The Dark Ambient Desk:

• Cylob said...
    • User
    • 21 Jan 2007, 11:20

The Dark Ambient Desk:

Welcome to the Dark Ambient Desk:

Go ahead and leave your queries or recommendations.

Other Places:

Dark Ambient Panel

Secret Snacker & Accomplished Pen Thief At:
    Edited by Cylob on 21 May 2008, 10:50
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 21 Jan 2007, 12:17

Hexerei Im Zwielicht der Finsternis

Let's start with one of the classics of the genre. One of the darkests and most 'evil' albums ever. It will make you feel like you are in the old forest on midwinter's night, taking part in some forbidden ancient ritual... with human sacrifice... and it's you who is to be sacrificed...

The interesting fact is that it's the first project of Andrea Haugen, whose albums recorded as Hagalaz' Runedance and Nebelhexe I have already recommended here.

Highlights:
    Sacrifice
    Totentanz

Note: there is more than one band called Aghast. The one in question released only this album.

• -Putty- said...
    • User
    • 14 Feb 2007, 20:11
    Would you mind expanding a little on 'Dark Ambient' because to me it seems to defeat the idea of ambient a little.

• Cylob said...
    • User
    • 14 Feb 2007, 20:22
    Take "Music For Bondage Performance 2" by Merzbow.

I've listened to it a couple of times (when the house is quiet). You hear the sorts of things you'd associate with being in a metal workshop, the clanker of metal, the rustle of chains (of course), a little bit of screaching, noises that just sound sinister, odd and cold.

The surprising thing is, despite the dark tone it does pull off a relaxing atmosphere. So it's ambient in a way of its own.

Having said that, other Merbow releases are pure noise and (for me anyway) unlistenable. The question there is, is it still dark ambient, or has it crossed over into "noise". I'm not sure where the dividing line is.

I'm hoping to learn a bit more from this desk.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 14 Feb 2007, 20:31
    I think the dividing line between dark ambient and noise isn't very defined. The same is about the dividing line between them both and industrial.

Relaxing... I'm not sure if it's a good word... I'd say it's rather kind of catharsis.

Oh, new reviews will be posted soon, I just have exams at university and I'm a bit busy. This week I have last one so I'll start posting more again.

• -Putty- said...
    • User
    • 14 Feb 2007, 20:50
    I guess that kinda makes sense.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 22 Feb 2007, 22:03

Pick of the week

Well, time to write something...

Lost Fragments

Classic band of the genre. Why this album? No particular reason exept the fact I'm listening to it at the moment...

The music by Raison D'etre is just the definition of dark ambient.

• Cylob said...
    • User
    • 25 Feb 2007, 15:45
    Perfect. :)

This is more split between Dark Ambient and Industrial/EBM.

Machinenmusik (2004)

Discogs:

"...their sound is colder than death and darker than a total eclipse, in short, a very explosive and noisy experience"

This album's not as cold as all that, the beats are warm and standard-issue EBM really. The remarkable thing is the colossal 15th track, "Schalfmodus 1", which sounds like it came from a completely different album. The mix of dance beats (followed by the total lack of) makes this a strange yet well-balanced listen. Hats off!

Choice Cuts:
    Schlafmodus 1
    Plastik Fantastik
    Monoton Synchron

• Cylob said...
    • User
    • 26 Feb 2007, 09:18

MAC Album of the Day, 26th February 2007:

• Cylob said...
    • User
    • 1 Mar 2007, 07:49
    Copied from a hotdesk:

Ramez05 said:
    wanting to explore Merzbow but after looking at thier discography i was confused on where i should start and where i should finish with thier music.

can someone give me an idea of where to start?

• As far as I'm concerned, Merzbow's most accessible release is 1930.

Merzbeat, Merzbird and Music for Bondage Performance follow!

• Merzbow isn't dark ambient in the usual sense of the word (Lustmord comes most to mind), but Cylob's mention of Music for Bondage Performance 2 above is appropriate, because it's one of the quietest Merzbow albums. (So is Merzbow & Christoph Heeman's Sleeper awakes on the edge of the abyss, but it's rarer than hen's teeth.)

But where to start with Merzbow, without having to differentiate between analog and digital Merzbow... schizodanny is right about 1930, though that's relatively mellow Merzbow as well. I really like the more "themed" Merzbow albums; they may be somewhat atypical, but they provide a good "handle" for the new listener. Space Metalizer is the psychedelic / Moog-based one; Hard Lovin' Man is the '70s hard-rock album; Door Open at 10 a.m. is the free jazz album; etc. The collaboration with Jamie Saft, entitled Merzdub, is another brand of sonic mayhem entirely.

Probably the easiest title to find used is Venereology, his first U.S. release (on Relapse). Nothing but suffocating electronic screech and rumble.

• Cylob said...
    • User
    • 26 Mar 2007, 09:21

MAC Album of the Day, 26th March 2007:

Nordland (2002)

Chosen by NocnikStargazer.

Shopfront Albums Calendar, March 2007

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 26 Mar 2007, 14:21
    And it's also my Pick of the Week.

Wonderful dark ambient, very ritual, with some rhythmical elements and a bit of "symphonic" sounds... Extremally atmospheric and quite accesible, so if you want to start exploring dark ambient, this album can be a good starting point.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 30 Apr 2007, 10:22

News of the week ;)

New Apoptose album out in May, more info on http://www.gothtronic.com/?page=6&id=3896

• Cylob said...
    • User
    • 23 May 2007, 07:45

MAC Album of the Day, 23rd May 2007:

Job Karma - Strike

Chosen by NocnikStargazer.

• Cylob said...
    • User
    • 15 Jun 2007, 12:45
    "The 2007 Virtual Stock Take"

As a bit of pure fun, let's run through artists A-Z's at all desks.

I'll log starts and finishes here.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 15 Jun 2007, 16:23
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 15 Jun 2007, 23:00

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 15 Jun 2007, 23:02
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 16 Jun 2007, 20:27
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 13 Sep 2007, 08:15

Pick of the week:

• Cylob said...
    • User
    • 20 Dec 2007, 12:39
    /edit

Wrong Desk :)

• Cylob said...
    • User
    • 17 May 2008, 13:55

Today's Shopfront Album...

Fuck Buttons - Street Horrrsing (2008)

Chosen by Ferris_Bueller.

Place albums.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.