New New Musical Express - May 2008

• Babs_05 said...
    • 29 May 2008, 01:10

Video: The Zutons - Always Right Behind You

A guilty pleasure in the making. Glam-rock from The Zutons with their new single, Always Right Behind You, out this week.

Video

• Babs_05 said...
    • 29 May 2008, 01:26

Cut Copy - In Ghost Colours

I've tagged In Ghost Colours from Cut Copy my gang 08 for our Featured Albums 08 radio.

Fun electro-pop from Australia. Don't think you're going to sit still when it's playing.

MySpace

Video Lights & Music

• Babs_05 said...
    • 29 May 2008, 01:47

Al Green - Lay It Down

Amazon

Real soul is back.

Al Green and friends, including Anthony Hamilton, John Legend, Corinne Bailey Rae, ?uestlove and the Dap Kings horn section, on the new album from the reverend himself, Lay It Down.

Listen to You've Got The Love I Need featuring Anthony Hamilton - here.

MySpace

Aural upload of Stay With Me (By The Sea), featuring John Legend.

• Babs_05 said...
    • 29 May 2008, 02:52

The Fallen Leaves - It's Too Late Now

They do make it like they used to.

60s beat, 80s punk/mod, sharp melodic garage-pop from the fallen leaves, It's Too Late Now, fully streamable in Last.fm and tagged 'my gang 08'

• Babs_05 said...
    • 29 May 2008, 03:07

Various Artists - Miles From India

Amazon

Conflicting reviews on this. Some like the juxtaposition of original Miles Davis sidemen and Indian classical musicians, others find it a bit cut-and-paste.

You can hear 'So What' at Dusted Reviews, who enjoyed it.

The 2 CD album will be released 2 June. Hopefully, it will be available in Last.fm so we can check it out.

• Babs_05 said...
    • 29 May 2008, 03:32

Natacha Atlas & the Mazeeka Ensemble - Ana Hin

Amazon

Natacha Atlas teams up with the Mazeeka Ensemble for her new album, Ana Hina.

MySpace - Natacha Atlas

There's nowhere to hear tracks apart from at Zavvi which only has short clips.

Electronica has now been replaced by strings as Natacha moves into more traditional Middle Eastern fare.

Black Is The Colour is her delicate interpretation of Nina Simone's Black Is the Color of My True Love's Hair. La vida Callada was inspired by a Frida Kahlo poem.

• Babs_05 said...
    • 29 May 2008, 04:09

Oscar Peterson - Plays Count Basie

Last.fm

A near-masterpiece and fully streamable in Last.fm.

Oscar Peterson and Count Basie both had and this is the starting point for Peterson's tribute. Peterson's virtuoso piano features with guitarist Herb Ellis, bassist Ray Brown, and guest drummer Buddy Rich.

One of the greatest pianists of all time, Peterson died December 23, 2007. This album was originally recorded in 1955 and was re-released earlier this month.

Oscar Peterson at All About Jazz

• Babs_05 said...
    • 29 May 2008, 23:13

Found In Last.fm: Various Artists - Raymond Weil 2008

Last.fm

I have no idea what this is, apart from it's one very badly tagged album and, from what I've heard so far, not bad.

It comes up linked to Mayra Andrade but that's not right, she's just one of the featured artists. Others include Miles Davis, Carmen McRae, Rue De Paris and Billie Holiday.

It's obviously some sort of promotional release for the fancy watchmakers. If you know more about it, leave me a shout or PM.

• Babs_05 said...
    • 29 May 2008, 23:53

Vetiver - Thing Of The Past

Last.fm

The new album from alt-folk group Vetiver, Thing of the Past, streamable in Last.fm.

It's a low-key album of favourites covered by songwriter Andy Cabic, with appearances from Vashti Bunyan and friend of the band, Michael Hurley. From here, you get an idea of the band's influences. Sources include Townes Van Zandt, Biff Rose, Loudon Wainwright III and Hawkwind.

• Babs_05 said...
    • 30 May 2008, 00:16

Midnight Juggernauts - Dystopia

Last.fm

Summery electro-dance goodness from Melbourne band Midnight Juggernauts - Dystopia. Fully streamable in Last.fm, where there is also a Bonus Disc. I've tagged both for the 08 radio.

Similar: Air, Daft Punk, Justice, Phoenix.

Video Into The Galaxy

• Babs_05 said...
    • 30 May 2008, 01:19

Neil Diamond - Home Before Dark

Last.fm

I'm struggling with the new album from Neil Diamond, Home Before Dark.

Much as I love the guy for his top quality guilty pleasure tracks, Sweet Caroline, Forever in Blue Jeans, Cracklin' Rosie, etc, I'm not really enjoying this new offering so much.

It's not his voice, that's alright, he's more mature and it has gravitas. It's not the music, although it's not exactly groundbreaking. It's the lyrics. They keep making me cringe. In fact, they're dreadful. I'm talking Hallmark greetings cards. Disappointing, considering his songwriting skills. How it's shot to number one both sides of the Atlantic is beyond me.

I've tagged the album for our 08 radio for now, but all I need is an excuse to take it off. Just one complaint. A solo suggestion. (I'm begging you).

No point posting a video here. The hype is overwhelming. There's no avoiding him.

Oh I know, I'll post something nice.

Video Solitary Man 1966. And if you like that, try Johnny Cash's cover - Solitary Man

The Monkees - A Little Bit Me, a Little Bit You (written by Neil Diamond). Sound isn't very good but it's a funny clip from the show.

• Babs_05 said...
    • 30 May 2008, 02:06

Tracy Grammer - The Verdant Mile and Book of Sparrows

Last.fm

Obsessively going through all the 'Solitary Man' covers in Last.fm proved to be a fruitful exercise. Look what I found!

Tracy Grammer - The Verdant Mile

Appropriate tags would be americana, acoustic, folk, pop. Country-tinged soft, pretty songs. I think they'll provide a nice contrast to other music tagged in our 08 radio.

From Last.fm:

Initially known as half of the critically acclaimed folk group Dave Carter & Tracy Grammer, Tracy has emerged as a transcendant artist in her own right in the years since Dave’s untimely death. Now the guardian of Dave Carter’s musical legacy, she combines his songs—plus some of her own—with her formidable talents at voice, violin, mandolin, and other instruments.

The 7 track EP was originally recorded in 2004 and released on import in the UK last week.

MySpace

Also tagged for our radio is Book of Sparrows, released in the UK in January this year.

Last.fm

• Babs_05 said...
    • 30 May 2008, 02:38

Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes and Sun Giant EP

Last.fm - Sun Giant EP

I couldn't have planned this next post better.

In keeping with Tracy Grammer is Fleet Foxes, all americana, folk, baroque pop.

Whilst the (perhaps superior) Sun Giant EP, released April 08, is available in Last.fm, we're still waiting for their album proper, Fleet Foxes, due next month, 9 June. You can hear it in its entirety on their MySpace right now, which also has a free download of White Winter Hymnal.

Amazon - Fleet Foxes

• Babs_05 said...
    • 30 May 2008, 03:13

Faustus - Faustus

Amazon

Staying on a folk theme, Faustus is a collaborative project between three highly respected folk musicians. This is proper, traditional, old-fashioned english folk music.

They are Paul Sartin - gypsy fiddle, oboe and ex-Dr Faustus; Saul Rose - melodeon and ex player with Norma Waterson and Martin Carthy; and Benji Kirkpatrick - guitar, bouzouki and ex-Bellowhead who has worked on Seth Lakeman's albums, the Oysterband Big Session and Dr Faustus, Benji continues to play in his father's ceilidh band Mr Gubbins Bicycle.

Their collaborative album, Faustus, was released 12 May 2008.

There is nothing uploaded in Last.fm yet, you can hear a few tracks on their MySpace.

• Babs_05 said...
    • 30 May 2008, 03:36

Exposure: Hoodlums

Last.fm single - The Beat Bop

Southend four-piece Hoodlums give us skiffle punk-pop. Their new single is fully streamable in Last.fm and tagged for our 08 radio.

Lou Vainglorious. Yes, really.

I almost overlooked this after seeing the lead singer's name - Lou Vainglorious. Poseur. But as they say, never judge a book by its cover. You can hear a whole bunch of demos on their MySpace.

They look like a bunch of old school gangsters and have equally appropriate names. Lou Vainglorious is on guitar, there's Piniman on big bass; Two Toms Tyler on drums; and Tino on guitar.

Their appeal lies across the last few decades. Indie scenesters will want to dress like them, and their parents will be telling them who they remind them of. The more I listen, the more I like. No news of an album yet. Hope there is one soon.

• Babs_05 said...
    • 30 May 2008, 04:00

Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan - Sunday at Devil Dirt

Amazon

There is a greater rapport between Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan on their second album, Sunday At Devil Dirt. Most likely because they actually recorded it together.

Their debut was recorded with each singer adding their bit then posting across the Atlantic to the other for theirs. Whilst Ballad of the Broken Seas sounded far from a cut'n'paste job, you can hear much more intimacy and chemistry in Sunday At Devil Dirt, which came out earlier this month.

An unusual coupling that sounds perfect together.

The Independent - interview with Isobel Campbell, 2 May 08

• Babs_05 said...
    • 30 May 2008, 16:52

Last.fm News: Festival Radio

Last.fm has a partnership with selected festivals as official media collaborator.

Festival pages sponsored by Last.fm contain the festival radio.

eg: Roskilde Festival

Source: Last.fm Forums

• Babs_05 said...
    • 30 May 2008, 18:56

Lonely Drifter Karen - Grass Is Singing

Last.fm - Grass Is Singing

Welcome to the world of the strange and charming. Magical realism in the form of music.

Alternative, folk, pop, drawing in elements from French chanson, Kurt Weill cabaret, Tom Waits noir, tango, eastern European folk, twisted jazz, Broadway musicals, fairy tales and travelling circuses. It wouldn't be out of place in a David Lynch movie. In art, the term for them would be faux naïve, describing a deceptively simple, child-like style created by trained artists.

Lonely Drifter Karen are a Barcelona-based three-piece: Austrian Tanja Frinta, the Spanish pianist Marc Melia and the Italian percussionist Giorgio Menossi.

It is Tanja Frinta's imaginative, at times surreal, songwriting that brings a surprising darkness to the bright, cheerful music. Her singing style brings to mind Joanna Newsom (although I'd say Tanja is easier on the ear). I am most reminded of the Amelie soundtrack.

There is a free download of Some Summer Days on their
    MySpace

The Owl Moans Low

[video artist=lonely drifter karen]The Owl Moans Low[/video]

• Babs_05 said...
    • 30 May 2008, 20:48

Hayman, Watkins, Trout And Lee - Hayman, Watkins, Trout And Lee

Last.fm - Hayman, Watkins, Trout And Lee

If you're enjoying The Coal Porters in our 08 tag radio, you'll like Hayman, Watkins, Trout And Lee. may quite possibly be the next big thing.

Band members are indie musicians exercising their personal passions for blues, folk and country. Alan Lomax, Smithsonian Folkways and American folk anthology form the foundations. It's an interesting twist. We're used to indie musicians experimenting once they've established themselves. Radiohead leaned more towards ambient, as did David Sylvian after he left Japan. Two examples, there are many more. What we're not used to is an attraction to country or bluegrass.

From their MySpace:

Band members: Darren Hayman (Hefner, The French) on bass and vocals, Dan Mayfield (Enderby, Ellis Island Sound, The Secondary Modern) on violin, Dave Tattersall (The Wave Pictures) on guitar and vocals and Dave Watkins (Pete and the Egg, The Secondary Modern) on banjo. Ex Members Simon Trought (Tompaulin, Mat Sawyer and the Ghosts), John Lee (B-Monster)

The music is true, enthusiastic, rough and ready, imperfect and, most of all, fun.

Also from their MySpace:

Alexander Church wanted to play Banjo and play in a bluegrass band. He mentioned this idea at a dinner party at which Darren and Dave W were present. A week or two later Dave W and Darren nicked Xands idea and went and bought a banjo. Alexander Church doesn't feature in this story again. Darren phoned John Lee and asked him if he wanted to join a bluegrass band. John replied; 'Yes! Great! Definitely! Whats bluegrass?'. Darren met Simon in Sweden at one of Tompaulin's last gigs. He had a mandolin and was keen. This line up lasted about a year from 2005. We had a lot of fun. The idea of the band has always not to concern ourselves too much with the industry, gettting record deals etc. We all have our other projects to obsess over, this band is a holiday! Give us some beers and pay our fare and if we're free we'll do a show! John Lee left in 2006 to live in France and for a while we were really stuck. Darren was keen for this to be a band with two lead singers. We auditioned maybe 3 people but it wasn't working. Dave Tattersall moved to London, and quickly met up with Simon and Darren. Simon suggested him as a replacement for john Lee. Dave T was already a front man and has a huge repertoire of songs. He can also play a blistering lead guitar. They recorded Hesitation Blues for a split single on Truck records. No sooner had we Dave T then Simon left due to the mandolin hurting his fingers. Dan was bought in as a rush replacement. No disrespect to Simon and John but this line up really is the best so far. Recently Dave T and Darren have started writing some material for the band anf they finally hope to start recording something soon and maybe even release something.

• Babs_05 said...
    • 30 May 2008, 22:05

Evan Christopher - Django à la Créole

Lejazzetal - Django à la créole

The music of Django Reinhardt in a creole style.

Video - Evan Christopher

The album is only available via the UK site lejazzetal where you can also hear previews of all the tracks.

Some background:

In late-August, 2005, powerful Hurricane Katrina compromised an inadequate U.S. Federal levy system leaving 80% of the city of New Orleans under water. Among the over four-thousand displaced musicians was clarinetist Evan Christopher, a California native who first moved to the Crescent City in 1994. With little more than his clarinet and a suitcase full of clothes, Christopher chose Paris, France for his exile at the invitation of the City of Paris. During this artist residency, funded by an American program called French-American Cultural Exchange, he worked diligently to raise awareness about the musical culture of New Orleans through concerts and masterclasses. He also formed his own groups, the JazzTraditions PROJECT and Django à la Créole.

For Django à la Créole, the idea was simple enough: Spice up the Hot Club texture pioneered by Django Reinhardt by emphasizing hallmarks of New Orleans Jazz including blues, rhythms of the monde Créole, and collective improvisation.

Christopher and his colleagues took their primary inspiration for Django à la Créole in the legendary guitarist's collaborations with American musicians, which included New Orleans clarinetists on several occasions. In 1934, Django performed and recorded with the New Orleans Créole clarinetist Frank "Big Boy" Goudie who had moved to Paris in the mid-20's. However, the most significant precedent for the fusion of New Orleans clarinet with the Gypsy Swing style was a loosely organized recording session in 1939 with Duke Ellington sidemen Rex Stewart and clarinetist Barney Bigard. When one hears Bigard's fluid lines and distinctly New Orleans sound artfully juxtaposed with Django's angular, virtuosic flights, it hardly seems coincidental that just a few months later, Django used violinist Stéphane Grapelli's departure as the perfect opportunity to use clarinetist Hubert Rostaing in the role of the Hot Club's lead instrument. Rostaing's style was, of course, heavily influenced by Benny Goodman and Artie Shaw, but on several recordings his warm, woody tone in the low register, rhythmic flexibility, and contrapuntal interaction with Django is more evocative of players such as Bigard or Omer Simeon.

Unfortunately, the album is not available yet in Last.fm. Fingers crossed it will be soon.

• Babs_05 said...
    • 31 May 2008, 01:03

Exposure: A Place To Bury Strangers

Last.fm - A Place To Bury Strangers

Industrial noise rock / shoegaze from Brooklyn band A Place To Bury Strangers who appeared at this year's SXSW festival.

Many of their influences come from the late 70s / early 80s including bands such as the Cocteau Twins, My Bloody Valentine, The Cure and Joy Division. If you told me I'd missed this band when I was at school, I'd believe you.

Faithful as they are to those who inspired them, that doesn't mean they're a pastiche. What they do is keep the magic whilst bringing it up-to-date. So you have shoegaze mixed with squally noise mixed with space / industrial rock. At other times, you have dirgey dark post-rock inspired by bands such as Mogwai and Slowdive, which you can hear in The Falling Sun below. Vocals, provided by Oliver Ackermann, are an indistinct monotonous drone, going well with the fuzzy sonics. Their total impact is nothing short of brilliant.

Their album is available in Last.fm (well half of it, there are actually 10 tracks) but if you want to download some tracks, including the single, 'To Fix The Gash In Your Head', head over to their MySpace. (although the download links aren't working for me right now)

The band will open for Nine Inch Nails on their forthcoming tour.

Video - To Fix the Gash In Your Head

Video (shot on webcam) I Know I'll See You

Video - The Falling Sun

Edited by Babs_05 on 3 Jun 2008, 16:51
    • Babs_05 said...
    • 31 May 2008, 01:18

Sparks - Exotic Creatures Of The Deep

Last.fm

Looks like the town is big enough for the both of them.

Sparks are back with a new single, Good Morning, taken from their new album, Exotic Creatures Of The Deep. Fully streamable and tagged. Oh yes.

• Babs_05 said...
    • 31 May 2008, 01:43

The B-52's - Funplex

Amazon

Staying with pop, The B-52's have a new album out, Funplex.

They've still got it; it never left them. The B-52's sound as good as ever. I was a bit worried for them, it's been 16 years, but the new release is very good stuff indeed.

Tracks are currently scattered on their page, not assembled under the album name. I'll tag them up individually for now. You can also hear a few tracks on their MySpace.

Video - Funplex

• Babs_05 said...
    • 31 May 2008, 10:26

Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago

Last.fm: Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago

Everyone must have heard the hype by now: guy goes out to a shack in the woods in the middle of winter, takes his guitar, writes some songs, records them "with nothing more than a few microphones and some aged recording equipment", doesn't finish them, puts out CD.

Uh huh.

I don't know. I want to like this album by my back's up. Much as I love my fairy tales, I'm not sure about this one. In case you missed it (biog from Last.fm):

Justin Vernon moved to a remote cabin in the woods of Northwestern Wisconsin at the onset of winter. Tailing from the swirling breakup of his long time band (DeYarmond Edison), he escaped to the property and surrounded himself with simple work, quiet, and space. He lived there alone for three months, filling his days with wood splitting and other chores around the land. This special time slowly began feeding a bold, uninhibited new musical focus.

This slowly evolved into days filled with twelve-hour recording blocks, breaking only for trips on the tractor into the pines to saw and haul firewood, or for frozen sunrises high up a deer stand. All of his personal trouble, lack of perspective, heartache, longing, love, loss and guilt that had been stock piled over the course of the past six years, was suddenly purged into the form of song. The end result is, For Emma, Forever Ago, a nine-song album comprised of what’s been dubbed a striking debut by critics and fans alike.

Bon Iver (pronounced: bohn eevair; French for “good winter” and spelled wrong on purpose) is a greeting, a celebration and a sentiment. It is a new statement of an artist moving on and establishing the groundwork for a lasting career. For Emma, Forever Ago is the debut of this lineage of songs. As a whole, the record is entirely cohesive throughout and remains centered around a particular aesthetic, prompted by the time and place for which it was recorded. Vernon seems to have tested his boundaries to the utmost, and in doing so has managed to break free from any pre-cursing or finished forms.

For Emma’s tracks consist of thick layers draped in lush choral walls, with rarely more than an ancient acoustic guitar or the occasional bass drum providing structure. Vernon sings the majority of the record in falsetto, which painfully expresses the meanings behind its overt, yet strangely entangled words. This newfound vocal path acts as each song’s main character and source of melody.

Despite its complexity, the record was created entirely by Vernon with nothing more than a few microphones and some aged recording equipment. This homemade aspect shows itself in sections as creaks and accidentals are exposed in the folds of the songs, but is hidden well by the highly impressive and almost orchestral sound that Vernon managed to produce by his lonesome, within the creaky skeleton of his father’s cabin.

All on his lonesome, my foot.

Well, to Last.fm's credit, there's only one track streamable at the time of writing. Way to go, as they say. Tagged for now, maybe it'll grow on me.

I like this one, and the video is beautiful.

Video - The Wolves (Act I & II)

• Babs_05 said...
    • 31 May 2008, 10:47

Death Cab For Cutie - Narrow Stairs

Last.fm: Death Cab for Cutie - Narrow Stairs

From one I thought I'd like but didn't, to one I thought I wouldn't like, but did!

Last time I checked, Death Cab For Cutie were all about emo. I didn't like anything I heard - and I gave them a fair chance. So it was quite something for me to try their new album, 'Narrow Stairs'. I'm glad I did. There's still some old emo-ness in there, and elements of their earlier style I didn't take to, but maybe they've got a new producer now I don't know, this album is outstanding.

My favourite track is You Can Do Better Than Me. It's short, cute and cheerful-sounding, just try not to dwell on the lyrics too much.

Aural upload - 'You Can Do Better Than Me'

Video - I Will Possess Your Heart (lead single, 8:31 mins)

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.