can last.fm finally become a legit social networking site?

• can last.fm finally become a legit social networking site?

I posted this in the shoutbox, but it will eventually get bumped, so I wanted to start a new thread.

I have a fundamental disagreement with the redesigned artist page because it seems to deemphasize last.fm as a music based social networking site, which is absurd--what else is this place if not that? I'm not interested in rearrangements of often incomplete or incorrect artist data that I can get more reliably on other sites, I'm interested in last.fm finally becoming a legitimate social networking site with functionality to match. CBS, please listen: giant youtube videos are NOT the way to go here. I know this is principally an aesthetic change and not an alteration to content/programming, but the redesign could serve to emphasize existing social networking functionality to prep users for eventual additions made to the back end. how can last.fm rework its existing content so that contributing to group forums, for example, is more inviting? those are the kind of changes I believe this site really needs, not giant pictures and overly large fonts.

does anyone else feel this way?

imagine it will be the present. what do you do when you were there?
    • K1MO said...
    • User
    • 18 Jul 2012, 16:42
    amen

• jukevox said...
    • Alumni
    • 18 Jul 2012, 17:27

Fitting into the social fabric of the web

Hey Eastern,

The points you are making about the social nature of Last.fm are important to us and they are top of mind as we work out what's next on our list of things we want to improve about Last.fm. The community here on the forums and the people who edit our wikis, tag their favorite artists and scrobble every day are the heart of our services.

There is no question that we want Last.fm to be more "social" and to be well integrated into the social fabric of the web. What that means is the subject of intense debate with the team here at Last.fm and with interactive designers in general.

We're planning a new set of social features right now and this will be our focus through the end of the year. How Last.fm works with other social networks, with our existing community and how it welcomes new people into that community. We think this stuff is massively important.

The focus of our first round of changes to our artist pages was around usability and cleaning up these pages for casual users (about 80% of people who visit them) but we know that these pages also need to work for the people who log in daily and who use the social features more heavily.

It's a balancing act and you can expect the next few rounds of design changes to focus more on social features on the site and on the other social networks that you choose to connect with. We want you to be able to share the music you discover in smarter ways and in ways that give you complete control of what you share.

So stay tuned and know that we're listening to the feedback here and we'll evolve in ways that we hope will make our community happy.

• makit0 said...
    • User
    • 18 Jul 2012, 21:31
    Make a points/badge system like foursquare. ex: "You're the first of your friends who scrobbled <Artist>. +5pts" or "This is your scrobble #1000 + 10 pts."

• alacy52 said...
    • User
    • 19 Jul 2012, 03:17
    In terms of becoming more integrated, I think it would be a good move for Last.fm to have some sort of timeline app for Facebook similar to what Spotify has. Though hopefully you'll be able to come up with ways to make it better than what's there already. I'm not a particularly creative type, so I'll leave it to others to figure out how it could be made better.

• i agree with the OP, but completely disagree about a points/badge system like makit0 suggested. that is often faulty and distracting. if there could be an option to not have it enabled, then...maybe.

• I see no point of improving the design, when there's been numerous issues and bugs for years (!), that still haven't been fixed and I believe will not be fixed when the new Beta lunches as a site. Can anyone from the Staff please talk about that?

• Ugh, let's not add any points or badges to last.fm, listening to music isn't a competition.

• ComaWish said:
    Ugh, let's not add any points or badges to last.fm, listening to music isn't a competition.

This. Top listeners is bad enough.

• Ant718 said...
    • User
    • 20 Jul 2012, 04:45
    leighdobson said:
    ComaWish said:
    Ugh, let's not add any points or badges to last.fm, listening to music isn't a competition.

This. Top listeners is bad enough.

^^^ That, above! ^^^

• Roseace said...
    • User
    • 22 Jul 2012, 16:38
    The way I see it is that the new design makes it harder to use some social features as ``listening right now´´ and even the shoutbox, since bigger pictures and graphs only make you scroll even more time to get to the shouts.
    And, as ``easterntrees´´ said the major point and where last.fm actually outbanks any other musical web is in the social feature.
    Hope you do well with the social improvements, but I certainly wouldnt forget about them.

• Great input from easterntrees! I don't know which approach would have a huge social-network impact on Last.fm. But there is no doubt it has to be something new and creative.

There is no need for another web 2.x clone. Don't try to copy existing formula's.
    Opening the Beta-view i thought: FB slash Pinterfest slash YT slash W8 Metro, which in my opinion is not a good sign.

It might work on "brainwashed interweb zombies", but even those will get bored by more of same of the same.

/edit:
    swarmsea also makes a very solid point. Fix Bugs first before you start to create new ones.

♪ This world could be fair,
    . . . if we all turn into fairies ♫

But it wouldn't be very hip when eveybody became a hipster.
    • tapenoon said...
    • Subscriber
    • 22 Jul 2012, 22:26
    as with every change it will probably take some getting used to however there are a couple of things that i don't like on principle:

- big images (goes for artists' main pics as well as album covers)
    - large fonts

i like to see as many things as possible at a glance when visiting a page which is made difficult when using large fonts / big images. that's the practical thing. also i think it looks prettier and tidier.

- the listening trend should be on the right along with friends who listen to / listening now and top listeners.
    - smaller font in the shoutbox. (in our profile pages too maybe?)

- i like the way our new profile pages look though (two columns / navigation links on the top right). just one little thing: can you please make our username and/or avatar clickable again?

that's it for now.
    thanks for listening team

Taxicab movies in our heads and cigarettes
  • hey, Jukevox. thanks a lot for the detailed reponse to my initial post.

I notice you make several references to integrating last.fm with other social networking sites in the future. I have a feeling that this will mean some type of content synthesis with facebook, which is fine and expected, but I'm certain I'm not alone in asking you please not ever to require users to have a FB account in order to use any of last.fm's features, new or old. I don't have one and don't want one.

I think what my original post was concerned with--something that, unfortunately, you didn't address in your response--is that the new page redesigns seem to depreciate the social networking features to the bottom of pages (and, in the case of a few minor elements, eliminate them entirely). please do not do this. I can listen to music on my own, without scrobble counts, shoutboxes, groups, etc.--but I choose to go for the last.fm experience because if I'm going to meet and interact with strangers online, it's going to be over music. there are MANY others just like me in this regard, much more than just 20% of users of the site.

I hope you, the rest of the last.fm staff, and CBS see the number of responses to this thread as an indication that some of us are interested in last.fm becoming significantly more functional as a social networking experience, perhaps even as their primary presence in that arena.

imagine it will be the present. what do you do when you were there?
Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.