• In the current iPhone app, the things I use most are:

* Radio (Mix, Recommended) - this is far and away what I use the app for most.
    * Finding events, recommended events

From the API, the stuff I'd like to see:

* Nice profiles (e.g. show taste-o-meter)
    * Charts

Very cool. Will you sell this on the App Store, or let Last.fm merge the code back, or both?

Cheers,

Alex

• JustSid said...
    • User
    • 14 Dec 2010, 21:44
    Thanks for your input, it would be great to hear other opinions too.

@BJNelson262: Are you talking about the iPod app? So basically a focus on the music and the stuff around it and not too much about the social stuff?

alexmuller said:
    Very cool. Will you sell this on the App Store, or let Last.fm merge the code back, or both?

Nope, I'm not going to sell it nor putting it on the App Store at all. There is too much stuff involved with this like giving customer support to absolute morons etc.
    But I will put the source into an public repository at github (not yet, but very soon) and will maintain it of course. I've chosen a very open license (MIT) which allows anyone to sell it on the App Store or do what ever he/she wants so there is a chance that the app will find its way to the App Store.

Edit: Just looked into the taste-o-meter: What an awesome thing, that will be implemented asap!

• Just a heads up, due to our licensing agreements with various record labels, our radio API cannot be used in 3rd party mobile apps. Non-radio API stuff is fine, though.

Regarding the current app's source, a lot of it was written for iPhone OS 1.x before Apple had released the official SDK / documentation, which is why it's a bit of a mess. We're working on rewriting a large amount of the app for a major update that should be available early next year.

• JustSid said...
    • User
    • 15 Dec 2010, 22:02
    Don't worry, I'm not going to break the radio and mobile rule (btw, it would be interesting to read your definition of mobile), however, I will still implement everything needed into my ObjC API wrapper as it allows other authentication methods beside the mobile one too.
    So if someone else breaks it, I can't and won't stop him.

About the officials app code, okay, didn't knew that. However, I still recommend you to read the memory management guideline, how autorelease pools and runloops work and the ownership stuff. It would give the code a huge performance benefit!

• Needs to happen

Bottom line, you have waited too long. Get with it or you will lose at least one user.

• Gunch said...
    • User
    • 27 Dec 2010, 20:35
    I'm really surprised it's taken this long. Pandora was on the ball right away with this thing. Maybe I'm a snob, but I hate using iPhone apps on my iPad. If there is an alternative designed for the iPad, then I'll use it. I was never a big fan of Pandora, but as far as I'm concerned, it's the only game in town. This has led to me using it on the iPhone most of the time as well.

To the early Spanish explorers, who drank of its water after thirsty weeks at sea, it was el Rio de los Brazos de Dios - the River of the Arms of God.
  • That would be sick to have on an ipad

• bearfister & Gunch

@bearfister & @Gunch, I'm with you, as are the rest of us here at the office. We all used to use Last.FM quite frequently, (mostly on my boss' iPhone while we worked), but after I got my iPad we started using that at the office and used the Pandora app because of the nice iPad interface. That also led us all to using it on our iPhones & iPod touches as well. Was a shame because I preferred Last.FM that played music based on everything you listen to instead of just choosing one specific artist to compare or genre, but I use my iPad so much more than anything else that I just can't do it anymore.

Listen to what the Pandora CEO said happened to them after the AppStore launch. Their user base multiplied several times and they focus on that mobile market more than anything because they know that's where the world is going no. I use my laptop only at work and I almost never sit at my desktop or even use my laptop anymore. My iPhone & my iPad do the job but without a reliable iPad app, I've essentially quit using Last.FM. Both devices still Scrobble using iScrobbler in Cydia, (jailbroken), but I don't do anything else with Last.FM

• senses0 said...
    • User
    • 19 Jan 2011, 13:52

Still nothing?

What is taking you so long to come up with this, Last.fm?

• last.fm needs a good ipad app desperately

• lawjamjr

So, to the last.fm staff, will your new app release having the rewritten code scheduled for release (soon?) be optimized for the iPad? Please say yes because you guys have been wasting away. Pandora has had it since the iPad was released, and Slacker Radio's iPad App is about to be available soon at the app store according to some published reports.

• srjon said...
    • User
    • 31 Jan 2011, 10:33
    The shame is that even the latest lastfm mac app I cannot scrobble my ipad connected to itunes... And today the ipad is my main music player.

• This is frustrating. Like others, I've essentially stopped using Last.FM since I bought my iPad - 10 months ago. I use Pandora and, more often, Internet Radio apps like Spark Radio and Pocket Tunes.

• biomech9000 said:
    This is frustrating. Like others, I've essentially stopped using Last.FM since I bought my iPad - 10 months ago. I use Pandora and, more often, Internet Radio apps like Spark Radio and Pocket Tunes.

I barely use Last.fm anymore either. It's a real shame. This site has sooooo much potential, and the fact that they don't do anything worthwhile with their iPhone app, and NOTHING for iPad, is going to kill them in the end. I was a happy subscriber for a while there, but haven't given my money to Last.fm for so long now because it just feels like a sinking ship. There's no sign things are improving at all here... :-(

• biomech9000 said:
    This is frustrating. Like others, I've essentially stopped using Last.FM since I bought my iPad - 10 months ago. I use Pandora and, more often, Internet Radio apps like Spark Radio and Pocket Tunes.

Sadly, I have to agree.

• WTF are you waiting for?

Come on already!

• What a shame

I was planning to use my iPad as my media player for music and would have loved to be able to use last.fm. Thank god I did invest in the subscription when the cross platform is so limited.

I only see two options for last.fm globally. Either make your website completely html5 or get those apps developed.

• Native app

I too would appreciate a native iPad app.

I wanted to be able to scrobble realtime...

I hope we can get that functionality soon

• It's time

Requiring a subscription, which I have, in order to use the mobile apps and not providing a native ipad app when the device is almost a year old is unforgivable. Please hurry up and fix this so you don't start hemorrhaging users to competing services like pandora.

• salvo said...
    • User
    • 22 Feb 2011, 09:14

Re: WTF are you waiting for?

Barefootpanda şöyle demiş:
    biomech9000 said:

Sadly, I have to agree.

Sadly, I have to agree [as well]. From time to time I'll get a last.fm subscription which I barely use now, I'm mostly listening to Internet radio on the iPad and because of some advantages I'd rather not say, again, Internet radio on my PC.
    You lost a whole lot of faithful users (at least where I'm from) when you switched to paid accounts for users from those countries I'm assuming you don't much care about business-wise. So at least come up with an iPad app, last.fm. Basically, use it or lose it.

Edit: Nevermind, I just realized that even if there is an app, it probably won't be available to my country so...

Salvo Daze
  • Why bother....

Why bother.... As we have now lost mobile playback without a subscription, I apathetic to this whole situation now, which actually is a win for Last.fm.

I am lucky enough to have a free 3 month sub after this change, but will be ditching (probably with a lot of people) last.fm when this sub is up.

But that's just me, there is the other case if more people sub to get mobile playback maybe we will get a iPad app but I do doubt this.

This is not a rant at the developer(s) of the last.fm iPhone app as I am sure they are excellent developers, it is more the higher level choices of management.

• iPad app

It's been said enough, so I won't add to the hundreds of posts demanding a native iPad app.

My only guess as to why it hasn't happened is that the license agreements are expensive and prohibitive when it comes to mobile radio, due no doubt, to bad contracts with technophobic record label executives. Seems like last.fm doesn't have a useable app because they don't want (or can't afford) the business.

• It's time

give us an iPad app soon or risk losing all of your loyal customers

• I think last.fm is in a terminal decline these days; no decent iOS apps, generally poor radio (especially compared to how great it used to be), playlists not working. It's sad because it's still my favourite website out there and the first place I check when i go online. But I never bothering using any of the radios anymore. Sites like spotify are vastly superior...

• Is it coming or what ? If so, when ?

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.