• Data Usage

Just curious to know, if I used the Last.fm radio over my 3G connection, how quickly would I use up my 1gb data allowance?

• With the "High Quality Audio" option turned off, our music is streamed at 64kbit/sec, which works out to about 30MB / hour (rounded up to account for loading the artwork, metadata, etc.). You would use up your 1GB data allowance in about 30 hours.

With the "High Quality Audio" option enabled, our music is streamed at 128kbit/sec, which works out to about 60MB / hour (rounded up to account for loading the artwork, metadata, etc.). You would use up your 1GB data allowance in about 15 hours.

• Re: Data Usage

dforever said:
    Just curious to know, if I used the Last.fm radio over my 3G connection, how quickly would I use up my 1gb data allowance?

What service do you have that only allows 1gb??

Open your closed mind and close your open mouth.
  • Re: Re: Data Usage

dumbestcrayon said:
    dforever said:

What service do you have that only allows 1gb??

he's from UK, most people doesn't have unlimited data over there (they have tiered level data plans).

• Got it in one.

TBH 1GB should be more than enough for most phones I would have thought, until you bring in streaming media.

• I have "unlimited" mobile broadband

which means they expect you to use less than a GB per month. Even when I hammered the streaming services it came in at a little over a GB, and because it's "unlimited" it means they don't bill you for the extra, but just complain if you "abuse" the plan.

On the bright side, mobile broadband is only £5 and unofficially includes tethering.

Edit: Google gives over 18 hours for a 128 stream and obviously twice that for a 64.

• Nothing burns through the data like listening to streaming audio all day at work. I'm averaging 3-4 GB a month on my Droid. =)

• westuh said...
    • User
    • 16 Apr 2010, 16:21
    Oh god, if it wasnt for unlimited data, id be screwed. I use pandora/internet/tethering all day every day.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.