Favorite Knopfler/Dire Straits Song???/

• Favorite Knopfler/Dire Straits Song???/

Mine is obvious. Just look at my profile. iTunes has my current playcount over 700. And I dumped my music library in May. Before that, it was close to 500 plays!

There isn't a day goes by that I don't listen on iTunes and iPod at least 3 times!

GAF
    • Trilogy said...
    • User
    • 22 Oct 2004, 14:39
    On Dire Straits era it is Romeo and Juliet. On solo career it's Going Home: Theme from Local Hero. After that goes Sailing To Philadelphia and Boom, Like that. I really don't have the "one and only" good song. So nothing obvious in here :)

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 15 Mar 2005, 21:53
    My absolute Dire Straits Favourit is "Sultans of Swings" :)

• yogo said...
    • User
    • 23 Mar 2005, 20:21
    Hi!

I love the song Telegraph Road

• Re:

Quoth yogo:
    Hi!

I love the song Telegraph Road

In a way, that song reminds me of my hometown which is Pittsburgh.

GAF
    • sturme said...
    • User
    • 27 Mar 2005, 10:29
    Hi!

On Dire Straits Career: Telegraph Road, On Every Street, Private Investigations, Brothers in Arms, and, of course, Money for Nothing... and many more should be mentioned, though :)

Solo: Speedway at Nazareth, Sailing to Philadelphia,...

Dire Straits Mark Knopfler | Austria Lower Austria
    "Mark Knopfler has an extraordinary ability to make a Schecter Custom Stratocaster hoot and sing like angels on a Saturday night, exhausted from being good all week and needing a stiff beer." Douglas Adams.
  • It's an uneasy question for a dedicated fan like me... but today I decided that it must be Single Handed Sailor. I will not describe my feelings towards that song, it would be waste of server space. Just listen and then clean your personal Knopfler altar :)

• Dadric said...
    • User
    • 16 Sep 2005, 23:40
    I gotta say I'm a pretty big fan of "My Parties" just because it makes me smile, but for pure musical enjoyment I'd have to go with "Your Latest Trick".

• The best Song is in my opinion Brothers in Arms from the live album (On The Night)
    Sometimes i could cry out loud just because it is so beautiful and sad !

Another very good song is On Every Street or Telegraph Road

Of course Sultas of swing is the ultimate classic (the life version from Alchemy is &└Ñ┬ùão■♠┌♥°♣ (not describalble)

but i also like the old songs (i like very much "down to the waterline")

For me there will never be ONE dire strait song, because tere are so many who are so beautiful...

• As for me, it's "Telegraph Road" and "You and your friend" from the DS era, and "Speedway to Nazareth" plus "Rudiger" from solo.

• Brotha said...
    • User
    • 11 Dec 2005, 22:22
    As boring an answer this is, I'm gonna have to go with 'Sultans of Swing'. The first album is my absolute favorite, near-perfection-piece of the Dire Straits. The solo stuff in general can be a bit tiresome at times, but it's definitely not bad. He's got the same songwriting skills, and his lyric writing is still marvellous. But yeah, the first album's great. I like single-handed sailor the best on Communiqué (probably cause it's so much like Sultans...), but all the songs are nice on that record. I prefer the original Dire Straits feeling, it takes me to late-seventies England, although I'm far too young to have actually ever been there! That feeling's the most dominant on the first album, I just love the moody London-by-night atmosphere and the bluesy/folk sound of the album. What I do not like is what the 80's and stadium gigs did to the Dire Straits sound, but the songs from that era are great anyway ;).

• been_2 said...
    • User
    • 29 Dec 2005, 16:06
    Dire Straits : Telegraph Road, Tunnel of Love (best ending ever) and Private Investigation

Mark Knopfler : Boom, like that, What it is, Golden Heart

It's to late to stop now!
  • Telegraph Road. Actually that's my favourite song of all time, not just from Knopfler.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 11 Mar 2006, 00:08
    Romeo and Juliet. :o

• MJ-K said...
    • User
    • 11 Mar 2006, 11:18
    Dire Straits:
    Romeo and Juliet
    Sultans of Swing

Solo:
    Well. Quite a lot :) There are over a dozen really good songs, but none that are so outstanding I could say "This is it!"

• been_2 said...
    • User
    • 14 Mar 2006, 11:11
    I forgot one : The man's too strong from Brothers in Arms -> Great song

It's to late to stop now!
  • From Dire Straits era - Brothers in Arms and as above, Sultans live on Alchemy.

From MK's solo - Sailing to Philadelpia is fantastic, as is Wag the Dog. Decisions, decisions... Philadelphia it is, today. Or then again, maybe Going Home...

Notting Hillbillies deserve an honourable mention for Your Own Sweet Way as well.

• Hum... Hard to decide...
    But from Dire Straits, the song that made me cry the most is surely Brothers in arms, especially in the 1992 Tour and in the 1996 Golden Tour...
    But I love too Sultans of Swing during the 1992 Tour, with Chris White on the sax...
    And the wonderful Telegraph Road during the Shangri-La Tour...

From Mark Knopfler only, my prefered songs are Speedway at Nazareth live, Sailing to Philadelphia with James Taylor, the wonderful Shangri-la and the exotic Postcards from Paraguay !

See you !

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 13 Apr 2006, 22:27
    Hum..hum...hum...hard question definitely. However i've made my choses:

DIRE STRAITS: Romeo and juliet, money for nothing, walk of live

SOLO: Speedway at Nazareth, Baloney again, what it is and trawlerman's song

• Dire Straits : Tunnel of Love, Lady Writer, Down To The Waterline
    Mark Knopfler: What It Is, Speedway at Nazareth.

• Dire Straits: Wild West End

This song is painfully underrated. It's every bit as sharp as Sultans of Swing, and while it's not as big or bright, the music is just as wonderful.

Mark Knopfler: Quality Shoe

Pure delight.

• barct said...
    • User
    • 17 Jun 2006, 01:02
    mmm, Dire Straits: Telegraph Road. amazing song!
    Mark Knopfler: Done With Bonaparte

• TheRUD said...
    • User
    • 14 Jul 2006, 23:41
    as for the others for me it's hard to say the one and only favourite song ,too, but I'm a fan of songs like "song for sonny liston" and "donegan's gone" not just because I like the music, but because I love the message that stands behind the text

but of course I love hits like "why aye man" or "sailing to philadelphia" ,too.

in the end i think, they're all as good as one can love them all ;)

"Das ist der FLESH! Er ist super stark und super nackig!"
  • Walk of life!!!!

• Tough one...

Telegraph Road
    Sultans of Swing
    Single Handed Sailor (I agree with this one)
    Tunnel of Love

Non-DS:

Your Own Sweet Way (Notting Hillbillies)
    Wild Theme (Local Hero)
    Junkie Doll

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.