If you're interested in MG

• JasonB said...
    • User
    • 14 Aug 2004, 04:29

If you're interested in MG

You should check out some of his ooold demo stuff. It's not exactly fantastic musically (most are just him and a guitar), but at the same time, most of it is interesting, and some really good (imo). There're about 25 total. (There's a MGB demo cd also, but it's pretty bad.)

I'd suggest trying to find one of Push, A Better Pain, Requiem for Rosemary, Euphony or South of Summer first.

how come they feel so terrible
    if terrible is in fashion
  • His older pre-band stuff is definitely interesting. I'm just amazed by the quality of his lyrics, even in such an early stage. It's too bad the piano tends to sound the same on a lot of songs.

I love As Long As You're Mine a whole lot, even though it's just a little love song and nothing special.

Edited by lunapuella on 17 Oct 2004, 11:40
    • callit said...
    • User
    • 12 Mar 2005, 21:46
    Casual Walks, Heather's Like Sunday, Waiting for the Great Destruction, As Long As You're Mine and A Better Pain are some of my favorite early MG songs.

And I actually think some of his early works are just as good as some of his more recent works. It simply amazes me to be able to listen to how his musical style has progressed and changed. While his early works might be a little less instrumental than later stuff, they definitely make up for it in lyrical content IMO.

• TMFHW said...
    • User
    • 30 Apr 2005, 02:17
    better pain is probably my favorite, guitar is crazy in that song..

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 14 Aug 2005, 03:43
    I counted about 35 songs actually give or take a couple. A few of my favourites are Umbrellaless, Last of the Ghetto Astronauts, The Ocean and Push.

• I really love Entresol, Bluebird, Whispering in the Dark and Casual Walks.

Edited by magnopere on 28 Aug 2005, 03:23
  • Has onyone heard that Sympathy for the devil cover...

Now when was that recorded? Was it MGB or just Matt?

=w=
  • it's a matter of getting my hands on that stuff

• 15 hours on a September Thursday is amazing, with Bluebird and The Ocean being two of my favourite early day tunes.

I've never heard the Sympathy for the Devil cover. Did anybody hear his one line in his collab cover of "1999"?

6. Capture Accidents.
    Edited by trufflepigs on 9 Feb 2006, 04:36
    • moukers said...
    • User
    • 3 Feb 2006, 08:03
    I love all of the demos.

The "Sympathy For The Devil" cover is by Dave Matthews Band, and is a mistagged track. Don't waste time looking for it, it's terrible.

• i love those ones. <3

• I found a link to a Geocities website a while ago. The host said s/he'd send you a copy of History Teacher--the name given to a two-disk compilation of works pre-Last of the Ghetto Astronauts, including some Rodchester Kings--if you donate to any charity on a given list. I think the minimum amount of your donation was $20 or something, but I thought it well worth it for a fairly rare collection of songs by my favourite artist.

Anyway, I'm sorry I don't know the site address anymore, but if you're clever and patient enough, you may be able to find it yourself.

Twenty years asleep before we sleep...
    Forever.
  • dang! :(

• "Parable" in my opinion.

• parable is amazing

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 17 May 2007, 08:04
    Fatalistic said:
    I found a link to a Geocities website a while ago. The host said s/he'd send you a copy of History Teacher--the name given to a two-disk compilation of works pre-Last of the Ghetto Astronauts, including some Rodchester Kings--if you donate to any charity on a given list. I think the minimum amount of your donation was $20 or something, but I thought it well worth it for a fairly rare collection of songs by my favourite artist.

Anyway, I'm sorry I don't know the site address anymore, but if you're clever and patient enough, you may be able to find it yourself.

I think this is the link: http://24bitstereo.googlepages.com/historyteacher.htm

• cooool

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.