So who plays mandolin here?

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 21 Jan 2007, 16:31

So who plays mandolin here?

Just thought I'd ask who plays or is learning to play mandolin here.

Personally I began playing early last year.

I was thinking if anyone has any good suggestions - websites, DVDs, books etc. - that they know of that might be of interest to those playing maybe they could post it here.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 22 Jan 2007, 17:30
    I began playing in June!

• b-net said...
    • User
    • 5 Mar 2007, 22:07
    same i got one for christmas a couple of years ago

• I do!

• i've been playing since decemeber, but my mando is really cheap and crappy, i'd like a new one

• Last year I started playing after taking a break for a long time (almost a decade).

I recommend Steve Kaufman's books "20 bluegrass tunes every parking lot picker should know" They have tabs and notes for 3 different levels on every tune so you can really work your way up. Plus CD's so you can hear him ramble.

I started a blog to keep track of progress. you can hear my struggles here: http://nathansilvers.com/mando/

• b-net said...
    • User
    • 16 Apr 2007, 19:53
    hmm i'm not really interested in the bluesgrass element of the instrument i'm more into using it in places where it isnt heard a lot. At the moment i'm probably going to work it inot my mini rock opera based on the sand raiders from Star Wars :)

• oleway said...
    • User
    • 24 Apr 2007, 16:10
    I've been playing the mandolin for a bit over a year, and what an exciting instrument it is!

I agree with b-net; I like the mandolin used in rock and jazz music, even though bluegrass music often can be interesting.

• Sure!

I've been playing the mandolin since -95.

You can hear one of my bands, Krack (Swedish and Irish New Traditional Music) on MySpace if you like :-)

Hope to get our CD up here on last.fm soon...

Edited by smekis84 on 7 Aug 2008, 21:35
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 15 May 2007, 05:11
    I had a quick listen to your band Krack on myspace and really enjoyed what heard! nice work :)

I've added Krack to the group connections too.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 5 Jul 2007, 23:14

Edited by a deleted user on 30 Aug 2011, 00:34
  • Hey, I just found a Mandolin-Banjo, a 100 years old one, and today I went looking for new skin and strings and stuff.. Anyway, I don't play Mandolin (it's played like a mandolin) and I'd like to learn it a bit, try to play it, but I really don't know anything about it.. Could someone write down some chords or something? Would be very helpful ^^

• I got one for my last birthday in march, and have been taking lessons from one of my friends for the past few months. He's ridiculously talented, but I haven't learned all that much, because the lessons are sparse.

I love playing/listening to bluegrassy/"newgrass" stuff, but I also love more modern poppy stuff on mandolin. I'm having trouble finding songs to play.

A Mandolin-Banjo... that's so weeeeird. What are the strings?

• I got one for my last birthday in march, and have been taking lessons from one of my friends for the past few months. He's ridiculously talented, but I haven't learned all that much, because the lessons are sparse.

I love playing/listening to bluegrassy/"newgrass" stuff, but I also love more modern poppy stuff on mandolin. I'm having trouble finding songs to play.

A Mandolin-Banjo... that's so weeeeird. What are the strings?

• Mandolin-strings =) It's played like a Mandolin ^^

• Yeah, I kind of realized that after I posted, and then never got around to posting again. This site has a good chord generator. Hope that helps.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 6 Aug 2007, 14:27

Edited by a deleted user on 30 Aug 2011, 00:34
  • I just got one for my birthday this summer...still trying to find time to practice here and there. I may never be a master, but few things give me more joy than sitting at home noodling around on my very own mando. I heart it.

And, like many have expressed here, I confess that my main interest is playing unlikely songs with it. I love bluegrass mandolin, but have little interest in playing that style myself. So far I've mostly been learning to play Ramones songs on it ^_^

• Just wanted to hype myself and say that I was just accepted to the Royal College of Music in Stockholm on the mandolin! It's a 3 year bachelor of music program in Swedish folk music and the highest level of education in performing music.

I too have a mandolin-banjo. It doesn't sound very good but very loud. It looks funny and makes for good performances!

Hear my band on MySpace and our band site!

• been playing for a couple of years

• Hekima said...
    • User
    • 9 Mar 2010, 19:09

Just started

My boyfriend fixed up an old one he found and I'm learning. "Restored" is too fancy a word for what he did since now the thing is purple. <3 He certainly put a lot of work into it, though.

• I played and took lessons around 5 years ago. I played mostly Celtic/Folk music with my family and friends. I've just recently started to pick it up again after a long hiatus.

I got inspired to play after hearing the Punch Brother's new CD "Antifogmatic". I can always look to Chris Thile for inspiration :P

I really wish I could find more music that involves the mandolin that isn't bluegrass though. I don't have anything against the genre, I just don't care much for it.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.