portable ogg vorbis players

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 26 Jul 2005, 12:47

portable ogg vorbis players

link: http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/PortablePlayers

I bought a Trekstor i.Beat organix last week and it plays all my Vorbis files, so far (I usually encode with -q5, but I tested it with a -q10 file, too).

What experiences did you make with Vorbis hardware players?

• danhm said...
    • User
    • 30 Jul 2005, 21:36
    That is an excellent resource, thanks a lot for posting it.

I'm in the market, so I'll probably pick something from their up sooner or later.

• noleti said...
    • User
    • 29 Sep 2005, 21:50
    I own a iRiver HP-320 and bought my gf an iRiver iFP-995 - both capable of playing my vast collection of .oggs ;)
    I'm actually not super satisfied by the iFP-995 but the big guy (the HP-320) is almost perfect

• munzli said...
    • User
    • 13 Dec 2005, 14:24
    i bought an iAudio M3 about 1.5 years ago, great player... does ogg, flac etc. (never had problems) and has a line in :)

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 7 Apr 2006, 17:26
    My first portable hard disk audio player was an Xclef HD-500 (20 gb version). It needed a firmware upgrade to play Ogg Vorbis files.

I'm currently using the MPeye HTS-200. It only holds 5 gb but it's a lot smaller in size. At first I had some firmware issues but it seems to work fine now. This one was able to play Ogg Vorbis (and MP3/WMA) by default.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 30 Jun 2006, 21:30
    iRiver 890 here.
    I had to replace the Firmware thingy (worked only with Windows) so I could mount it as FAT and had to set some nasty min- and max-bitrate with oggenc though. Works like a charm now.

• iAudio X5

The iAudio X5 works really well for ogg too. Plays them super!

• eloj said...
    • User
    • 21 Jul 2006, 00:43
    I have the iAudio5. No problems, except with it sometimes stopping playback on real low bitrates, unfortunately. Happens to me on some SIDs I converted to Vorbis, where it will stop at the end of every track. No big deal, just frustrating that it won't get fixed.

• Is there an Ogg Vorbis player that supports ReplayGain?

• ... rockbox

open source firmware that'll let you play ogg/flac on 3 and 4 G ipods, it also runs on lots of other hardware. haven't had a player to try it but it looks pretty sweet.

http://www.rockbox.org/

• Wow, that's great, thanks ! I was just wondering if such a beauty did exist or not... but unfortunately it does not seem to for Samsung players.

Any other suggestion ?

• reteiP said...
    • User
    • 4 Sep 2006, 18:05
    So with that rockbox I should be able to tweak an iPod Nano to play vorbis files?

• crack33 said...
    • User
    • 12 Oct 2006, 15:16

GP2X

I use my GP2X, which is a nice portable device for playing games (GB[C], SNES, NES, but also games developed primarily for GP2X), reading raw text files, viewing pics and, yeah, listen to music.

But there's one downside...it uses A LOT of batteries. So personally I prefer to run it with the AC adapter whenever possible.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 12 Oct 2006, 22:37
    Cool, I recently saw a presentation at school about this device, but they were trying to develop a little race game for it. :)

• It's a cool device but this is not a media player: Too expensive and uses too much battery power.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 5 Dec 2006, 13:54
    bought last week the bandnew Trekstor Vibez. Eyecandy player, some goodie functions, ogg and flac support. Is available as 8 GB, 12 GB and 15 GB player (cheapest 200 €, 15 GB for 240 €). My vorbis stuff is encoded in q5 and it sounds ace! (2 songs sound a bit strange though -> Something Isn't Right and Neighbourhood #1)

• Nattgew said...
    • User
    • 18 Dec 2006, 04:53

U2

I've got an iAUDIO U2 that's pretty nice. It has an FM radio, records from that or line-in... and it even has an equalizer and can speed up or slow down music. Great price, too. The rechargeable battery won't last forever, but it works great as a USB drive, and is small.
    And I wouldn't have it if it didn't play Ogg.

• iAudio X5

Various posts mention the iAudio X5. I have one, it's a good player and partially supports Ogg but it's not gapless which is one of the points of Ogg :S

I tried raising a change request on the support site but got nowhere. In fact the firmware in general is substandard - it does not have an id3 database for example. Happily however the rockbox.org (mentioned above) open source firmware sorts out both these problems and now I use that instead of the default.

Happy Christmas!

• Trekstor Vibez with AudioScrobbler support

The Vibez really is a cool device indeed. :-)

I used a bit spare time I could find between christmas and new year's eve to analyze its binary data base format and wrote a proof-of-concept scrobbler for it. :-)

It currently gives more debug output than a running KDE app, most likely only works on Linux / POSIX systems and seems to have a bunch of bugs left in it - I just made a real test run for the first time to update my profile again - but hey, it works. :-)

Unfortunately I have less than insufficient time left to spend working on it, but at least I finally have a portable player I can use with last.fm.

I previously also had an Trekstor i.Beat Organix until it broke, where this was not possible at all.

"When all else fails, read the instructions." -- Cahn's Axiom
  • rockbox is offered for the X5 and enables gapless playback of ogg files. at this time there are TWO of the discontinued 60gb models on amazon for $280. an absolute steal. you also may find a bargain on one from another website. however if you can't manage to get a 60gb, i bought a 30gb at the same price and i don't hesitate to recommend it if you're at all interested in the fm radio and voice recording functions.

• also...the 30gb x5l is an x5 with a slightly bigger battery and supposedly gets something like 30 hours/charge, and it's actually being sold cheaper than the original x5 at the moment. not sure about its compatibility with rockbox though.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 5 Feb 2007, 06:23
    rockbox.org:
    iAudio: X5 (including X5V and X5L)

• Mpio FY600

Ogg Vorbis playback
    uses 1 AAA battery/accu

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 8 Feb 2007, 19:02
    Got a 10Gb iRiver IHP-100 that I must have bought about 3 or 4 years ago whilst in New York on holiday (half the price of the first iPods and cheaper still because my £1's were worth $2! :D) and I believe it played Ogg's.

Now it's running Rockbox firmware so I can play Ogg's no probs and use other features.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.