Will the Last.fm app have Multitasking for iPhone OS 4.0?

• Will the Last.fm app have Multitasking for iPhone OS 4.0?

just curious

• Yes, our app will support background streaming and headphone/dock remote control buttons on iPhoneOS 4.0.

• pecet said...
    • User
    • 6 Jun 2010, 19:54
    Does app will support background real-time scrobbling in countries where app is not available now? I known that you guys don't have license for mobile streaming for these countries, but how about scrobbling?

• pecet said:
    Does app will support background real-time scrobbling in countries where app is not available now? I known that you guys don't have license for mobile streaming for these countries, but how about scrobbling?
    No, our app will not provide real-time scrobbling, as the iPhone multitasking only allows a very limited set of tasks, such as playing music, to run in the background.

• savall said...
    • User
    • 10 Jun 2010, 12:06
    Hi there...I am using last.fm app for iphone...I've upgraded my iphone's OS to 4.0...unfortunately multitasking for last.fm is not working. As i play a radio in last fm app and want to check emails, the app closes itself and no music can be heard... Any planned update for supporting real multitasting? Thanks...

• savall said:
    Hi there...I am using last.fm app for iphone...I've upgraded my iphone's OS to 4.0...unfortunately multitasking for last.fm is not working. As i play a radio in last fm app and want to check emails, the app closes itself and no music can be heard... Any planned update for supporting real multitasting? Thanks...
    OS4 isn't available to the public yet, and Apple is not yet accepting apps built w/ the OS4 SDK to the App store. When Apple releases the IOS 4 update later this month, we'll release our update to support it.

• Scrobbling in Background Service

Even though Apple doesn't allow the background music service to trigger scrobbles, can't the server detect what songs are being accessed and scrobble based on that information? Since it is a stream, you could theoretically even detect when the song has been playing for 50% of its length, but of course the simplest thing to do would just be to scrobble when the song is accessed. I wouldn't mind a little inaccuracy in background scrobbling, just so long as it actually works.

• Re: Scrobbling in Background Service

djspiewak said:
    Even though Apple doesn't allow the background music service to trigger scrobbles, can't the server detect what songs are being accessed and scrobble based on that information? Since it is a stream, you could theoretically even detect when the song has been playing for 50% of its length, but of course the simplest thing to do would just be to scrobble when the song is accessed. I wouldn't mind a little inaccuracy in background scrobbling, just so long as it actually works.
    Scrobbling of radio stations isn't a problem, it's scrobbling of the iPod app that we can't do in the background.

• How about a custom player? I mean, there is iScrobbler, right? Would be nice to see an official app.

EOF
  • It's a day before the release of iOS 4, which will include multitasking. How long after its release can we expect to see the Last.fm app taking advantage of this? The sooner the better, obviously. Thanks!

• The update should hopefully be available later this week, depending on how long it takes Apple to approve it.

• Irickcb said...
    • User
    • 21 Jun 2010, 22:21
    Hi there, Just wondering if Apple has yet approved your 4.0 aware app, i know it is day zero and we can't be expecting too many apps approved yet, but yours seems popular enough to be getting priority reviewal. I've got to say that background audio is a real improvement in the other apps i've tested and i just can't wait to be having some background last.fm going on :D

• moosatov said:
    How about a custom player? I mean, there is iScrobbler, right? Would be nice to see an official app.

This really seems like the ideal solution. I'd use a custom player app that supports scrobbling in a hot minute.

• Pandora's already got their update approved- just downloaded it and it works in the background...

• Porieux said...
    • User
    • 22 Jun 2010, 02:36

Re: Re: Scrobbling in Background Service

c99koder said:
    Scrobbling of radio stations isn't a problem, it's scrobbling of the iPod app that we can't do in the background.

Yes, not when the user is playing from the iPod app, Apple doesn't allow this.

However:
    You could play music from the iPod music library in the Last.FM app, and scrobble that way. This is allowed through the API, I have seen a bunch of other apps that access the iPod library, playlists etc. Navigon for example.

• Majola said...
    • User
    • 22 Jun 2010, 12:34
    Can't wait for this to be sorted

• Re: Re: Re: Scrobbling in Background Service

Porieux said:
    However:
    You could play music from the iPod music library in the Last.FM app, and scrobble that way. This is allowed through the API, I have seen a bunch of other apps that access the iPod library, playlists etc. Navigon for example.

c99koder, that is true and we're looking for that in the next update!
    It would be nice to open last.fm app, and to be able to play ipod's music from there. And get artist bio, tour and all that data AND scrobble music at the same time!

• The Imeem app let you play the music on your device and from the cloud while updating your profile. I would love for the last.fm app to be able to access your on board music.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 22 Jun 2010, 15:30

Canada lastfm

Will the update for 4.0 come to me in Canada as I have been using lastfm on my iPhone since the beginning.

• Re: Canada lastfm

aubyaxler said:
    Will the update for 4.0 come to me in Canada as I have been using lastfm on my iPhone since the beginning.
    No. We can currently only distribute the app to the US, UK, and Germany. Users in other countries will not be able to receive updates through iTunes.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 22 Jun 2010, 21:45
    Why are you not supporting updates or programs in Canada and will you in the future.

• aubyaxler said:
    Why are you not supporting updates or programs in Canada and will you in the future.

They can't because of the licensing limitations, I believe. So why not change your iTunes country store (in the account settings) and download a new Last.fm app once it is released. **You will need a credit card and address within the United States.

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/tips-tricks/how-to-setup-a-us-itunes-account-in-canada/

• Our mobile streaming license currently only covers users in the US, UK, and Germany. We cannot distribute our iPhone app outside of those three countries at this time, and iTunes doesn't provide us a way to allow existing users to upgrade without also allowing new users to download the app. Until we can legally allow new users to download the app in Canada (and elsewhere), we cannot provide updates through iTunes.

• I'm sure your development team has thoroughly gone through the options in scrobbling songs listened to through the iPhone. Does apple prevent all access to recent plays? Even if not done in realtime, is there a way it can be submitted on interval or manually?

The realtime Scrobble app is about the only reason to jailbreak the phone now. Any chance of a future Apple partnership to integrate LastFM into iPhone in some way? For me, LastFM is about the "Joy of Statistics" on my listening habits - to be a joy, it has to be effortless. All said, LastFM is one of my top fave web apps, keep it up.

• jassper said...
    • User
    • 23 Jun 2010, 16:09
    still waiting for upgrade for iOS 4...
    can't wait to be able to listen to last.fm while doing some other oh so important things on my iPhone... :-)

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.