2 Skinnee J's

• ZJP said...
    • User
    • 15 Apr 2005, 07:10

2 Skinnee J's

I think they should be a connected artist. They're even featured in the wikipedia article about Nerdcore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nerdcore

• phiz said...
    • User
    • 17 Apr 2005, 06:23
    I don't think these guys are nerdcore. Nerdcore to me, kinda means that it was made in your bedroom on a PC (or MAC.) 2 Skinee Js, while the epitome of all that is righteous and awesome in the university, I don't see as NerdCore.
    -PHiZ

• Re:

Quoth phiz:
    I don't think these guys are nerdcore. Nerdcore to me, kinda means that it was made in your bedroom on a PC (or MAC.) 2 Skinee Js, while the epitome of all that is righteous and awesome in the university, I don't see as NerdCore.
    -PHiZ

well i'd have to disagree, even on the mc frontalot site they're listed as nerdcore. in fact they've been call nerdcore for about as long as i can remember. Since when are genres deffined on where you make the music? maybe i just didn't understand your protest, maybe if you rewored it i'd understand your point a bit better.

• ed_d said...
    • User
    • 19 Apr 2005, 05:37
    I wouldn't really say they were hip-hop though.

If you're interested in Australian hip-hop join here -> Aussie Hip-Hop
    Like watching AFL? Then join here -> AFL
    Does commercial radio annoy the hell out of you? Join -> Commercial Radio Drives Me Insane
    Also check out my web site -> http://www.whoopwhoop.com.au
    • phiz said...
    • User
    • 24 Apr 2005, 03:20

Re: Re:

Quoth mrnegative:
    well i'd have to disagree, even on the mc frontalot site they're listed as nerdcore. in fact they've been call nerdcore for about as long as i can remember. Since when are genres deffined on where you make the music? maybe i just didn't understand your protest, maybe if you rewored it i'd understand your point a bit better.

Well, look at the guys who you can really authoritatively call nerdcore. Chris, and Frontalot. They are Indie, DIY, mainly produced in home computer studios. The close affiliation with the Internet as a distribution medium seems to be a part of the genre too. Now 2 Skinne Js, is a stuido band who were on a real label and such.

Turns out I know the guy that wrote the wikipedia entry, and actually just saw him at a confrence for Art and Technology in Cleveland.

-PHiZ

• sstair said...
    • User
    • 25 Apr 2005, 02:45
    So if MC Frontalot got a record deal, he'd stop being Nerdcore? I have to disagree with your definition. What makes music Nerdcore is the content, not the production method, IMO.

• phiz said...
    • User
    • 30 Apr 2005, 06:23
    MC Frontalot doesn't have a record deal, he gives away his music for free on the Internet. It is wholly a different paradigm than 2SJ, who came up in the music scene through normal channels. The production enviornment, and the distribution are a heavy part of the NerdCore ethos.

-PHiZ

Edited by phiz on 30 Apr 2005, 06:24
  • chris records his stuff in DJ John's studio in new york.

• sstair said...
    • User
    • 2 Mar 2006, 23:33

Re:

Quoth phiz:
    MC Frontalot doesn't have a record deal, he gives away his music for free on the Internet.
    -PHiZ

Front now has a real CD, purchasable on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CADH8U/sr=8-1/qid=1141342374/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-4071116-0842412?%5Fencoding=UTF8, yet he is still Nerdcore.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 15 Sep 2006, 20:44
    Well, to be honest, I have a distinction in my mind between things like 2 Skinee J's, Deltron 3030, Grand Buffet etc. and things like MC Frontalot, mc chris, Optimus Rhyme (which I haven't had much luck in finding)...

That said, I'd call any nerdy rap or hip-hop nerdcore.

• It's all about the content. If it's nerdy in it's common lyrical nature, it's nerdcore. FSR, chris, Front, Lars, Optimus, they all record in studios, and the latter 4 have all sold there music. Consequently, they are some of the biggest names in nerdcore.

• Yeah, it's content. Not the method. Also, Optimus is awesome. :)

If you see Kay, Tell him he may. See you in tea, Tell him from me.
    http://www.zeronews-fr.com/flash/super-mario-communist.php
Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.