Whats the point?

• EviLSpy said...
    • User
    • 18 Nov 2009, 22:43

Whats the point?

Last.FM on Xbox consoles is an awesome idea... But what the hell is the point of using it if you cant stream the music while playing live games? I can just as easily leave my laptop by me and stream there.

I would have figured the last.fm/microsoft developers would have made the software more versatile to allow streaming while even exploring the dashboard and playing online... I guess someone didnt think that one through. After calling XBOX support even the agent was shocked to discover that there really is no point of last.fm on your xbox.

Thoughts?

• Personally, you have to be thinking of Piracy or you have to have alot of albums Ripped to your laptop to htink Last.fm is pointless.

1. because Last.fm is made so you can listen, and love your favorite songs without being a pirate yourself.
    2. Nobody I know of personally likes every song on an album regardless of who the artist is. People have there picks, and that's what Last.fm is for.
    3. Think of the lag; Running a program, streaming off your bandwith whilst playing MW2 etc, the lag would be unbelievable. Even if you have a 50 meg connection.
    4. You can scroll through music randomnly and find a track you may actually like, but never heard before; (which is what I enjoy it for mostly)

But that is just personal preference, no hard critisism. It's my honest opinion though.

I do critisize ONE thing about the 360 Player itself.
    It needs to have a seperate menu to View songs you have loved instead of having to skip through a ton of tracks to listen to one you want to listen too.

It's quite annoying ha.

• EviLSpy said...
    • User
    • 18 Nov 2009, 23:35
    Jimbobmagic said:

3. Think of the lag; Running a program, streaming off your bandwith whilst playing MW2 etc, the lag would be unbelievable. Even if you have a 50 meg connection.

I totally understand where your coming from and I to agree with every point regarding the value of last.fm being that ive been a member since the Audioscrobbler days.

But the streaming and lag is a valid point I can understand where that would be a major issue effecting game play on live... too bad they cant figure out a smoother way to integrate.

• It's annoying when you can't find the tracks you've "loved" and have to go all the way through them!! :(

Donna
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 19 Nov 2009, 00:08
    oodonnaoo said:
    It's annoying when you can't find the tracks you've "loved" and have to go all the way through them!! :(
    If you're a subscriber, you can go to the "Your Library Stations" section, and listen to a special radio station called "Your Loved Tracks".

• On an up side to Last.Fm on XBox, The songs seem to sound a bit better than listening to albums you've copied to your Xbox hard drive. Of course, If you don't have a decent speaker system and you're just playing through your TV speakers you won't hear much of a difference but hey, I think the difference could be there or maybe it's just because I was listening to music on my computer prior to turning on XTC radio. I'll have to compare.

• EviLSpy said:
    Jimbobmagic said:

I totally understand where your coming from and I to agree with every point regarding the value of last.fm being that ive been a member since the Audioscrobbler days.

But the streaming and lag is a valid point I can understand where that would be a major issue effecting game play on live... too bad they cant figure out a smoother way to integrate.

its simple make it you can listen to last fm while you playing a game as long as you are not playing online kinda like when you are downloading on the 360 you can download while you play but when you try and play online the download stops

• The set up for the whole thing on xbox is agrovating.... no method to put loved songs in a playlist.... no way to listen to a band specifically if you're interested in them.... one would think if you search a band you'd hear more than one song by them before it goes to bands you don't want to listen to..... But the major complaint I have is not being able to listen to this during my gaming online. I WILL drop last.fm completely if something isn't done soon.... If my xbox is on... it is devoted to gaming, either enhance that or just not get listened to....

games > music every time.

• Last fm

Also not being able to listen to one bloody artist. I try to listen to one artist and it picks a crap band! Annoying.

Rhys Murphy!
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 21 Nov 2009, 08:13
    i think LastFm "shot themselves in the foot" by getting gamers involved here, because they tend to be quite the complaining bunch.

@ XukTWiiCHZz
    you pick an artist and it will play songs that the LastFM community thinks you might also like along the genre. dont like it? skip to the next song.

@ threats like I WILL drop last.fm completely if something isn't done soon.
    hilarious! go buy CDs than! i hardly see what is to cry and threat about unless your subscribing to LastFm.

in general. I did find the channel for my "loved tracks". I do agree that having the service available during a single player session would be great! i wonder though how that is going to be implemented, advertisements between songs? How will music distributer react, perhaps pulling a song from LastFM for a while so that it is exclusive on the latest big name game regular release e.g. new Burnout or various other open-world game that has its own radio station.

@ Whats the point?
    c'mon now. Invite some friends over, chill, relax, stream some music. how hard is that?

• zuul213 said...
    • User
    • 21 Nov 2009, 19:15
    Invite some friends over, chill, relax, stream some music.
    chillaxin! =]

• dj_edge said...
    • User
    • 21 Nov 2009, 19:48

The point...

I know what you mean, but for me this means I can know listen to Last.fm in surround sound in my living room instead of thru computer speakers or headphones.

• Well on the lag issue:
    whose business is the lag? Mine thankyou very much.
    You give me the service, I'll deal with the lag.

Plus as I'm under 18, I can't use last.fm. Even though to sign up for an account you don't need to be... epic fail.

• Great app

I don't know what all the complaining is about. I've got to believe they are working on a solution for streaming while you play. But for the time being, it's a great application. I've been listening to it quite a bit. It's great to have an elegant player to listen to last.fm to while cleaning the house, doing the dishes, fixing/eating dinner, etc.

I would like to see album art added down the road. But so far so good.

• nuklr said...
    • User
    • 22 Nov 2009, 07:58
    Fine, I understand the lag with games that you are playing online on Xbox LIVE. But what about offline games? Why can't you listen to music from Last.FM while playing Assassin's Creed 2?

• KiF1rE said...
    • User
    • 22 Nov 2009, 17:38
    i stream internet radio to my xbox using tversity all the time and i dont experience any lag issues when online, everything runs as smooth as it did without it...

• Duh.

The lag, wouldn't it be offset by buffering between songs, and streaming at a slightly lower bitrate while playing? That's kind of a lame point. I see no reason why Streaming while gaming should be impossible. I mean, hell, they could easily beta the function to subscribers to offset the cost of coding the function, could they not?

• Hey, this is still new.. THey obviously havent had time to get user feedback, im sure in the near future they will improve the last.fm channel on the xbox. This is already a big stepping stone in whats to come.

• jdale38 said...
    • User
    • 24 Nov 2009, 21:47
    for those whining and complaining about not being able to have streaming music and playing video juegos simultaneously...this is for yall:

this has been a long time coming for the xbox...i'm glad the xbox community is able to stream "internet radio" seamlessly...yes i agree that there should be some functionality of being able to game while listening to music, but that interface may take a couple months to develop considering it took this long for streaming music (in a legit sense) to come to the xbox...so far i have enjoyed my last.fm experience with the xbox...and i can't wait to see what's available in the future

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.