iPhone doesn't scrobble, or does it?

• iPhone doesn't scrobble, or does it?

Maybe I've got it wrong, but as far as I know it's not possible to just scrobble tracks from the iPhone to LastFM. It is possible for the iPod, though.
    But I just connected my iPhone, installed the iTunes plugin for LastFM and tried.

The problem was that my iPhone wouldn't come up in the "recognised iPod" field, so I kinda gave up but I left my iPhoned connected. So I'm just listening to some songs with the iphone still connected. And suddenly Last.FM pops up saying that it had found tracks to scrobble, wut?!

Am I wrong, or is there somewhat scrobble functionality for the iPhone (only when it's connected?)

• Lndp4 said...
    • User
    • 26 Oct 2008, 23:46
    i don't know how helpful this is going to be, but the first few times i used the last.fm app on my iphone it didn't scrobble, and it was definitely disappointing. a few days later...i realized that it *was* scrobbling. i don't know what i changed/if i changed anything to make it so.

try going into your Settings(on the last.fm website), there should be a tab after Data called Applications- do you have anything listed there? If your iphone app is linking successfully to your last.fm profile you should have the square orange icon listed below.

i am like quicksand, lick it from my hand.
  • Hmm, there is nothing (about iPhones) there - though it now shows in the Last fm application (Tools > Options > iPod). Do you mean when it scrobbles, it scrobbles all the songs you've played?
    Maybe I should try to install the app also (even though it's not supported in Holland yet)

Edit: Okay, it won't let me install the app. Damn, I guess I'll just have to wait for it...

• ??

and what about "scrobble" and "scrobbled" apps ?
    I want to scrobble what I listen with th ipod part of my iPhone 2.1 ?!

should I desinstall scrobbled (to scrobble in background, as it is written) and scrobble and let only last.fm app?

• The official app won't let you scrobble tracks, Apple won't let it run in the background or access the itunes library.

If your iPhone is jailbroken use an app called scrobble from the Cydia installer, it works just fine but is set to only scrobble over WiFi as default and not over edge so maybe that is your problem if you have it already.

• scrobble

scrobble now available with simplyfy media for all non drm content to last fm.

• sQuidProQuo a dit :
    The official app won't let you scrobble tracks, Apple won't let it run in the background or access the itunes library.

If your iPhone is jailbroken use an app called scrobble from the Cydia installer, it works just fine but is set to only scrobble over WiFi as default and not over edge so maybe that is your problem if you have it already.

With firware 2.2 it doesn't work anymore..!

• iPhone May Scrobble Through iTunes

I haven't looked into this, but a possible explanation of LndP4's iPhone songs getting scrobbled a few days later is that when syncing with iTunes, iPod's usually transfer song statistics. If the Last.fm iTunes scrobbler picked up on this, then that would be a way that songs listened to on the iPhone could have gotten posted on last.fm.

• elricodelparis said:
    sQuidProQuo a dit :
    The official app won't let you scrobble tracks, Apple won't let it run in the background or access the itunes library.

With firware 2.2 it doesn't work anymore..!

scrobble works..not as nice but it gets the job done :)...you may be thinking of scrobbler :)

• I am brand new iPhone user, but I got my last.fm app, installed it on iPhone...
    I am able to scrobble various radios from last.fm app, but not my songs from ipod app. What's wrong?

I'm hanging on the ropes of hope
    It's getting hard to cope you know
  • @Aamaranthine:
    Due to limitations in the iPhone SDK, it is not currently possible to listen to Last.fm Radio while working in other applications, or to scrobble the iPod functions of the iPhone.
    see thread Known Issues (updated 9/27/08)

"When words leave off, music begins." - Heinrich Heine
  • 2 sunjammer:
    Thanks for explanation and related thread.

I'm hanging on the ropes of hope
    It's getting hard to cope you know
    • Idril89 said...
    • User
    • 17 Dec 2008, 18:29
    Don't know how, but I can finally scrobble with my Ipod touch :-D
    Didn't have to do anything for it, but suddenly my Ipod was recognised. (Perhaps got something to do with the itunes update? ) I'm not able to download the app from the itunes store yet, but this will do :-D

• sunjammer said:
    @Aamaranthine:
    Due to limitations in the iPhone SDK, it is not currently possible to listen to Last.fm Radio while working in other applications, or to scrobble the iPod functions of the iPhone.
    see thread Known Issues (updated 9/27/08)

It's possible, but not "out of the box". You must jailbreak and install third party software, I use Scrobble from the Cydia installer on 2.1 firmware just fine.

• "Scrobbled" is better. (still Cydia)

• The best case scenario would be if c99 ported the GUI part of MobileScrobbler to 2.0. I know he/she's busy with SDK, but still. It makes me want to find a 1.1.4 iPhone 2G just to go back to those days.

c99; if you're reading this - I would gladly port the rest of MobileScrobber (not the OS part, which has already been ported in Scrobble) if you gave me the 1.1.4 code.

• deabush said...
    • User
    • 7 Jan 2009, 23:22
    Sometimes my iPhone does scrobble.

In the Scrobbler Application on my Mac I go to Preferences > ipod (tab). Under Device my iPhone is listed. (I don't know if that's normal or not).

Today, I synced my iPhone...no change. But then when I opened my Last.fm Scrobbler App, it synced then (but only my songs from 2 days ago - not from today). Make sure under the above menu you check off 'always confirm ipod scrobbles'; that way you know when it's happening.

A little confused though.

• It's only scrobbling about 1/4 of the songs I listen to?

Iphone 3G - I thought lastfm was scrobbling fine, but recently I've noticed the delay mentioned above (songs scrobble a day later?), and only a small portion of the songs I listen to are scrobbling. I am listening to the entire song, and when I listen to them directly through itunes, they scrobble instantly in lastfm - so they're tagged correctly. I have the most recent versions of last and itunes. These are not songs played on the lastfm app - which I understand won't scrobble for some reason - these are songs played in the ipod function. Any suggestions? I've tried forcing it to scrobble through the diagnostics, and I've tried to understand the log but it makes no sense?

• wait a minute...

I'm listening to the lastfm radio on my iphone (through the app) and it's scrobbling. What the heck?!

• Does anyone from technical support even read these forums?!

• Onze said...
    • User
    • 10 Jan 2009, 17:13
    k my brain has been fucked up.

• i321213 said...
    • User
    • 11 Jan 2009, 14:24
    Last.fm application on my PC scrobbles everything i have listened on my iphone 3G since last synchronization. After approximately 5 to 10 minutes after connection there appears a window, where i can choose which songs to scrobble

• pBx10 said...
    • User
    • 12 Jan 2009, 18:03
    >_<'

• Got my iTouch to scrobble!

My iTouch (1st Generation) is manually updated, but I finally decided to put some photos on it. When I did, the scrobbler said I had some scrobbles! The photos are automatically synced. I guess automatically syncing music, videos, etc make it scrobble.

• I'm very tempted to downgrade my iPod and go back to the old MusicScrobbler... but that means losing all my games and the appStore. And Using a worse LastFM App... My charts are suffering...

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.