9 Apr 2007, 16:22
I've long wanted to develop a series of pure track-tag
(PTT) stations, based on streamable tracks from my weekly track charts. The those who know me, it'll come as no surprise that this'd involve the popularization of music I consider underrated and that I'd want to do it in a way to involve as many other on Last.FM as possible - Freely submitting tracks they
think underrated. Well, finally it's here!
The series is built around the word attention
, in that, this is music we consider worthy of more attention
. Here's how to join in:
- Firstly, if you don't have a tabbed Web browser, get one! Browser tabs are a great innovation you'll love and a choice in now available for most operating systems (I personally recommend, the open source, Firefox). This will make the creation of your station very much more quick & easy!
- Open a browser window with your full weekly track chart and, if required, navigate to the week you'd like to make a station for.
- Open a new tab, for each of our top streamable tracks (e.g. all the ones that you've played more than once).
- As you go along, close the tag for tracks with more than 5,000 listeners and for those you've used an attention tag on within the same month, as you've selected.
- At this point you'll have a few tracks or dozens, depending on how hard you were listening (in the selected week), how much streamable music you listen to and frequency with which you tend to repeat tracks. Is the number of tracks you have less than forty?
- Yes: Find the largest number of listeners for any of these tracks and remember that number as the weekly theme name.
- No: Well it's time to narrow the field a little. The aim's to make a station of up to two hours play (allowing for a little skipping and the ten-ish tracks Last.FM are required to hold back, under the terms of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act). So, assuming a good spread of artists, for an average track length of 4.5 min's and a skip rate of 10% - 40 tracks's about ideal.
Take a look at your tracks, is there theme/genre/feature you'd like concentrate on, which'd arrive at a selection of 40 or just below?
- Yes: Close the tabs for tracks that do not fit with your theme, until there's 40, or less, and make-up a short name for your theme, or repeat one already existence, and remember that as the weekly theme name,
- No: In that case, go for the obscure!
- Close the tab for the track with most listeners, until you've only 40 tracks left.
- Remember the number of listeners for the most popular remaining track as the weekly theme name,
- Now for the tagging! Prefix your weekly theme name with "attention " and suffix with the end date of the week you selected, in D Mon YY format (e.g. 1 Apr 07). If your theme name'd been 90s (for tracks released last decade), this'd give attention 90s 1 Apr 07 as your basic tag ... but there's more.
To multiply the fun, by encouraging the accumulation of your week's picks, with past/future weeks and the attention tagging of others, tag all the derivative of your basic tag, these are:
- By date precision: monthly, annual and no date, e.g. attention 90s Apr 07, attention 90s 07 & attention 90s.
- Date precision, without your weekly theme name, e.g. attention Apr 07, attention 07 & attention.
- By obscurity - Remember all those tracks have less than 5000 listeners! That gives e.g. attention 5K 1 Apr 07, attention 5K Apr 07, attention 5K 07 & attention 5K.
- Did you go for obscurity in your selection?
- Yes: Lets have the following sections for obscurity, below 5K: 2K, 1K, 500, 200 & 100. Say your track with the most listeners had 265 - Replace your weekly theme name in your basic tag and all the tags that came from , above, with each of the section values (excluding 5K, done above), which are larger than your listener count, e.g. giving: attention 500 1 Apr 07, attention 500 Apr 07, attention 500 07, attention 500, attention 1K 1 Apr 07, attention 1K Apr 07, attention 1K 07, attention 1K, attention 2K 1 Apr 07, attention 2K Apr 07, attention 2K 07 and attention 2K.
- No: Consider other derivations of your theme - Say, if your weekly theme name was Sheffield, you could do similar, to the above, with Yorkshire, England, UK, EU and Europe.
- Now, what a lot of tags you've got. Put them together into a single
text (with commas), e.g. "attention 90s 1 Apr 07, attention 90s Apr 07, attention 90s 07, attention 90s, attention Apr 07, attention 07, attention, attention 5K 1 Apr 07, attention 5K Apr 07, attention 5K 07, attention 5K".
- Copy/paste this into the tagging for all of your tracks - radios does!
- Write a journal about the radio of your basic tag, with some words about some special tracks in there, would be nice, and including a link to the attention group - Publicity done!
- Post about your marvelous efforts in the attention forum - Comradery done!
And yes, you've guessed it, I've done one. In fact I've done two, but I'd like some time to put nice words into this weeks one.
From the week ending 1 Apr 07
, here're my 40 streamable tracks with 2212 or less listeners - Attention 2212 1 Apr 07
, please let me know what you think of it:Sometimes.Harlem River DriveSilver TurkeyMwela, MweYa RayiDobro #1On va sauterRegra TrêsCoro MiyarBerekekéMister MagicTaianeAmor (Evolution)VatapàSamba Rubro-NegroCamisa 10 De GaveaMenina FlorHydro-ElectricPassionOne Note Samba (Part 2)Morning Musume. - ???! We're ALIVE (Instrumental) Morning Musume.Manchild - The Old School MixCom qualquer dois mil réisBlues O'MightyPowaqqatsiYou Used ToSeconds AwayAmor101 InfoburnerLook AroundFeira De MangaioHigh-On-TechMy Red Hot Car (Girl)InsensatezThe EndSamba Do Gringo Paulista (Zero Db Mix)SAMBA DO AVIAOOye Como VaMuezzinArsonist 2000 (Aphro Dub Mix)Other tags applied: attention
, attention 07
, attention 1 apr 07
, attention 2212
, attention 2212 07
, attention 2212 apr 07
, attention 5k
, attention 5k 07
, attention 5k 1 apr 07
, attention 5k apr 07
& attention apr 07