API sometimes returns empty results

• API sometimes returns empty results

I'm making calls to the geo api to determine the list of weeks for which data for a given city is available. Sometimes when I make these calls I get empty results. Any idea why?

You might be able to re-create the problem by trying the same thing as me. Here's an example call taken directly from the api documentation:

http://ws.audioscrobbler.com/2.0/?method=geo.getmetroweeklychartlist&api_key=b25b959554ed76058ac220b7b2e0a026

If you paste that into your browswer's address bar, you might get the correct results. However, if you try refreshing that page, you might get empty results.

I noticed this problem when running code that worked fine a few months ago. Has something changed? Could this be related to a rate limit? Note that in the above example I'm using the api key used in the example, and the problem occurs consistently for me regardless of whether I refresh quickly or slowly. This indicates that it's not a rate-limit problem related to my account, but I'm not sure what's going on so maybe it's related to rate-limiting after all.

• tburny said...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 24 Apr 2012, 10:46
    I can confirm that. Really weird!

Combo.fm: Combine your favourite radio stations! | My Blog | scala-lastfmapi | Cache2k - A high performance Java in-memory cache
    P.S.: Do not click here
    throw new PokemonException(); //Gotta catch 'em all
    My forum post reflects my personal opinion :)
    • snyde1 said...
    • Subscriber
    • 25 Apr 2012, 03:45
    Can't confirm this case, but I have had calls time out and (as I recall) return blanks.

Improve your view of Last.fm - add some User Scripts.
    Did I hear that right? Mondegreens - for the misheard word. Like Odds? Can't get better than Even Odds!

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
    • tburny said...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 25 Apr 2012, 10:00
    You have to press F5 a few times fast in a row

Combo.fm: Combine your favourite radio stations! | My Blog | scala-lastfmapi | Cache2k - A high performance Java in-memory cache
  • I am still running into this problem when I use my own API Key.

I suspect I'm making too many requests too quickly. In this case it's fair for last.fm to send me empty responses, however the "status" of these responses should not be "ok". The response should indicate that there was an error at least, and ideally it would say that I was making too many requests, and indicate the rate limit.

By the way, what is the rate limit?

• snyde1 said...
    • Subscriber
    • 26 Apr 2012, 05:03
    tburny said:
    You have to press F5 a few times fast in a row
    The page just refreshes for me.

Improve your view of Last.fm - add some User Scripts.
    Did I hear that right? Mondegreens - for the misheard word. Like Odds? Can't get better than Even Odds!

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
  • Bump.

This problem does seem to have gone away for now, but still there is no explanation for it, and it might come back to break things later.

What is the rate limit on the API--exactly how is it calculated? Earlier, I was able to get away with a few hundred thousand requests a day, spaced out evenly (approx 3/second). Is that rate fine?

• tburny said...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 29 Aug 2012, 17:10
    Does this problem still exist?

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.