Anette Olzon

• Anette Olzon

What do you people think of the new singer of Nightwish?
    Her voice is verry Beautiful,but does she fit in with Nightwish...lets hear your opinion!!!

• Still not enough material for me to compare. I want to hear Anette singing faster songs and some of older stuff. As for now, she seems well enough, sometimes very similar to Liv Kristine.

Edited by CotBayun on 24 May 2007, 22:54
  • Well I haven't heard the whole of Eva so I won't say anything more about her voice before tomorrow, but she seems a tad too pop for me. I'm not sure why. Even her movie taste is pop and yes I'm aware it has nothing to do with music :P Plus she looks like someone and I'm pretty sure it's someone who makes horrible dance music in Finland, but I can't remember her name for the life of me.
    She seems nice, though. Just not sure she's Nightwish. As expected this will take some getting used to.

• Difficult to say. But I hope she'll be a good singer. Its too hard to wait more time :)

• In internet appear another different song, you shouldn´t trust, the real is a ballad.
    She has a good voice but she isn´t Tarja :(.

Edited by malefic3 on 25 May 2007, 12:17
    • notjack said...
    • User
    • 25 May 2007, 09:48
    Now that I bought Eva single and I've listened the song over and over again, I'm pretty sure that the world isn't ending here.

Anette truly has a beautiful voice and though Eva is just one song and a ballad, I think that Tuomas and the others have made the right choice. Anette's voice is soft (who would sing ballads hard anyway), but there's that little metal sound in the background that gives a reason to believe that faster and/or heavier songs won't be a problem to her.

I can't wait for the new album to be released... It's a torture that we have to wait so long, wasn't the releasing day somewhere in September...

• wisec said...
    • User
    • 25 May 2007, 10:19
    ^ I agree...

• Sihi said...
    • User
    • 25 May 2007, 10:26
    Don't really know what say about the new singer, because i only have heard "Eva".
    Well... She sounds a little bit too "normal". But maybe she's better on the new album.

• thyyhc said...
    • User
    • 25 May 2007, 16:15

Anette's fact file

Name:
    Anette Olzon

Birthday:
    21 June 1971

Place of residence:
    Sweden

Hobbies:
    Exercising, clothes, reading books and taking long walks in the wild.

Vices:
    None ;=)

Musical background:
    I was raised in a musical family and I've been singing since childhood. My mom also forced me to play the oboe for 8 years! I toured constantly with my mom and her band in my childhood, sometimes I even sang on stage with them.

After I turned 13, I started competing in several talent shows. I joined my first real band when I was 17, it was a cover band and all the other musicians were older than me. After playing cover songs, I joined a band called Alyson Avenue, first just as a studio singer, later as their leading lady. We've released 2 albums since 2000.

At the age of 21, I played the leading role in a rock opera/musical called "Gränsland" in Helsingborg. After that I got in to the Balettakademien in Gothenburg. In addition to the already mentioned, I've been in several other bands over the years, I've sung in choirs, done studio work for various projects and I've even occasionally been a wedding singer. Recently I sang a duet with Michael Bormann (ex-Jaded Heart-singer) on his album "Conspiracy". During my singing career I've sung nearly every kind of music that there is!

In my earlier days I took singing lessons at the Copenhagen Music Conservatorie, in Helsingör, Denmark with a private teacher. Nowadays, when its needed, I take lessons from a private teacher at the Malmö Music University.

Equipment:
    Whatever microphone and in-ear system the NW-crew fix for me.

Idols in music:
    I don't have any real "idols" nowadays, but I do look up to all musicians that are humble and do not think too much of themselves.

Idols in life:
    People that are themselves, despite what other people think.

Life philosophy:
    Live your life fully - love, laugh and cry with all your heart, life doesn't last forever...

Place you would like to go:
    Oh, there are so many!! Lapland, Australia, New Zealand, Iceland, Egypt....

What makes you laugh:
    Oh, many things... it's easy to make me laugh... but mainly funny tv-series like Jackass and Friends and of course Emppu and Ewo..

First record you bought:
    Well the first one was, of course since I am Swedish, an ABBA album...

All time top 5 albums:
    Can't name just 5...

Killing time on tour:
    We'll see... But it'll most likely be reading, watching movies and playing games.

Preparation for a show:
    I do my vocal warm-up and drink some green tea with honey. I always need to spend the last 10 minutes before a show on my own to focus properly, to prepare myself mentally and to relax.

Strangest experience on tour:
    I do not have the kind of tour memories that the guys have since I've only done concerts in Scandinavia, but I still remember the old days with my first cover band Take Cover, when we played at a motorcycle party somewhere in the south of Sweden. They had strippers, and the crowd was screaming "Show us your boobs" etc. to me.. After the gig, when we should've collected the payment, some MC-guys started to fight with the guys in our band and we had to drive away with a full-loaded car and its attached trailer as fast as we could.. I was scared... Brr...
    They also destroyed one of our big speakers by pouring beer into it...
    Grrr...

Worst nightmare on stage:
    Losing my voice, not being able to sing as good as I'd want...

Favorite Nightwish song:
    All the songs from the new album "Ever Dream", "Higher than Hope".

Worst nightmare in general:
    Losing my voice and that something would happen to my closest family members or to my friends.

Favorite band/musician:
    There are too many!

Favorite book:
    I have many favourites, but I love Paolo Coelho's books, mainly "Veronica decides to die". I also loved Dan Brown's "Angels and Demons".

Favorite drink:
    Sparkling mineral water with some nice added taste, vanilla vodka and cider.

Favorite food:
    Many - Chinese, sushi, Thai, Mexican...

Favorite animal:
    Cats and horses.

Favorite movie:
    "Titanic", "Gladiator", "Braveheart" and many more...

Favorite TV show:
    I don't watch that much TV, but I love "Desperate Housewives" and "Friends"!

Dumbest question you have ever been asked:
    None, there are no dumb questions.. 'cause if the person asking the question feels that she/he wants to know it, it's not a dumb question for them.

Sometimes it feels it would be better for us all
    If I ceased to exist or was never born at all
    Sometimes it feels it would be easier to fall
    than to flutter in the air with these wings so weak and torn
  • malefic3 said:
    Yeah, it´s true, it´s similar to Liv Cristine! I like when Marco appear in the song. She has a good voice but she isn´t Tarja :(

no it's not nightwish.it's delain's day for ghosts and the girl is really liv kristine it's her duet with marco.;) but people put it on the websites as nightwish eva. now the real eva is for sale. you can also hear the new song on youtube;)

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 26 May 2007, 11:27
    Tarja was so good it's hard to sing better, but I think Anette has some skills and that she'll fit quite well. I'm very excited by the new album, and I looking forward the more powerfull songs !
    Anyway, it's strange, her voice seems too "cristaline" in comparison with Tarja's one...

• I've only heard Eva and 3 samples from others songs, so I'm just judging from those. I think her voice will fit in with the songs from Century Child and Once, but I can't imagine her singing Wishmaster or Stargazers! But I guess that era is over anyway...

• She seems to be a strange choice,since she doesnt have experience in big bands or metal for that matter, and I thought it'd be someone younger.But I dont think they would make such a choice if they didnt believe she could do it.We'll wait and see.

I can’t think of any greater happiness than to be with you all the time, without interruption, endlessly, even though I feel that here in this world there’s no undisturbed place for our love, neither in the village nor anywhere else; and I dream of a grave, deep and narrow, where we could clasp each other in our arms as with clamps, and I would hide my face in you and you would hide your face in me, and nobody would ever see us any more.
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 26 May 2007, 16:28
    I heard some samples from some songs of their new album today.
    And I absolutely don't like her, I won' t even hear the album. She even can' t sing, damn it. She screams, she doesn' t sing.
    It' s unbelievable.
    I want Tarja back, more than anything.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 26 May 2007, 19:24
    Of course she will be (and are) judged, some people want Tarja back, but accept the fact, Tarja won't come back, so accept Anette or don't listen to Nightwish, no one needs it.
    I personally like her, her's voice is a bit similar to Liv Kristine's voice. At the first listen of Eva there was some doubts, but if you more listen to it then more you like it. Now I've heard those three more previews, and I'm satisfied with them. The new album will be good, ''just'' three months left.

• Dear lord. They could have at least picked someone that didn't look like a country singer on crack. Also, she's a LOT older than Tarja. She's nearly 36, which I don't like, when I think of bands' frontswomen, I don't want to think of someone as old as my mother. That's just how it is with me...

Looks and age aside, I despise her voice. Sure, she can do nicely in ballads, but hearing the clips on the Nightwish site for the new album just makes me cringe. In one of the clips [7 Days To The Wolves], she was just yelling, not singing at all. It was extremely annoying and hard on my ears. She sounds like she'd do better singing country, pop, or just ballads rather than metal.

I wasn't a huge fan of Tarja either, but Tarja was a lot better than this woman. I like and respect the band, even though they kicked Tarja. I'm trying to respect the band's decision to add Anette, but it's extremely hard to do so. I guess I can try to listen to their new songs and stuff, but it'll be hard, and it will take a lot of getting-used-to.

In short: I dislike her greatly, and think NW could've picked much better than her.

• xromanticidex said:

Looks and age aside, I despise her voice. Sure, she can do nicely in ballads, but hearing the clips on the Nightwish site for the new album just makes me cringe. In one of the clips [7 Days To The Wolves], she was just yelling, not singing at all. It was extremely annoying and hard on my ears. She sounds like she'd do better singing country, pop, or just ballads rather than metal.

Agreed. She sort of drowns in the music when she should be the queen of the songs. When I was listening to the samples I was thinking Marco should've been the new vocalist. He has long hair he just needs a dress.

• VerityVulpes said:
    xromanticidex said:

Agreed. She sort of drowns in the music when she should be the queen of the songs. When I was listening to the samples I was thinking Marco should've been the new vocalist. He has long hair he just needs a dress.

I WAS THINKING THE SAME THING. O_O

They so should've made Marco the vocalist. I've said that so many times in the past week. :D

• Hehe high five!

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 27 May 2007, 13:06
    xromanticidex said:
    Dear lord. They could have at least picked someone that didn't look like a country singer on crack.

LMAO! You are talking complete bullshit!

Actually I don't care how old is she, her's voice is good, and if you don't agree then it's your problem.
    It looks that you have no idea about voice in metal. Tell me, how should sound a female singer in a metal band?

• DKDIB said...
    • User
    • 27 May 2007, 13:49
    I will say nothing about Anette until I listened a song like the live version of "Slaying the dreamer". ;)

"In 18 anni non ero mai servita a nessuno, ma qui posso aiutare e persino essere necessaria agli altri."
    .hack//SIGN special - Intermezzo
    • iSui said...
    • User
    • 27 May 2007, 17:21
    Well, I like her voice, but it's not that special for me, 'cause many singers in this genre sound similar to her imho.

But I think Tuomas could have chosen worse and I think (hope) she'll make a good job though her voice is a little to weak as far as I can say from the samples.

Oh, and she's very pretty and seems to be a nice person.;)

About Marco being the new vocalist..I said this already after they fired Tarja.xD

"Sans toi, les émotions d'aujourd'hui
    ne seraient que la peau morte des émotions d'autrefois."

ღ Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain

Wanna join my group? :)
  • aigars666 said:
    xromanticidex said:
    Dear lord. They could have at least picked someone that didn't look like a country singer on crack.

LMAO! You are talking complete bullshit!

Actually I don't care how old is she, her's voice is good, and if you don't agree then it's your problem.
    It looks that you have no idea about voice in metal. Tell me, how should sound a female singer in a metal band?

Does it really matter? Just because you disagree with me doesn't make my opinion "complete bullshit". Her voice is completely drowned out in the music in one of the clips I heard. How should a female sound in metal? Nice on the ears and not as drowned out in the music as she is. I didn't say she sucked, I said she can do ballads nicely. In my opinion she'd be better suited for something besides metal.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 27 May 2007, 23:05
    Anette, as noted by others, is too soft of voice EVEN on a ballad. But she's got potential. This *is* her first album with a new band, and she is still getting the feelers of it all and all. So maybe she'll get more self confident and belt it out.

The band, however, must not see the hahafunny in all this. Firing one singer because she was too self-confident and hiring one who seems to be quasi-doormat.

• I think he refers to your comments about her appearence and age,and he is right.(@xromanticidex)
    It's impressively shallow.

As for her voice, I've only heard Eva, and it's nice. Doesn't seem to be as good as Tarja, but its just one song.
    If you want to hear Marco singing more, listen to Tarot.Just amazing. Tuomas wants a female lead vocalist.
    P.S.1: Not personally adressed to anyone, but I am quite sure that there are many who have pre-decided they wouldnt like the new singer, unless it was the one they wanted.

P.S.2: Nice on the ears is a bit vague.

I can’t think of any greater happiness than to be with you all the time, without interruption, endlessly, even though I feel that here in this world there’s no undisturbed place for our love, neither in the village nor anywhere else; and I dream of a grave, deep and narrow, where we could clasp each other in our arms as with clamps, and I would hide my face in you and you would hide your face in me, and nobody would ever see us any more.
    Edited by VampyreAngel on 27 May 2007, 23:16
Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.