Help building an open audio fingerprint database

• lukz said...
    • User
    • 8 Jul 2011, 15:59

Help building an open audio fingerprint database

Hi everybody, I'm running out of places with MusicBrainz users to spam, but let's try Last.fm too. :)

I've been working on an open source audio fingerprinting project called Acoustid and I really need help with building the fingerprint database. The main goal of the project is to link fingerprints to the MusicBrainz database, so I'm primarily looking for MusicBrainz users, who have their audio files tagged with a MusicBrainz-enabled tagger, but any submitted fingerprints help.

If you would like to contribute, please download the fingerprinter application and run it on your music collection. It doesn't modify your files in any way, it just reads the tags and calculates fingerprints based on the audio data. The tags along with the fingerprints are then submitted to the Acoustid server. The process is CPU intensive, but you can pause/stop it at any time and it will restart from where it stopped. Thank you!

• Already did. :-)

• liftarn said...
    • Wiki Moderator
    • 22 Nov 2011, 14:30
    Already did. I also use it in Picard.

BTW, will it be integrated in Picard later instead of as an external program?

Please do yourself and Last.fm a favour and fix your tags. The easiest way is to use Musicbrainz Picard.
    • lukz said...
    • User
    • 4 Dec 2011, 21:52
    Most likely not. It will stay as an external problem, but maybe there will be some built-in mechanism for downloading it automatically on Windows/Mac.

• liftarn said...
    • Wiki Moderator
    • 20 Dec 2011, 12:44
    Shouldn't it be possible to at least have it as a library that comes with the Picard installer. Having to download, install and configure it separately make less persons willing to use it.

Please do yourself and Last.fm a favour and fix your tags. The easiest way is to use Musicbrainz Picard.
  • Good work, btw.
    I'm trying to use the new service with picard, but experiencing limited success.

I was hoping that Picard would also be able to leverage the last.fm service, so that I can make use of a single app to resolve broken tags - is this something you'd consider integrating?

Once my collection has been cleaned up, I'll submit my fingerprints (less the bogus values)

• Downloading the tool now. Some of my tags are probably not MusicBrainz standard, since I usually just follow my common sense, but they aren't completely messed up either.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.