Which is the best metal?

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 2 Jul 2005, 09:26

Which is the best metal?

where does the best nordic metal come from? sweden? finland? norway? or another country?
    i think all the countries have their own music-style and i like all of them of course ;) and i could not decide which one is the best.. and what do you think about it?

• Sweden

I would say Sweden, two of the groups in my personal Top 5 come from there, namely Pain of Salvation and Opeth. Furthemore, there are other very impressive Swedish bands like Evergrey, In Flames, Arch Enemy etc.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 3 Jul 2005, 20:36
    that's right, few of my favorite bands come from sweden... but at least the same amount of finnish bands.... so it's very difficulty to fix where the better ones come from..

• Sweden, Gothenburg metal!
    Though Norwegian BM can be nice too =)

• I don't think there is such thing as the best metal, but if you're asking my favorite, i'd have to say sweeden. Opeth, meshuggah, and OLD in flames (i think they're sweedish) are all in my top 5 artists (or at least i'm pretty sure they are) and i'm sure that more of my favorite metal bands are sweedish and i'm just not aware of it.

Sweeden owns.

• Soeru said...
    • User
    • 12 Jul 2005, 14:27
    Yeh In Flames are Swedish, they were the ones that got me into the whole Scandinavian metal(Gothenburg) and extreme metal in general.

Since I'm a bigger fan of death metal, I'd say Sweden. So many great bands, not just melodic DM. Bathory, basically all of my favorite melo death bands, Entombed, Dismember, Bloodbath, Unleashed, Hammerfall(though cheesy as fuck), hell even Yngwie Malmsteen...

Norway has some of the best BM bands in existence, too bad they can't claim Bathory as their own. :P Really like the viking/folk stuff, but it's not exclusive to Norway(bands like Windir, Borknagar and Vintersorg), you also have Finntroll which are obviously from Finland. :) Finland has more traditional less extreme metal bands like Norther, CoB, Mokoma, Stone, and some really good thrash bands.

Poland has the majority of my favorite death metal bands(Vader, Decapitated, Behemoth(black/death), Dies Irae, ... but if we're only talking about Scandinavia I'd say Sweden. We got lots of Scandinavian tourists in my homeland(Canary Islands, Spain)and that's how I discovered the metal scene over there.

• cebe said...
    • User
    • 15 Jul 2005, 14:14

Hard to say

I guess when it comes to black metal i think i'd have to say Norway. For melodeath i guess i'd have to say Sweden.

• Zerwas said...
    • User
    • 18 Jul 2005, 11:00

Black Metal

Norway. Others - no way.

• KryptoN said...
    • User
    • 25 Jul 2005, 14:46
    Finland for death and folk metal.
    Sweden for melodic death metal.
    Norway for black metal.

Latest ratings on RYM:
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 1 Aug 2005, 14:18

Re:

Quoth KryptoN:
    Norway for black metal.

Exactly. :)

• Evergrey, Yngwie, Opeth, Europe, Hammerfall, Lost Horizon - it's got to be Sweden.

I must admit that I didn't know that Evergrey and Opeth were from Sweden until I read this though, and I often have to think about it for a bit to remember what country a band comes from.

• Sweden for Brutal death metal- Aeon, Vicious art, Sanctifiaction etc...

Norway for black metal- 1349, Burzum, Mayhem, Emperor, Immortal etc

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 13 Aug 2005, 15:21

Re:

Quoth KryptoN:
    Norway for black metal.

exactly :)

• cep2 said...
    • User
    • 16 Aug 2005, 15:30
    No mention of Denmark so far?... hehe, well I think there are great bands here as well, though not in the same scale as other scandinavian countries. Illnath, Mercenary and Red Warszawa to mention a few (then my own band Elders of Despair, though it's more on an amatuer basis, so far anyway)!
    But yeah, it's difficult...

Finnland: Finntroll, Ensiferum, Children of Bodom, Turisas, Apocalyptica, Battlelore, Korpiklaani, Nightwish, Wintersun
    Norway: Old Man's Child, Dimmu, Borknagar, Ásmegin, Einherjer, Otyg, Lumsk
    Sweden: Hammerfall, Hedningarna, Arch Enemy, Dark Tranquillity
    Faroe Islands: Tyr
    Denmark: Illnath, Mercenary, Fairytale Abuse, Red Warszawa, Granhammer, Mindmare

(can't figure out where Falkenbach is from)

Hmm, then I'd say Finnland or Norway...

• There are also some great bands that hail from Denmark, for example Exmortem, Corpus mortale and Khonkra.

• Edited by HanSomReiste on 17 Aug 2005, 21:10
  • Re:

Quoth cep2:
    (can't figure out where Falkenbach is from)

Falkenbach is from Iceland.

• cep2 said...
    • User
    • 18 Aug 2005, 10:16

Re: Re:

Quoth HanSomReiste:
    Falkenbach is from Iceland.

Thanks

• Radetin said...
    • User
    • 21 Aug 2005, 02:28
    First, I thought it was clear. Sweden, no doubt about it, they do have Opeth, Pain of Salvation, Soilwork, In Flames, Pain, even The Quill if you want to think of them as metal.

But then to think of it we (finnish) have some great bands like Nightwish, (old) 69 Eyes, Tarot, Sentenced and most underestimated band off them all Kingston Wall. One of the best prog band ever, maybe not so metal, but something worth trying for...

• Sweden. Almost all my favorite bands are from here. Finland have some good bands too (Uhm... Mors Principium Est maybe) and Norway too (Immortal, Burzum etc.)

• bigjq said...
    • User
    • 24 Aug 2005, 05:50
    Even though Sweden and Norway have had glorious bands such as Bathory, Emperor, Burzum and such, I think the best contemporary nordic metal bands hail from Finland. Think, for example, of Horna, Satanic Warmaster and Clandestine Blaze. I can't think of any worthy norwegian band that hasn't either split up or released their last worthy album somewhere in the 90's. Sweden has some nice bands, such as Shining, Woods of Infinity, and Marduk, much to my surprise, released a decent album last year.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 24 Aug 2005, 06:17

Black Metal

Norway, as far as Black Metal goes, i mean Sweeden has got Dark Funeral, Marduk and Bathory (R.I.P), But Norway overall for BM.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 30 Aug 2005, 13:58
    Norway,for Black Metal <3

• Finland at least owns the folkinspired melodic dm-genre.. ;)
    I think Finland own in general, if you ask me:
    Nightwish, Sonata Arctica, Children of Bodom, Norther, Ensiferum, Turisas, Mors Principium Est, Finntroll, Teräsbetoni ans so on \m/

But Sweden (where I comes from) also got lots of great band, but often with a different style compared to our finnish neightbours:
    In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, Arch Enemy, Evergrey, Opeth, Nocturnal Rites, Tad Morose, Dark Funeral and so on..

I haven't really heard much of the norwegian bands, mainly because I'am not very much into BM.

And Mercenary from Denmark rules :D

Iceland: Do they really play metal over there? *just joking* ;) Haven't heard anything though..

• Windir_ said...
    • User
    • 5 Sep 2005, 14:32
    Norway black metal is very good: Burzum, Carpathian forest, Borknagar, Enslaved, Communic, Emperor, Theatre of tragedy and offcourse Windir ;)

And i like very much Finland metal, the best viking/folk :)

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.