Connection suggestions/corrections/discussions

• Connection suggestions/corrections/discussions

If you want to add any connections (artists/labels/events) please post them here. Also if something in connections is incorrect or you have any other remarks regarding connections, this is the place!

If you want to add a journal and want it approved a.s.a.p. Feel free to send me a pm, cos Last.fm does not notify owners/moderators of pending journal entries.

Edited by zephirnl on 12 Apr 2009, 09:48
    • meodai said...
    • User
    • 30 Jan 2008, 14:58
    could you add Damn!? And maybe The Peddlers?

• I didn't know the peddlers were still playing, at least the last fm info on them is just about the old band... Do you have a link for the 'new' peddlers?

I checked out damn, but must say I don't really like it yet, but If you think it should be added anyway, I won't let my personal tastes interfere. ;-) I'll add Damn...

• meodai said...
    • User
    • 31 Jan 2008, 10:27
    No there is no new peddlers :) Your right its to old.
    Thx for Damn! i realy like them!

• Yo!

Thanks for the heads up Zephirni. Sure looks like the kind of place I might like to hang out...

Of course I have a few suggestions for you too.

Check out Stereo De Luxe and Freshly Squeezed Music for starters...

Back with more when I get a bit more time.

May the funk be with you!

No gunk, no junk...
  • suggestions

Hey!! The list of music connections is already very long, a nice source for some new music! I have some other ones which maybe can be added. Not on purpose, but most of these guys are just DJ's or producers, and all are famous by soundtracks of movies!! Wooha!

David Holmes (Soundtrack ocean's eleven)
    Lyle Workman (Soundtrack Superbad)
    Yoko Kanno (Yoko Kanno, soundtrack cowboy bebop)
    The Solution No soundtrack, still very very funky and made right (zephir, it's still on the luisterpaal @ 3voor12 if you wanna listen to it)

• jeej said...
    • User
    • 7 Feb 2008, 20:20
    Check out my music blog: >>jus' like music
    • jeej said...
    • User
    • 7 Feb 2008, 20:22
  • Re: suggestions

LawnchairGenera said:
    Hey!! The list of music connections is already very long, a nice source for some new music! I have some other ones which maybe can be added. Not on purpose, but most of these guys are just DJ's or producers, and all are famous by soundtracks of movies!! Wooha!

David Holmes (Soundtrack ocean's eleven)
    Lyle Workman (Soundtrack Superbad)
    Yoko Kanno (Yoko Kanno, soundtrack cowboy bebop)
    The Solution No soundtrack, still very very funky and made right

I've decided to add the solution, even though it's not really funk. But it deserves some attention nonetheless. It reminds me of the blues brothers but more subtle.

The others I'm quite hesitant to add. Since these artists make all kinds of music, including some funky tunes, I'm not going to argue that. The thing is, they have also made a lot of stuff that is totally different. And since it is only artists I can add, I'm not sure what to do. I'm thinking of putting up polls for artists that I'm unsure about.
    This also goes for some f the artists already added. That's why I put 'corrections' in the name of his thread alongside 'suggestions'. Maybe I should have put 'discussions' there too. As with all genres, it's not a clear-cut area of music.

Since atm I don't have time to arrange for a real poll, but did have the time to type this semi-rant here, I'm really curious what other members' opinions are on this topic. Also because I think there is a limit to group connections.

Please give me your thoughts!

Edited by zephirnl on 9 Feb 2008, 09:46
    • meodai said...
    • User
    • 8 Feb 2008, 16:15
    Talking of Anime Sound tracks! The Soundtrack of Lupin III Is very funky to! I love those 70s anime ost's. Cheg it out:

More hot stuff for you, listen to the startbreaks! Amazing:

• jeej said...
    • User
    • 10 Feb 2008, 02:09
    • jeej said...
    • User
    • 10 Feb 2008, 09:58
    • jeej said...
    • User
    • 10 Feb 2008, 10:22
    • jeej said...
    • User
    • 10 Feb 2008, 10:23
    LOL, funny that only half of them exist on here. Either I got some spellings wrong or they just aren't well known enough.

Ah well. Anyway, out of everything I have suggested, just make your own mind up and add whatever you want.

• I just added some stuff I thought genuine or I forgot in the first few runs.

The rest I recommended to myself so I'm reminded to check em out. Some of them have no last fm content, others have only content from different artists with the same name... Did you also list some stuff here that's only released on 7"?

But your contribution is highly appreciated!

Edited by zephirnl on 14 Feb 2008, 07:35
    • jeej said...
    • User
    • 14 Feb 2008, 06:49
    I most definitely did.

More an more of the stuff I buy is now available digitally - but a lot of it just vinyl only. I have hundreds and hundreds of records, especially 7" vinyl.

• jeej said...
    • User
    • 25 Feb 2008, 10:03
  • Hi everybody,

bit of a late reaction, but still. About the artists I recommended (David Holmes, Lyle Workman, 菅野よう子 (Yoko Kanno), The Solution)

I think the solution isn't supposed to be here, you're right zephir, it's not really funk.

About the other ones, I don't know other work than the soundtracks i mentioned. But, even if they've made other music than funky stuff, I think a link is good if they have made funk music. Artists usually can't be put in one box (in een hokje stoppen :)) so they have to be given multiples descriptions. Actually it's the same idea as the tag clouds.

Off course, the funk songs have to be a substantial part of an artist's repertoire to be called funk. Just one funky song on an album does not make the artist considered as funk.

Good luck!!

• @lawnchairgenera:
    You're absolutely right, thanks for reminding me. Yoko Kanno though ahs also made alot of non-funky music (I recommended it to myself and heard it a few times). David Holmes (really cinematic sound anyways) and Lyle Workman especially wrote that funky superbad album (with a little help from some superstars, like Bootsy Collins).

Good thing you reminded me!

• micro3 said...
    • User
    • 29 Sep 2008, 08:01
    It would help to put a alphabetical list in the tread so people can check easier whether a artist is already connected.

Here are some that I didn't see:

Record Labels:

Stones Throw(innovative hip-hop that borders funk and jazz for instance on the collection Science Class.)
    G.A.M.M (Swedish record label publishes Beatconductor and Red Astair amongst others)

Artists:

The Bongolian (inspired by Bongo Rock)
    Red Astaire (similar to Beatconductor)
    Banda União Black (old Brazilian funk group but recorded a new album recently)
    Keziah Jones (makes a mix between funk and blues)
    Palov & Mishkin (greek editers)
    sugarloaf gangsters
    Wicked Lester
    Pure P
    7 Samurai
    True Beats
    James Pants

• First off: thanks for your suggestions!

micro3 said:
    It would help to put a alphabetical list in the tread so people can check easier whether a artist is already connected.

Feel free to do that yourself. I know there are a lot of connected artists already, but the current ways for managing connections are subpar to say the least. For now I will just add the artists here that I agree or moderately agree on. If I totally disagree I will explain :)

Here are some that I didn't see:

Record Labels:

Stones Throw(innovative hip-hop that borders funk and jazz for instance on the collection Science Class.)
    G.A.M.M (Swedish record label publishes Beatconductor and Red Astair amongst others)

although I like both labels, stones throw's main focus is hardly funk. G.A.M.M. are not on last.fm as far as i can tell so I am actually not able to link them.

Artists:

The Bongolian (inspired by Bongo Rock)
    Red Astaire (similar to Beatconductor)
    Banda União Black (old Brazilian funk group but recorded a new album recently)
    Keziah Jones (makes a mix between funk and blues)
    Palov & Mishkin (greek editers)
    sugarloaf gangsters
    Wicked Lester
    Pure P
    7 Samurai
    True Beats
    James Pants

All not discussed are added.
    Wicked Lester: Bio states it's a band from the seventies. They just appear to have a release in 2001 but are by no means currently active or have recently been.
    Pure P: no info, not sure if this is really a modern funk artist? (link to track pls).
    7 Samurai: to me are too much downtempo, though this may be personal. I may be easily persuaded to add this after all.
    True Beats: see Pure P
    James Pants: frankly, I don't like the music. I can tolerate a moderate singer if the music is funky/tight/groovey/etc, but this singing is horrible. If a lot of people want James Pants, then I'm still inclined to be a total dictator and not add it. Then again, I have only listened to the tracks streamable on last.fm, so please provide good examples and I might be persuaded. These would however have to be extremely good.

Please bear in mind that I wrote this response with the intention to have a tongue-in-cheeck style, frantically typing while tired from a long day at work.

• micro3 said...
    • User
    • 1 Oct 2008, 21:18
    zephirnlmicro3 said:

Feel free to do that yourself. I know there are a lot of connected artists already, but the current ways for managing connections are subpar to say the least. For now I will just add the artists here that I agree or moderately agree on. If I totally disagree I will explain :)

If i have time ill make a list.

The band from the 70s is a different Wicked Lester here is the one i refer to:

http://www.myspace.com/lesterwicked

Pure P just released his debut full album have not heard it yet but will probably appear in his profile soon his myspace profile doesn't offer a lot to listen to but has a link to a dj mix by him:

http://www.myspace.com/purepbeats

• ok I checked out the myspace, but still don't think wicked lester fits the group entirely. Same goed for Pure P, although I dig some of the Up Hygh stuff he's done.

Maybe in a while when more funky releases by these artists surface?

btw, I made a alphabetic list before, but since neglected to update it. It is here: http://brain-bubbles.com/funk/index.php?title=List_of_Modern_Funk_bands

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.