LIL B’S ALBUM TITLE CAUSES HUGE STIR IN URBAN AND GAY COMMUNITY

• LIL B’S ALBUM TITLE CAUSES HUGE STIR IN URBAN AND GAY COMMUNITY

Lil B is coming out…with a new April album that’s title is causing quite a stir. The rapper has pulled an atypical move and announced the title of his upcoming album as I’m Gay. Now anyone with a brain can see why this could be problematic for his career as a rap artist, but Lil B is sticking to the title despite the controversy. I’m Gay has gotten the attention of the top gay and lesbian ally group GLAAD who had a response to Lil B as well. Find out what they had to say, as well as the title’s real meaning after the cut.

During his set at Coachella, Lil B announced that the title of his upcoming album would be I’m Gay. Right after annoucning the title Lil B proclaimed that he was not actually homosexual, but instead it was a play on the word gay’s original meaning of happy. He also says the title is a reach to the gay community as well. In a statement to MTV, the rapper said:

I’m very gay, but I love women. I’m not attracted to men in any way. I’ve never been attracted to a man in my life. But yes I am gay, I’m so happy. I’m a gay, heterosexual male. I got major love for the gay and lesbian community, and I just want to push less separation and that’s why I’m doing it.

So he’s just a gay man, a happy man. Gotcha. Still, groups like GLAAD are unsure of his motives with the title and at this point can only hope that he actually has love for the gay and lesbian community. A spokesperson for GLAAD told urban music website XXLMag.com:

As a lyricist, Lil B knows that words matter. Slurs have the power to fuel intolerance. We hope that Lil B’s album title is not just a gimmick, and is really a sincere attempt to be an ally. He has the platform and the voice. We hope he uses it in a positive way.

That is a very positive hope, and with somewhat of a cult following Lil B definitely has the sway to make an interesting change in the urban community.

Still, there has been some huge backlashes against Lil B, including death threats. Hateful slurs and threatened violence have been sent Lil B’s way, some from longtime fans. I won’t fuel the fire and add the statements, but they get pretty bad.

Regardless, B says he’s working to change the stereotypes and problems between the gay and urban community. The rapper also said,

One-hundred years later, people gonna thank me, because people are going to be free. And that’s the main thing. Even if it’s 1 percent of the people that listen to me and are gonna be free, that’s better than none. ” That’s better than not speaking up at all … and I spoke up and I did it.

So it looks like Lil B is looking to create some change with this album title. While one can only hope the music is good enough to make the title hold some musical acclaim and importance with. While I’ve actually never listened to Lil B, what I’m hearing from his fans and other articles…I’m definitely interested. Now would he have caught my attention if his album was titled “Guns, Grenades, and G Unit?” Probably not. Does he have yours? Tell me your thoughts in the comments, I always respond.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.