Are you planning on leaving Australia?

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 10 Dec 2006, 10:23

Are you planning on leaving Australia?

Okay, so during the year I learned that arouns 5% of the Aussie population lives and works outside of Aussie. Both of my older brothers are a part of that statistic [They live in England and Sweden].

Now, to the question: Are you planning on leaving Australia to live/work at any point? Temporarily or Permanantly? Where would you go?

I'm planning on leaving permanantly...Eventually.
    I'm thinking either Iceland, Canada or the UK.

:[Bifnepasu]:

• I'd like to leave eventually. Depends on where life takes me..................... /gay

But seriously, I don't think I could stay in Melbourne forever. As much as I love the place, I want to explore and see the world and all that. As for destination, probably the US, UK, most of Western Europe and the Nordic countries. Oh, and Japan.

• Richaod said...
    • User
    • 10 Dec 2006, 11:20
    five_four said:
    I'd like to leave eventually. Depends on where life takes me..................... /gay

But seriously, I don't think I could stay in Melbourne forever. As much as I love the place, I want to explore and see the world and all that. As for destination, probably the US, UK, most of Western Europe and the Nordic countries. Oh, and Japan.

I have to agree... though I'd probably want to permanently live in Melbourne. I find the US fascinating, but it seems too stupid a country to live in. :P

• The entertainment would be endless :D

• Richaod said...
    • User
    • 10 Dec 2006, 11:45
    five_four said:
    The entertainment would be endless :D

I suppose. After watching Borat...

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 10 Dec 2006, 11:55
    Haha. Borat was awesome. As much as I hate racism and intolerance. I couldn't resist laughter. I loved it.

Also - Yeah I'd probably come crawling back.

• The naked fighting scene. Genius

I've thought about the prospect of leaving permanently a lot this year. Maybe to Spain, Italy or France in a few years. I wouldn't mind living here forever though.

• I'm going to live for an extended period of time in Canada (and hopefully Eastern Europe)... it's just a matter of when. But I can't see myself wanting to leave Melbourne for at least a few years, and I'll be back to retire.

Melbourne pwns.

• What are you going to Canadia for?

• I've always wanted to live there. It's similar enough to Australia that someone like me who's never traveled won't be too weirded out, the lifestyle is awesome... it just seems like a cool place to go.

I'm hoping to go in 2010 for the Winter Olympics (probably the last Olympics to feature NHL players in the ice hockey), and I'd love to just live there indefinitely with no plan for where to go next.

But there's less than three years left, so I don't know if I'm going to be able to save up the cash. :(

• Is this with an exchange program or something?

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 8 Feb 2007, 08:26
    plattopus said:
    Melbourne pwns.

QTF.

• It does. I miss Melbourne, the Yarra, inflation and water restrictions.

*tear*

• five_four said:
    Is this with an exchange program or something?

No no, I've just decided I WILL live there at some stage in my life.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 9 Feb 2007, 01:49
    plattopus said:
    five_four said:
    Is this with an exchange program or something?

No no, I've just decided I WILL live there at some stage in my life.

Awesome. Canada is sex.

• not moving away from australia but vic yes
    i dont like my school all the people there and if i just move schools they will find me..so best to move to queensland :}

• I don't see the need to move from Melbourne, as everything is right here. I'd go overseas just to holiday. A working holiday sounds tempting though.

• JaMiMy said...
    • User
    • 21 Jul 2007, 20:09
    i been travelling through europe for the last 6 months (Italy, France, Amsterdam, Berlin, London, Spain, Portugal...) Everything is really interesting... but melbourne is still my home!
    there is no other place like the vibe that melbourne offers... lisboa came close, it was kinda like melbourne but with a lot of beautiful history, i'd like to live there someday.

but home is where the heart is and i think melbourne will always have my heart.

i do plan on travelling a lot in future and possibly live in several cities for a period of time, tokyo, NY etc. but to settle back down melb will always be the place for me!

• jpacker said...
    • User
    • 2 Aug 2007, 22:53
    I moved away from Melbourne in 2002. It took me a good year before I accepted San Antonio (Texas) as my new home... I haven't been back since 2003 and to be honest I'm a little nervous about how Melbourne and I have grown since we parted ways. I've got a holiday back to Melb coming up this xmas though so we'll see. Honestly I can't picture myself moving back to Australia for a long time. I came to the states for uni, and I think I'm hooked on how much opportunity there is over here. I'm excited to move out of Texas and head to the west coast, maybe the bay area or Seattle... but as much as I love Melbourne, I've been there, done that, and I think for now I'll be happier and more successful in the states. At least for a little while. Gotta stay on the move :)

• lived in sweden in 2006 for six months, loved it

want to go back to live in scandinavia or canada

melbourne, whilst one of the greatest cities in the world, it's not enough to keep one occupied for a lifetime, there's alot of bullshit that goes on in melbourne aswell.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 18 Oct 2007, 03:52
    I moved over to Melbourne in 2001 from London and got to say it is a pretty great place and def my fave city in Aus.

I do however miss London it just has so much going on all the time and just has a really great feel to the place. Sometimes Melbourne can be a little too quiet comparing the two.

For the time being Im happy to stay in Melbourne but will most likely move back to London one day. I would also like to do a bit more travelling. I have always had an interest in Scandinavian countries for some reason and Sweden, Denmark would be great to visit at least and something about Japan seems pretty cool too would love to visit.

• dundez said...
    • Alumni
    • 29 Nov 2007, 19:00
    i moved from Melbourne to London and love it! London is so much more fun, more to do etc. I will return in due time but not for a while. thinking of canada for a year too.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 20 Apr 2009, 08:36
    Richaod said:
    though I'd probably want to permanently live in Melbourne. I find the US fascinating, but it seems too stupid a country to live in. :P

same same I will def be travelling all corners of the world at some stage and would like to see how america turns out for me, particularly new york. if I end up loving it then fuk australia I'm outta here lol. but on the downside, america does seem like too stupid of a country to live in. plus I think I'll miss everything here eventually, like the stupid aussie sense of humour and all the easy going ppl and stuff.

• I wanna visit loads of places but at the moment I can't imagine anywhere else as home. Melbourne, ftw. It's way too brilliant here to consider leaving forever, but I would like to see the rest of the world too.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 4 May 2009, 07:33
    I agree wholeheartedly, can't imagine anyplace else as home.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.