• Babs_05 said...
    • 5 Dec 2007, 01:03

New New Musical Express - December 2007

Edited by Babs_05 on 26 Jan 2008, 18:05
    • Babs_05 said...
    • 6 Dec 2007, 16:46

Sad Music - Violins

This is good: http://www.violinist.com/discussion/response.cfm?ID=6832

Someone asked for recommendations for sad music (strings). I wish I knew all the pieces well enough to find them and tag them. Looks like a good list to me.

• Babs_05 said...
    • 6 Dec 2007, 17:36

LCD Soundsystem - 45:33

LCD Soundsystem have created the perfect album to run / jog / exercise / dance by. Originally commissioned for Nike, 45:33 is a largely instrumental piece of music without any breaks. The 'pieces' move seamlessly from one 'track' to the next. It opens with gentle ambient music, ideal for warm-ups and stretches, then picks up the pace in a disco direction, taking you with it. It ends softly, again for those all important stretches before you stop.

Radiohead weren't the only ones breaking all the rules this year.

There's a great review in Amazon, if you want to know more:

intriuging and brilliant, 15 Nov 2007
    By Mark Reed
    The curious gestation of this record takes another step. Original commissioned as a digital download for Nike, "45.33" was envisaged as a continuous, one piece epic to soundtrack your corporate-sponsored exercise. Now, with LCD Soundsystem being en vogue and this years "Sound Of Silver" being the music of choice for advertising execs, hip-but-past-it commuters, and Vice-reading Indie Kids, their label has seen fit to finally issue this intriguing and brilliant experiement to be masses.

Now appended with some extra - and slightly incongruous - extra tracks, the main draw, and artistic triumph of "45.33" is the song itself. "45.33" is one long (and I mean long) largely instrumental mood piece that works only in it's entirety. In the olden days this would be known as Prog : where a song would last the length of a vinyl LP and only end because you couldn't fit any more than 23 minutes onto a side of a 33rpm vinyl disc. In this golden age of CD (and the unlimited size MP3) technology has now freed the artist to do whatever they'd like. What "45.33" is is a brave, and interesting instrumental expedition into the far reaches of music. Whilst the piece works as a cohesive whole, it also forms several separate chunks (as you would expect).

The modern song works in a variety of forms. Verse, chorus, middle eight, break. It's really laughable : these parts are then arranged to repeat a number of times. Devo wrote an album of around 40 songs - each of one intro, one verse, one chorus. Rather than repeat themselves they bend the form into new shapes. The medium is the message. By the same token, "45.33" takes each part of each song, and repeats it with a minimalist variation so it evolves and changes imperceptibly over the duration of the track. Motifs return from twenty or thirty minutes earlier in a new context, and the song resembles nothing so much as a highly danceable, groove-lead, ever changing and evolving piece of liquid music. Over the several musical identities, "45.33" constantly evolves, changes, leads and moves forwards. Many of the pieces here are unique to this release, whilst a couple of others are recycled, reworked, and recognisable from their other albums, albeit then melded to create a seamless uniform single mood piece.

"45.33" is quite unlike anything else you will probably hear all year : artistically uncompromised by the convention of form to create a undoubted and interesting musical success. Think of it as a companion piece of the earlier "Sound Of Silver", where both pieces of material are cut from different sides of the same musical coin, and you'll be pleased. Well worth investigating.

Fully streamable in Last.fm (at time of writing), tagged and .

• Babs_05 said...
    • 10 Dec 2007, 17:50

The Pirate Bay & Last.fm - Music section (beta)

The Pirate Bay announced 9 December 07:

Music section (beta)

Today we announce our new Music section for public beta testing.

It's found here. You can browse either by genre(s) or by artists. All the information about the artists come from the excellent site last.fm and is automatically matched when we find an artist name in a music torrent.

As it is just a beta, we're still developing this section, but it was good enough for release we thought. Hope you enjoy it!

(And for those who missed it - on every music torrent we have artist information on, there is a tab saying "show detailed artist info" which you can click to get that. This includes an last.fm-radio widget that you can pop up to listen to the music!)

Source: The Pirate Bay

• Babs_05 said...
    • 10 Dec 2007, 17:57

Radiohead Talking With iTunes; Will Shutter "In Rainbows" Site

London - Radiohead will end the choose-your-own-price experiment with the online release of its "In Rainbows" album on Monday, and is now in talks with Apple (NASD: AAPL) on an iTunes Store release for the record, Billboard reports.

"A big thank you to everyone who came and downloaded the music," reads a note on the band's website. "It's been the most positive thing we've done and we hope you shared the experience with others."

The end of the free download offer comes as the band prepares to release the album on CD through XL Recordings in the U.K. on Dec. 31, and in the U.S. through ATO Records Group on Jan. 1.

As for digital availability, to this point, the band has eschewed the iTunes Store entirely, because Apple allows consumers to buy individual tracks, while Radiohead insists on full-albums only.

Bryce Edge, of Radiohead's management firm Courtyard Management, told Billboard that talks with Apple are ongoing.

U.K. digital retailer 7digital has been offering full-album-only Radiohead downloads since September.

Source: Digital Media Wire

• IanAR said...
    • Subscriber
    • 13 Dec 2007, 11:07

[Pirate Bay] Music Section + Last.fm's LKYSA 'Genre'

Babs_05 said:
    The Pirate Bay announced 9 December 07:

Music section (beta)

Today we announce our new Music section for public beta testing.

It's found here. You can browse either by genre(s) or by artists. All the information about the artists come from the excellent site last.fm and is automatically matched when we find an artist name in a music torrent.

Source: The Pirate Bay
    A certain Babs05 on StumbleUpon's just suggested (featured on thePirateBay.org/music), was my invention - not so. I have probably been the main proponent - and a part-time policeman for - the tag, but it was scarebear who invented it (Oct 2005) Google

I'm planning a replacement tag, based on Attention (time-stamped collaborative matrix tagging), to minimize problems, apparent with LKYSA, due to time sensitivity. However, meantime, if you'd like to listen to some, try:Note: For artists with less than three streamable tracks has become the tag of choice.

Happy discovering :) Ian Lesser Associated Yet Streamable Artists

• Babs_05 said...
    • 16 Dec 2007, 16:57

Sunday Times: Records of the Year 2007

The Sunday Times Records of The Year.

I tagged as much as I could find in Last.fm and created a tag radio: Sunday Times Best of 2007.

• Babs_05 said...
    • 17 Dec 2007, 23:23

Video: M.I.A. - Paper Planes (official video)

• Babs_05 said...
    • 23 Dec 2007, 14:57

Video: Panda Bear - Bros

Not the full 12 minutes but an edited version half that length. Very Christmassy, I think!

• Babs_05 said...
    • 28 Dec 2007, 22:36

Video: Lovely Audi R8 Commercial - Simone White - The Beep Beep Song

Absolutely perfect in every way.

Simone White - The Beep Beep Song

• Babs_05 said...
    • 29 Dec 2007, 17:38

Fully Streamable Track: My Brightest Diamond - Lucky

• Babs_05 said...
    • 30 Dec 2007, 00:43

Journal: The Lucky Soul Xmas Disaster, by Woodshed1

The Lucky Soul Xmas Disaster, by Woodshed1.

Extract:

Last.fm went all out to try and defeat Simon 'the evil Simon Cowell' Cowell in his bid for another X-Factor Crimbo and urged everyone to buy Lucky Soul's Lips Are Unhappy. There was much ballyhooing about the power of web 2.0 and a big internet vs. TV market-off and, in Last.fm's words, “real, independent music chosen by Last.fm’s passionate community vs. mass-marketed karaoke nonsense.”

How did it do?

It's hard to tell exactly. It didn't make the top 100 and they don't pay much attention after that. We can say for certain it did worse than Cliff Richard and Aled Jones.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.