extreme music regularly" reporting in.

I love metal but I'm not a metalhead. I'm not a rapper either, even tho "hip-hop" is my favorite tag.

Whatever... I can leave spontaneously if you ask me to. ;)

meh?
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 29 May 2008, 17:11
    You are welcome here mistersoftly. If you love Metal, this is open-minded metalheads after all! (even if we argue about what is metal :))

• Makoo said...
    • User
    • 29 May 2008, 18:06
    dward526 said:
    You are welcome here mistersoftly. If you love Metal, this is open-minded metalheads after all! (even if we argue about what is metal :))

We argue about almost everything :P

• lyzzrd said:
    TheDucChick said:
    See...I knew it wasn't worth typing out. I'm done.

I don't blame you. Even the most supposedly open-minded have their certain streaks of 1337-ism. I just shrug and consider it a difference of opinion and then wonder why people care so much ;-)

I'm usually open-minded, but a man's gotta have something to hate and vent at, right?

Hatin' Finnish rap/hip hop gets old after a few years. And yes, Finnish rap/hip hop needs good ol' pure hating, horrible, horrible, all of it. 'Tseems the Finnish language doesn't fit rap. (And trust me, it's all about Finnish rap/hip hop, some of the old skool/older/underground/"real"-street-poetry-style rap is quite good, imho... But Finnish rap/hip hop is a different story entirely, and if you cannot understand Finnish, I'm afraid you can't understand why the hate. :\

Oh well, ramble ramble, on I go (alone by now, I presume, with the subject), but welcome here indeed, mistersofty. :]

Edit: You'd think that by now one would've learned to proof-read his posts before posting, no?

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 29 May 2008, 23:50
    Maelkoch said:
    I'm usually open-minded, but a man's gotta have something to hate and vent at, right?

I usually pick Nazis and NSBM, but yeah, a woman needs much the same ;-)

• lyzzrd said:
    Maelkoch said:

I usually pick Nazis and NSBM, but yeah, a woman needs much the same ;-)

*Slaps the all-too-cever ladeh*

I think it's reasonable to expect every single person in their right minds to hate those two (at least their ideologies), but I was talking about more every-day-life sort of things, and this being a music/social-site, music (NSBM does fit into this category, naturally). ;]

• WHO DARES TALK SHIT ABOUT NSBM? :|

*changes into Graveland-like outfit and raises sword*

• Maelkoch said:

but welcome here indeed, mistersofty. :]

Thanks. I was not being very serious... except that I really do have a urge to listen to extreme music regularly.

dward526 said:

Thanks. Oh, by the way : this is metal.

Nothing else is...

xD

meh?
Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.