Now that we have charts....

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 3 Mar 2006, 03:07

Now that we have charts....

This is an offcial sign that we should actually talk about something here.

Ok, my name is Dom, and I love the Minutemen, and especially anything Mike Watt is involved in. He's pretty much the reason I picked up bass and care about music.

Your turn.

• Woo charts.

I'm Nick and I fell in love with the Minuteflag release, which lead to me checking out more Minutemen and eventually on to a bunch of Watt's other stuff. I ended up getting complete discogs of Minutemen and fIREHOSE via soulseek.

• Picked up Ball-Hog Or Tugboat? from a used CD table at a flea market just because it looked funny. It seized my interest immediately, and I've had a taste for all things Watt ever since.

Nothing is ever something.
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 6 Mar 2006, 07:19

Edited by a deleted user on 4 Jun 2006, 06:54
  • jam econo

i actually only recently got into the Minutemen after seeing the We Jam Econo documentary last year, which is pretty great i highly recommend it. i'd heard fIREHOSE and a couple solo Watt things before that. i still have yet to hear Minuteflag, where did you find this?

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 12 Apr 2006, 03:04
    I bought it off of ebay, but you can find the mp3's off of any filesharing program.

• skubwa said...
    • User
    • 5 May 2006, 04:54

The minutemen

are Bob Dylan to me.

Well, ok, not very original, but, well, it IS true.

• rubyyot said...
    • User
    • 30 Jun 2006, 03:49
    I first heard of Mike Watt when I was in college and fIREHOSE came to San luis Obispo. A couple of my roomates went because they had heard of a bassist named Mike Watt who was so hardcore he was known to break bass strings at concerts. I remember taking interest because Les Claypool and Flea were two of my favorite musicians at the time. I considered them to be god like on the bass and I wondered if there was someone out there who could rival them. This was my freshman year and I was being exposed to all kinds of new (to me) music; grunge had just begun to spread and before long I had forgotten about it.

A while later my friend made me a mix tape with tons of great bands on it. I remember him telling me that if I liked any of the bands go buy the albums and we would be doing the them a favor by spreading the word. I listened to the tape a lot and finally went out an got a number of the albums. The tape included:

Dino Jr.
    fIREHOSE
    Minutemen
    Uncle Tupelo

I lost the tape, but I still listen to the bands... and yes Mike Watt is now up there with Flea and Les Claypool in my musician pantheon.

• moik said...
    • Subscriber
    • 30 Jun 2006, 04:18
    the minutemen are very important to me. actually i used to run a minutemen (and sonic youth page) until my isp simply lost it.

okay - more:

http://www.last.fm/user/moik/journal/2006/06/27/165936/

moik

between here and there
    is better than either
    here or there
    • moik said...
    • Subscriber
    • 30 Jun 2006, 04:22
    between here and there
    is better than either
    here or there
  • Hello, I'm Ryan. I moderate the Watt list.

• Watt rules. the guy is totally cool and amazing on the bass. My boss turned me onto the minutemen and firehose a few years ago and i was instantly hooked. that we jam econo dvd is excellent i would reccommend it to anyone that has an interest in watt or the minutemen or even the early 80's DIY scene.

i stood in a bar (a bar 4blocks from my house) about 10 feet or less from DOS which is watt and kira (from black flag). two bass players totally kicking ass. its a weird set up for a band but it really worked. I am friends with the bartender there and he is trying to get the secondmen to come play but watt is pretty busy.

glad to be a part of the watt club here. not sure how many of you are sublime fans but i was a huge sublime fan before i found the minutemen and it is soo crazy to see how influenced sublime was by the minutemen. they had lots of influences but its like they were a minutemen tribute band... on too many drugs.

as watt would say... "STAR YOUR OWN BAND!!!"

• I wish Mike Watt was my dad.

About two years ago my brother was reading this book about the American underground scene in the '80s (Our Band Could Be Your Life) and told me to read it. I ignored him for a while (because I hate reading) but finally got around to it. After finishing that book, I was the most pumped about music that I had ever been. I learned about all these great bands like Minutemen, Minor Threat, Hüsker Dü, Black Flag, all of whom I've never heard before. The Minutemen story really stood out to me and gave me a lot of motivation to start my own band. Unfortunately, the town in which I live is nearly devoid of other musicians, so I am pretty much disabled for the time being. Mike Watt is not the best bass player of all time, but he's by far the coolest. We Jam Econo was my first exposure to his character and I was immediately impressed. No one is quite like Mike Watt, and I'm just glad to see that I'm not the only one who appreciates him.

• rubyyot said:
    A couple of my roomates went because they had heard of a bassist named Mike Watt who was so hardcore he was known to break bass strings at concerts.

It's true. The first time I saw fIREHOSE Watt broke three strings. :D

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 2 Mar 2007, 00:28
    Post-Mersh volume 1 changed my life in a very positive way.

• just after d.boon died I saw a tv report about minutemen on french TV. then I bought the double nickel on the dime to an italian fellow who was dealing sst catalogue in the street... Its probably the most important vinyl i bought in my life.

I recently saw watt with the stooges, it was fuckin great.
    he is a stupendous man and I love his spiels.

notice his watt from pedro show radio on:

http://twfps.com

• Someone made me a mix cd (i'm too young for mix tapes) with History Lesson pt II on it, and I've been in love ever since...

• davess said...
    • User
    • 20 Oct 2007, 20:18

punk is whatever we made it to be

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 8 Apr 2008, 01:01
    I grew up listening to Mike Watt's solo albums (didn't know who it was at the time) and then learned about the Minutemen, who became one of my favorite bands ever since. DNOTD is definitely my favorite, but their other stuff is pretty good too.

• hey, I've just gpt into firehose via this site, and i really want to gert one of their albums. can some one recomend me one? i love anything with funky bass, sonic youth, PJ harey and X

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.