Any love for American new wave bands?

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 25 Mar 2006, 05:26

Any love for American new wave bands?

Now, I assure you that you guys will vehemently deny this, but it seems like most of the artists mentioned on here are British. Now, I have no problem with British new wave...I love it all the same...but I also happen to love me some American new wave bands, especially The Cars, Talking Heads and Blondie (who I don't have on my computer because my CDs refuse to upload! grrr...)

But anyway, I was just asking. I'm a really diehard fan of The Cars, and it seems like there's an American shortage here! But then again, there really isn't any true definition of new wave, it's basically any more poppy form of punk in the late 70s/early 80s that frequently uses synthesizers and the modern-day bands that were influenced by the original new wavers; more recent bands like Franz Ferdinand.

• I listen to American new wave too. Like The Cars, Blondie, Missing Persons. I noticed before though that most of the new wave I listen to is a product of Europe. Since I have bands from Britain and Germany and the neighboring countries. It's not that I don't like the stuff from America, just I don't find as many bands. But the ones you said I like.

Eccentric Musical Captain. Music Advice Center is where it's at!

I'm part of the New Order that works at a Kraftwerk. (That's a Power Station for all the Simple Minds out there.)
  • Yes, the American bands is also cool! Debbie Harry was my favourite singer and a real sex-symbol in my childhood:).And you forget the Devo - it's a realy great band! The NewYork scene of 70's was mighty - Television, Blondie, Talking Heads etc. I don't like modern bands which trying to play like "old school"-it's only image for MTV,nothing more, and the music is on the second place. But it's just my own impression.
    IAC most of all i like German 80's stuff:)

• noo_dog said...
    • User
    • 23 Apr 2006, 10:17
    don't forget Oingo Boingo either. Fav new wave band of mine, them and Talking Heads

Sex is slavery, depravity is emancipation.
  • What about, R.E.M., Information Society, The Nails, The Go-Go's, The Flirts, Book Of Love, The B-52's, 10,000 Maniacs, The Call, Romeo Void, Animotion, Lets Active, The Flying Lizards, 'Till Tuesday, The Waitresses, They Might Be Giants, Violent Femmes, Edie Brickell & New Bohemians & The Ramones.

Some Canadians too, The Pursuit of Happiness, Men Without Hats & The Payola$. :)

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 15 Aug 2006, 01:44
    R.E.M. new wave? =/

If you're talking about their early stuff I consider that college rock.

But gah I can't believe I forgot The B-52's. I love them.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 14 Aug 2007, 15:22
    i'd consider The Scissor Sisters New Wave. they rock u should listen to them. and yeah Franz Ferdinand, the killers, some would also consider the dandy warhouls, panic at the disco, fall out boy, and my chemical romance as being some what new wave. i wouldint tho.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 14 Aug 2007, 15:23
    some american new wave bands are good. but the best is the British New Wave/ New Romantic Movement/era.
    the best music.
    the best times.
    the best bands
    the best sounds.
    i do like some american "college rock"
    they might be giants
    are 2 awesome new wave bands

• _vinko_ said...
    • User
    • 19 Aug 2007, 23:00
    The Feelies
    Mission of Burma

• I love American New Wavers. Heck, I love any New Wave. But Blondie, the Go-Gos, the Cars, Berlin, Romeo Void, Missing Persons, all favorites of mine. Even Prince had New Wave elements in his early work.

• I love them as well; Blondie & The B-52's are definitely my favourites!

• calefan said...
    • User
    • 17 Nov 2007, 20:33
    Well, being a NYer, I guess I'm partial to the Talking Heads, Television (if you call them new wave), the Cramps, the Bongos and Blondie. But I've grown more & more to LOVE the Cars and, of course, their compatriots from Boston, Willie Alexander!

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.