Can someone explain me?

• Can someone explain me?

Ok i download a Ubuntu version to PPC (because i don't have a comum pc, but a Mac PPC), but i don't istall it yet, looking in the internet i found something strange and start to think about it, so can someone tell me:

1-Linux have a "own" face? all the time i try to use Linux i see the same face (something about KDE and others faces?)?

2-Linux have something original or is just a "half-remake" of other operational systens? i mean, what is the diference in the security, speed, funcionality of Linux, i try to use a long time ago a distribution called "Conectiva Linux" but the driver resources like CD and Floopy disc don't realy work well.

3-To update a version of Linux it's necessary "re-install" the new version or Linux can update things like only the Kernel or especific parts?

Sorry ask it but i'm a little new in this "No-Windows" world.

• armands said...
    • User
    • 29 Dec 2006, 08:32
    1. The most common GUIs are KDE and Gnome, but there are others as well. For the begining I suggest you stick with one of those. By default Ubuntu comes with Gnome, KUbuntu with KDE.

2. There might be some driver issues for more "exotic" hardware but no problems with basic things like CD or floppy.

3. You can easily choose which libraries / modules you want to update.

• Realy?

Man it's cool know it, my retard teacher don't tell me this of Linux, he explain a little about KDE and GNOME faces, but not too much, but what mean this "exotic hardware"?

And it's good know about the update to, but if i have a Linux version 6.0 when if i do all the updates he altomatic goes to the next version? 7.0 for example, or i need reinstall to get it?

• armands said...
    • User
    • 29 Dec 2006, 13:06
    To make some things clear - there is no such thing as Linux version. Each distributive has its own version numbering, for example Ubuntu now has 6.x, Suse now has 10.x and so on ... And yes, if you want to move from Ubuntu 6 to Ubuntu 7 then you will have to reinstall the system. Non-distributive specific libraries have the same version conversion for any linux, even for any os. Like MySQL 5.0 should have exactly the same features for any linux/unix/win os.

"Exotic hardware" - Either some new technology hardware or not so commonly used hardware. I remember there were problems with SATA drive detetion (and drivers for those I think as well) when they first came out. But most of the times you can find drivers somewhere on web ;) Then you just need to manually install them

And one recomendation - when you install linux, make at least two partions on your hard drive, one for root "/" and one for home "/home". If you ever want to reinstall then system, you only format root partition and don't touch "home" partion. That way you will keep your previous users with their data and specific settings. For example, I had no problem moving from ubuntu to suse, all my kde, firefox, thunderbird etc settings were the same as before. I typically make 4 partions - root, home, boot and swap.

Hope this helps

• You don't know how...

Man it's good know it about Linux, especialy this "two partitions" ideia, i like it, i just hope this work with my pc, and thank's by the awser, Ds...

• armandsAnd yes, if you want to move from Ubuntu 6 to Ubuntu 7 then you will have to reinstall the system.
    ? What about apt-dist upgrade?
    Upgrading to another version should be *relatively* easy, imo.

Do you believe in magic?
    • armands said...
    • User
    • 31 Dec 2006, 15:18
    Umm .. never heard of that before :O

• Do you believe in magic?
  • in most cases you should just be able to upgrade over a previous version of the same distro. Some distros will not all this if they have huge changes with libraries and stuff, like PCLinuxOS will when 0.94 comes out.

Hardware is another issue and it will be based solely on what hardware you have. I can't imagine having a Mac PPC that there would be much of a problem. It's not like a Windows-based PC where the amount of different hardware configurations and vendors is mind-boggling.

• to update debian based distros...

just open terminal and write:

# apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade

This WILL upgrade the list of files (apt-get update) that you have on your /etc/apt/sources.list and will download/update the new things (apt-get dist-upgrade)... the '&&' is just to 'make something than another thing'
    on ubuntu you have synaptic, that you just need to 'click here and there' and it's done, but it works on every debian-based distro... but i dont like sypnaptic...

Ubuntu is debian based.

*Debian will always be in my heart, aside with KDE*
    *Debian 'etch 4.0' user*

• armands said...
    • User
    • 3 Jan 2007, 10:33
    Good stuff, but usually switching between distro versions isnt that hard anyways, even switching between distros isnt that bad

• only not painful if you have your /home on a separate partition. Otherwise, if you haven't backed up, it's a pain.

But who doesn't do backups nowadays.....

*rushes to the store to get an external hard drive for backups!

• I'd like to answer point 2 & 3 ...
    Let me start with the definition of 'linux'. Linux IS the kernel and nothing more. Everything else (KDE and Gnome including) are just programs. It doesent matter much which version of linux you're using (and by version, i mean the kernel version), you will notice only version differences in KDE or Gnome (or any other window manager).
    The driver issues are handled by the kernel, since the kernel is the operating system. Some distributions offer support for cdrom/floppy directly in the kernel, others as kernel modules (modules are like add-ons for the kernel).
    As for the point 3 of your question...to update 'linux', you have to update the kernel. But you probably wont notice the updates. To update your 'desktop', you have to update your window manager ...for which you dont have to reinstall your linux distro. Depending on your distro provided package manager, that should be fairly easy these days. You already got help for debian-based distros (apt, synaptic ...)

• ...or portage on Gentoo ^^

1. Linux have one face... it's called a shell (basic sh) ;p other things in theory are "toys" that makes work easer on linux ^^
    2. Not all distros like ppc ;p but theres also ones that don't like x86-based machines ^^ its depends what software they offer
    3. Linux's (...and other unix-like OS's) possibility to update and modify every single part of your system and kernel without any "big reinstall" stuff is one of manor pluses of unix-like systems (including linux), forget about waiting to another windows version or service pack for new supports of something on windows ^^ here in OpenSource world theres always something everyday ;p I know its hard too understand and mange in first steps on linux in distros like Ubuntu that looks like one big massive OS like windows at first look but truly its a construction build with blocks that can be easily replayes by other blocks ;p

Anyway good idea for you is read more about linux (history too ^^) and visit some sites ;p starting from wikipedia and articles for linux newbies (...it's good for learning new "rules" after first windows migration... i know its shock ;p) and if you need something correctly check out How-To's and Software documentary (Read me and stuff) ;p Try it ,i know this will help you to understand everything ^^

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.