The 1960's Hotdesk:

• Cylob said...
    • User
    • 5 Oct 2006, 09:50

The 1960's Hotdesk:

Welcome to the 1960's Hotdesk:

Go ahead and leave your queries or recommendations.

Other Places:

1960's Panel

Secret Snacker & Accomplished Pen Thief At:
    Edited by Cylob on 24 Dec 2007, 04:00
  • This one's easy, just look up Jimi Hendrix. He only released 3 albums, I got them in the order they were released and suggest everyone listen to them in that order (for the record, it went Are You Experienced?, Axis: Bold As Love and finally (and my personal favourite) Electric Ladyland

This space for sale
  • Needless to say, Bob Dylan owns the 60s.

• biccies said...
    • User
    • 8 Oct 2006, 14:54
    thats a big call.

what about cream, jefferson airplane, Donovan, cat stevens, The Doors, Strawberry Alarmclock, the who, the small faces, The Easybeats, CCR, Simon and Garfunkel, The Electric Prunes, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, The Mamas and the Papas, The Lovin' Spoonful, johnny cash, Joan Baez, Janis Joplin, The Hollies and The Byrds? come on i missed experiancing the 60s by about 30 years and even i realise that bob dylan was a small piece in the puzzel.

alot of artists made an impression durring the 60's.

There may be flies on you and me, but there are no flies on Jesus. Hunter S. Thompson (RIP).
  • Jefferson Airplane! That's what I was going to ask for advice on now - I'm absolutely in love with the songs that Grace Slick sings on, but not very much with the rest. Are/were there any other bands out there with vaguely the same atmosphere (anyone who's heard "White Rabbit" or even just "Somebody To Love" will surely know what I mean) as Grace-sung Jefferson Airplane? I've bought one of her solo singles ("Seasons") and must say I didn't like that at all, though, so it's not just the voice ... does anyone get a vague impression of what I'm looking for, and can they think of anything else that has it? Much thanks in advance.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 8 Oct 2006, 18:13
    mbatterham said:
    This one's easy, just look up Jimi Hendrix. He only released 3 albums

Sorry, but that's kind of blatantly wrong. He only released three studio albums with the Jimi Hendrix Experience; however, several other (mostly live) albums have been released of Hendrix with different bands, most notably Live at the Fillmore East and Live at Berkley.

Live at the Fillmore East is probably the finest distillation of the direction Hendrix was going in following the breakup of the Experience, even better than the recently released unfinished studio stuff from the First Rays of the New Rising Sun recordings.

But Bob Dylan really does own the 60s. He is by far the most influential and important figure of the decade. His music has touched the hearts and minds of vast numbers of musicians in basically every genre since.

LucieAndCo said:
    Jefferson Airplane! That's what I was going to ask for advice on now - I'm absolutely in love with the songs that Grace Slick sings on, but not very much with the rest. Are/were there any other bands out there with vaguely the same atmosphere (anyone who's heard "White Rabbit" or even just "Somebody To Love" will surely know what I mean) as Grace-sung Jefferson Airplane? I've bought one of her solo singles ("Seasons") and must say I didn't like that at all, though, so it's not just the voice ... does anyone get a vague impression of what I'm looking for, and can they think of anything else that has it? Much thanks in advance.

I'd recommend I Got Dem Ole Kozmic Blues, Again, Momma by Janis Joplin. It's a good launching point for Janis - you can decide if she just a unoriginal, derivative, white-girl-wishing-she-was-black hippie or a soulful blues hollerer following in the great tradition of female blues singers.

• jbinder said...
    • User
    • 8 Oct 2006, 18:46
    I'd say Bob Dylan, The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, and The Velvet Underground were the major forces in the 60s.

Biccies: It's easy to underestimate Bob Dylan's influence if you just go by what they play on classic rock stations now, but he really was huge. "Like a Rolling Stone" came out in 1965, years before most of the artists you mentioned. There was nothing like it at the time. It did a lot to convince people that rock could be something more than just dance music.

Official Album Alphabetizer, Music Advice Center
  • All_The_Blues said:
    mbatterham said:

Sorry, but that's kind of blatantly wrong. He only released three studio albums with the Jimi Hendrix Experience; however, several other (mostly live) albums have been released of Hendrix with different bands, most notably Live at the Fillmore East and Live at Berkley.

Yeah, but all of those (except for Band of Gypsys, the only Jimi-authorized live release) were released after he died.

• All_The_Blues said:

I'd recommend I Got Dem Ole Kozmic Blues, Again, Momma by Janis Joplin. It's a good launching point for Janis - you can decide if she just a unoriginal, derivative, white-girl-wishing-she-was-black hippie or a soulful blues hollerer following in the great tradition of female blues singers.

I've tried Janis Joplin once last year and didn't seem to get into her sound, but then again I didn't yet like Jefferson Airplane then, either, so I guess I'll try her again - thanks (for the launching point, too)!

• @ LucieAndCo

Probably you already know them, but I'd suggest Curved Air and their great singer Sonja Kristina. Listen to the album Air Cut.

Well, that's a 70's band, but anyway...

Here's a video I found in Youtube (this song is from an earlyer album):

♪♫
  • Another recommendation, that might also fit LucieAndCo, is Os Mutantes early albums (those with Rita Lee).

♪♫
  • All_The_Blues said:
    mbatterham said:

Live at the Fillmore East is probably the finest distillation of the direction Hendrix was going in following the breakup of the Experience, even better than the recently released unfinished studio stuff from the First Rays of the New Rising Sun recordings.

But Bob Dylan really does own the 60s. He is by far the most influential and important figure of the decade. His music has touched the hearts and minds of vast numbers of musicians in basically every genre since.

Yeah I know he has live albums, but when I say albums I refer to finished studio albums. Plus, everyone who starts on hendrix should probably start on those albums

yes, dylan is awesome. At the moment
    Ballad of a Thin Man is rocking my socks off

This space for sale
  • @leandrofazio

Thank you, I'll check out both - I quite liked the video.

• biccies said...
    • User
    • 9 Oct 2006, 15:15
    jbinder said:
    I'd say Bob Dylan, The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, and The Velvet Underground were the major forces in the 60s.

Biccies: It's easy to underestimate Bob Dylan's influence if you just go by what they play on classic rock stations now, but he really was huge. "Like a Rolling Stone" came out in 1965, years before most of the artists you mentioned. There was nothing like it at the time. It did a lot to convince people that rock could be something more than just dance music.

hmm that funny cause i dont listen to radio...

its just as easy to overstate his influence on the 60's when your a one-eyed dylan fanatic.

There may be flies on you and me, but there are no flies on Jesus. Hunter S. Thompson (RIP).
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 13 Oct 2006, 17:31

60's garage rock

Hello,

What a great idea for a group, man would it be cool if you guys could help me out with some recommendations!

I'm getting into some obscure 60's garage rock like Os Brasas (from Brazil- awesome stuff) and The Tages (Sweden). Anyone have any recommendations for similar bands? Basically I'm looking for obscure, foreign (not from US), kind of Beatles-ey but not overly psychedelic guitar rock. Thanks!

• @ neonist

I'd suggest Almendra, a great Argentinian band.

Also, these (70's, sorry) Brazilian: Ave Sangria and Spectrum's "Geração Bendita". The last one is hard to find in LP, but you may find it in mp3 in soulseek (don't know if there was a CD re-release)..

♪♫
  • I love the 60s. I was born just after it ended, and I've always been kinda sad I missed it.

With regards to all the bands/artistes discussed, from Hendrix to Dylan to Jefferson, I'll say that its pretty hard to split which had a more definitive influence, or was bigger. Talk to blues/rock fans and you'll find pretty hardcore devotees of The Rolling Stones, The Doors and Led Zeppelin who would claim those bands had a seminal impact on music today.

I absolutely love Dylan, and his 60s output in particular. I'll rank him in the top 2 or 3 in terms of influence. He did do some pretty wild stuff well ahead of its time, and many that would come along would simply be trying to catch up to him. Go listen to The Velvet Underground's early demos before Moe and Sterling came into the picture and you can definitely hear Dylan's influence. Which brings me to my point....the 60s were really about an explosion of culture - and music in general. It was the point where the whole world became flushed with technicolour and all the artistes around were rushing to catch the vibe, So you've got everyone feeding off each other's creative juices. Hendrix took Dylan's Alll Along the Watchtower and transformed it into hailstorm which Dylan himself would try to mimic in his live shows subsequently. The Byrds were an amalgamation of Dylan, The Beatles and too much LSD.

If I had to pick 3 that I felt were most instrumental in shaping the sound of music that followed, i'll go for Dylan, The Velvet Underground and The Beatles. Just outside the Top 3 would be The Beach Boys, Jimi Hendrix, The Doors and The Rolling Stones. Everything else i feel would contain a hint of all of these artistes in varying degrees (and I'm not bringing in the jazz influences of Coltrane and Davis here by the way, and only looking at the pop/rock elements).

What a wonderful era....

Mindless Robotic Staff, , "if we don't have it, you don't need it!"
  • wait, in terms of 60's music there's such as a thing as too much LSD?

This space for sale
  • What about mod stuff?
    Besides The Who, The Kinks and The Small Faces, I'd recommend The Creation and The Action, they're awesome.
    When I picture how ppl was in the 60's I always see mods dancing and driving scooters.

• biccies said...
    • User
    • 14 Oct 2006, 06:00
    neonist said:
    What a great idea for a group, man would it be cool if you guys could help me out with some recommendations!

the easybeats from australia

mbatterham said:
    wait, in terms of 60's music there's such as a thing as too much LSD?

if you'd taken lsd you'd know the awnser to that question already.

• For those looking into the more obscure (and forgotten) '60s bands, check out Nuggets (link 1 2 3)

It's a box set, originally assembled by Lenny kaye (a member of the Patti Smith Group), with songs that probably are even hard to find on vinyl. Basically a great collection of rare one-hit wonders. The links above are of the American garage boxset, but there's also a British Empire one and '80s revival one.

I only have the American garage one, and all i can say is there were so many Bob Dylan, Van Morrison, Mick Jagger, and John Lennon wannabes. Having said that, it is probably the best '60s compilation that ever existed.

• Ah yes, the 1960s is one of the decades I have absolutely no music from. I'd guess the legends (The Who, Dylan, Hendrix, The Kinks etc.) are the best to start with?

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 14 Oct 2006, 16:22
    LilTheater said:
    Ah yes, the 1960s is one of the decades I have absolutely no music from. I'd guess the legends (The Who, Dylan, Hendrix, The Kinks etc.) are the best to start with?

I'd say the five most important albums of the '60s (which is to say, those that give the best distillation of what it was all about, at least from my perspective) are:

(1) Bringing It All Back Home
    (2) Tommy
    (3) Face to Face
    (4) Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!
    (5) The White Album

So those may be a good place to start.

• I'd recommend Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy, which is the best compilation of the band during the early sixties.
    U can find there some of the greatest hits released as singles which u can't find in any album.
    Steve Hoffman mastered it, that means when playing the CD u will think you're listening to the original vinyl, it sounds totally analog.
    In other words, u will listen to The Who as they sounded really. I hate all that re-mastered stuff of old bands of the sixties, nothing to do with the original sound they used to have.

A gem of the early sixties:

• neonist said:
    Hello,

I'm getting into some obscure 60's garage rock like Os Brasas (from Brazil- awesome stuff) and The Tages (Sweden). Anyone have any recommendations for similar bands? Basically I'm looking for obscure, foreign (not from US), kind of Beatles-ey but not overly psychedelic guitar rock. Thanks!

Buy Nuggets if you haven't already. It covers American bands between 1965-1968, just a couple of them made albums though.

It's always been the definition of the genre in the majority's eyes and plays its role very well. I doubt you'll have too much trouble finding it as it's widely available.

Music Advice Center

"remember that? there is a reason that animals are killed. It's called fucking FOOD. And raping?! what the fuck does that mean? if your talking about the milking of cows' utters, then your fucking wrong. if their not milked, they explode, and you get a cow who dies froman infection because you tried to stop producing dairy. you are a fucking retard."
Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.