Last.FM Spotify app - recommended tracks - not albums

• psycik said...
    • User
    • 20 Jul 2012, 02:28

Last.FM Spotify app - recommended tracks - not albums

I think it would be nice in the Last.FM app for spotify to be able to create a playlist of recommended tracks, rather than whole albums.

• akrde said...
    • User
    • 25 Jul 2012, 14:38
    I like the album recommendations in Last.fm's Spotify app very much. :)

The recommended albums playlist is also a big recommended tracks playlist which contains all available tracks from these albums.

So just play it in shuffle mode... ;)

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 22 Nov 2012, 10:51
    I don't use last.fm because of that, in an album they are often just 2 or 3 songs wich interest me.

Playing in shuffle doesn't change anything

• Sheugel said...
    • Subscriber
    • 22 Nov 2012, 18:57
    +1
    I totally agree. I neither use it because of that.

• Greg_x7 said...
    • User
    • 14 Feb 2013, 12:17
    +0,5
    Albums are okay, but there should be two additional "modes" in the spotify app:
    1. ~15-20 recommended tracks per artist I don't have in my library (maybe taken from last.fm's most popular tracks).
    2. A playlist of at least a couple of dozen of tracks from recommended artists (can be both new and known artists, but all tracks have to be new), to replicate last.fm's Recommended Radio.

"With my feet upon the ground I lose myself between the sounds"
  • Check the "Now Playing" tab, there is a button in the upper right corner for creating a new Similar Tracks playlist while listening to a track. This is a unique feature of the app, by the way, neither available in the Last.fm web radio nor in the new scrobbler. ;-)

Something remotely similar would be Instant Playlists from the Last.fm Playground (check "Tracks like..."), but they use 30 seconds samples at the moment, because it is only supposed to become a standard feature if enough user feedback can be gathered for it.

And of course you can create one large playlist from all recommended albums in the app and then play it in shuffle mode which would at least "give the impression" of Last.fm's recommendations radio. As the Spotify software scrobbles to Last.fm, your recommendations will also change the longer you listen to this or other playlists, albums or radio stations, so you would have to create a new recommended albums playlist from time to time. Last but not least I recently tested the Spotify radio station based on the Last.fm Recommendations playlist and could listen to some nice new artists and albums as well.

• Strongly supporting Greg_x7's suggestions:

Albums are okay, but there should be two additional "modes" in the spotify app:
    1. ~15-20 recommended tracks per artist I don't have in my library (maybe taken from last.fm's most popular tracks).
    2. A playlist of at least a couple of dozen of tracks from recommended artists (can be both new and known artists, but all tracks have to be new), to replicate last.fm's Recommended Radio.

These two features would help the Last.fm Spotify app to fulfil the kind of role Last.fm radio had when I was still a paying customer. Then radio was killed in my country so I switched to Spotify. Still I would love to get the taste of really good Last.fm recommendations back, and recommended tracks and artists based on my profile (<em>not</em> just based on the track I'm currently playing) would be fabulous.

If the Last.fm Spotify and/or the Last.fm iOS apps were better designed, I might become a paying customer again. Right now both are just a bit too underdeveloped. They work, but they show few signs of striving for excellence and userfriendliness. I'm saying this as someone who has been with AS from 2004 &mdash; I love Last.fm.

núnyá gale núnyá gódó
  • I think it would be nice in the Last.FM app for spotify to be able to create a playlist of recommended tracks, rather than whole albums.

We have this feature, but it's somewhat hidden:

Select any track in Spotify, then drag and drop it onto the Last.fm app icon, and it will generate a playlist of recommended tracks for you, based on the seed track.

• Holy cow! Now make that recommended track list longer than only 20 tracks, please. ;-)

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.