Volume Normalisation please?

• Volume Normalisation please?

Last.FM Radio has a nasty habit of being too quiet or too loud on every other track. Its pretty frustrating.

Could Volume Normalisation be implemented in the application? Or unless you can apply it directly to the stream or source.

TREX6662k5
    Society Doesn't Understand Me, And Technology Fears Me
    • itsJAEK said...
    • User
    • 8 Nov 2008, 09:56
    It might just be the song's volume.

• ...Yes I know that. Thats the point of volume normalization. The application detects the difference in volume and adjusts accordingly making it equal.

TREX6662k5
    • Varese said...
    • User
    • 10 Nov 2008, 19:59
    To be pedantic, but I'm bored and waiting to go to a gig, so...

...normalisation doesn't 'detect the difference in volume and adjusts accordingly making it equal', it changes the gain of the track until the highest peak is at 0db. This can actually make the apparent 'volume' of different tunes sound drastically different to each other (quiet then LOUD etc), unless you're listening to overproduced and maxxxxxed out music like Oasis, Red Hot Chilli Peppers etc

What you're (actually) asking for is some kind of gain/limiter or multiband compressor effect; personally speaking I think they make stuff sound like crap cos they squeeze all the dynamic range out of everything, but as we're talking about low-quality streamed mp3 audio here I guess it makes no difference. As long as I can turn it off in the settings.

Why don't you just use the volume control?

Pretends reggae isn't just the same song repeated ad nauseum at:
  • Its usually plugged in to my stereo and I might not be around the controls. Even if it were playing in my pocket, it would become frustrating having to get it out after every other track.

Big culprits are System of a Down and Mushroom Head. Then some of the ambient tracks from Deru and Amethystium

Ah my bad, I mistakenly believed normalisation was what I wanted.

TREX6662k5
  • What you askiing for is this:
    http://replaygain.hydrogenaudio.org/

For example: I use mp3gain for adjusting the volume of all of my mp3's.

"When words leave off, music begins." - Heinrich Heine
  • Well something like that, but applying it to the stream rather than the file itself. WMP, Foobar200 have a feature like this.

TREX6662k5
  • Scorchball

It is definitely wrong, whether too loud or too quiet. Why Don't Last.fm just leave the songs as they were produced.

We tested our own songs outside of Last.fm and nice n loud and clear (without overproducing them like some do, i.e Death Magnetic by Metallica, impossible to listen to on an iPod), then after uploading the same song to Last.fm and then downloading it the song must have reduced in volume by at least 40 percent, this is not acceptable. Reducing the volume significantly may introduce audible hiss as the listener compensates for the sudden quiet song by turning up the volume. Most listeners will get fed up with constantly adjusting their media players (whether digital or tangible hardware).

The difference is so great that we are now searching for an alternative to Last.fm. EVERYTHING else about Last.fm is brilliant so I hope they sort his out sooner rather than later as we have now stopped directing our fan base to Last.fm

Scorchball
Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.