Release Notes (updated 7/9/2012)

• Release Notes (updated 7/9/2012)

I've consolidated all the release announcements into one sticky thread to make it easier to keep track of what's new. Below are all the release notes for every version of the app released so far.

• Fix an issue with streaming on Android 2.x and below

• Streaming improvements for various devices
    • Scrobbling fixes for LG devices
    • Less data use during scrobbling
    • Display the artist name on the Ice Cream Sandwich lock screen
    • Expandable notifications for Jelly Bean devices
    • Various bug fixes

• Improved calendar syncing on Android 4.x
    • Various crashes fixed

• Enable radio features on certain Wi-Fi MP3 players
    • Various crashes fixed

• Saving event attendance status now works on Android 4.0
    • User signups now work on Android 4.0
    • Fix the radio button for artists with an apostrophe in their name
    • Various crashes fixed

• Fix missing text on the Top Albums chart
    • Fix a missing permission that caused the bug reporter to stop working
    • Various bug fixes

• Fix a bug that prevent the scrobbler from sending scrobbles

• Fix various 'force close' messages
    • Fix a bug where music could start playing unexpectedly after a notification sound
    • Misc. bug fixes

• Fix a crash during scrobbling
    • Fix the playback notification disappearing
    • Various bug fixes

• Fix a crash when trying to access the Settings screen

• Lockscreen music controls / artwork on Android 4.0
    • Calendar syncing on Android 4.0
    • Fix streaming on Android 3.0 (Honeycomb)
    • Fancy new playback notification
    • Improved scrobbling support for Google Music
    • Various bug fixes

• Fix for scrobbling Google Music Beta version 3.0.1

• Fix an issue where the widget's action button wouldn't work properly when radio is paused
    • Fix an issue where certain track names could cause scrobbling to stop working
    • Various bug fixes

• Fix an issue where radio could unexpectedly resume after a call ended on older versions of Android
    • Various bug fixes

• Fix a crash that could occur when certain versions of the standard Android media player are installed
    • Fix an issue where the skip button wouldn't work while paused

• Track context when listening to recommendations and friends radio
    • Pause / resume
    • Improved streaming performance
    • Various bug fixes and performance enhancements

• Support for scrobbling on Honeycomb tablets
    • Updated Finnish translation provided by Patrik Selin
    • Various bug fixes

• Fix a force close issue on Android 1.5
    • Various bug fixes

• High resolution graphics
    • Many force close bugs have been fixed

• Fix a force close bug on Android 1.5 / 1.6

• Fix playback screen so it displays correctly on the Dell Streak
    • Improved search results
    • Finnish translation provided by Patrik Selin
    • Radio free trial support for non-subscribers in the US, UK, and Germany

• Fix a bug where banned tracks would be scrobbled

• Support for scrobbling on Android 2.3 (Gingerbread)
    • Improved support for tablet devices

• Fix a crash when starting a station from the artist bio page
    • Fix the Last.fm icon appearing the wrong size in the Accounts & Sync preferences
    • Hide the voice search button if voice search isn't available on the device

• My Mix Radio
    • Notifications about upcoming changes to Last.fm's streaming services
    • Workaround for DoubleTwist's scrobbling bug
    • Preference to keep screen on during playback
    • Misc. bug fixes

• Add a search button to the search tab for custom keyboards that don't properly display the Enter key
    • Additional voice commands for Froyo users: "Listen to my library," "Listen to my recommendations," "Listen to my loved tracks," and "Listen to my neighborhood"
    • Fix a bug where the artist search results would point to the entered text instead of the actual result
    • Add a "ChangeLog" link to the Preferences screen
    • Temporarily disable StageFright on Froyo during playback to improve performance (rooted devices only)

• D'oh! Fix another force close bug on launch.

• Support for tagging artists
    • Fix a force close when launching the app on CyanogenMod 4.x

• Resolve an issue where the track would skip when changing orientation
    • Import the old scrobble cache into the new database
    • Last.fm scrobbling is now available to worldwide, while radio is still restricted only to users in US, UK, and Germany.

• Resolve an issue that caused the CPU to hang on certain devices

• Resolve an issue where radio was unavailable on LG Ally handsets
    • Hardware keyboards function correctly on the tag activity

• Global Search integration (enable through Settings > Search > Searchable Items)
    • New search tab with voice support for searching artists, tags, and users
    • Look up bios for any artist
    • View recommended artists
    • Double-click the headset button to skip tracks
    • Search for artists from the Android media player context menu
    • Previous track button on the widget when displaying local media info
    • Support for buying tickets from the event details view
    • Various bug fixes

• Fix for scrobbling the native media player on Froyo
    • Fix a bug where an incoming alert sound would cause the radio volume to stay quiet on Froyo
    • Misc. bug fixes

• Fix phone call interruption handling on pre-Froyo
    • Fix a bug where the widget could stop refreshing during playback
    • Misc. bug fixes

• Support for Android 2.2 (Froyo)
    • Increase the scrobble cache maximum capacity to 1000 tracks
    • Last.fm artist pages and profile pages can now be opened in the Last.fm app
    • Misc. bug fixes

• Fix 'Now Playing' notifications
    • Cache scrobbles when background data is turned off
    • Use Wi-Fi instead of GPS if available to determine user's location when searching for nearby events

• Vanquish the evil scrobble-eating monster

• Provide accessibility hints for our player control buttons
    • Resolve an issue where music could continue to play after pressing the stop button
    • Resolve several force close bugs

• New hi-res launcher and notification icons for Android 2.x by IsaacWaller
    • New Events tab to view your upcoming events, recommended events, and nearby events using GPS
    • Widget now displays track info for music played in the built-in Android and HTC music players
    • Widget buttons will now act on local media player tracks
    • Replace our custom tabs with standard Android tabs
    • Don't offer to sync contacts on SenseUI-based devices, as HTC's contacts app doesn't support custom contact fields
    • Improve resuming of stations after a phone call on CDMA networks
    • Support for scrobbling apps that use the ScrobbleDroid and Simple Last.fm Scrobbler APIs
    • Misc. bug fixes

• Resolve an issue where the "Not Enough Content" message wouldn't be displayed when a station ran out of tracks
    • Resolve an issue where contacts that have been manually combined would get split up again during sync

• Resolve an issue where the widget buttons would stop responding
    • Fix links to the Amazon MP3 store on the Motorola Droid
    • Replace the "Buffering" popup with a secondary progress bar
    • Resolve an issue where the player could get stuck in a buffering state

• Resolve an issue that could cause songs to stop playing and the track information to disappear
    • Add a preference to toggle handling of headset controls

• Style the gear popup menu on the widget
    • Increase number of recent stations displayed to 10
    • Support for the wired headset play/pause button
    • The app will no longer wake up when your network connection changes. Instead, if scrobbles are cached, the app will wake up hourly. Cached scrobbles will also be sent immediately when launching the app from the launcher icon.
    • Add the app version number , terms of service, and privacy policy to the preference screen
    • The love button in the app will now glow if a track is already loved
    • Ignore Bluetooth “previous track” button presses during playback to avoid starting the built-in player on top of the Last.fm radio
    • Automatically stop the built-in media player when starting a Last.fm radio station
    • Adjustable scrobble point
    • The widget buttons should be more responsive
    • Android 2.x contacts integration: Android 2.x users can now view their friends activity and taste-o-meter compatibility from your address book. You can also easily access a friend's Last.fm profile from the QuickContact popup, and view a Last.fm friend's contact info on the new QuickContact avatar page on the profile screen. Contacts syncing can be enabled / disabled from the "Accounts & Sync" settings screen on your Android device. There are also various options to control what data is displayed in your address book in the Last.fm app's settings.
    • Android 2.x account integration: your Last.fm credentials are now stored in the Android account database. Third party apps will now be able to request access to your Last.fm profile without requiring you to enter your password. Your Last.fm password is not shared with the third party app and we will prompt you before allowing an app to access your Last.fm profile.

• Adjust the landscape layout to fit properly on the Nexus One
    • Sort the friends list alphabetically
    • Make sure loving/banning a radio track still works with scrobbling turned off
    • Launch the profile activity when pressing the gear button on the widget while radio isn't playing
    • Add a preference to enable/disable stopping the radio player when disconnecting a headset
    • Prevent the bug reporter dialog from disappearing when switching orientation or sliding the keyboard out
    • Clear the scrobbler notification when disabling scrobbling
    • Fix the amazon links so they work in the new version of Amazon's mp3 store app
    • Fix a bug where the player could stop playing in the middle of a song
    • Improve detection of duplicate tracks so playing the same song sequentially should still be scrobbled

• Resolves a crash when sharing tracks on Android 1.5

• Resolves an issue where tracks would skip after 10 seconds on Android 2.0.
    • Stop the radio player when unplugging the headphones
    • Display the current track info on OpenWatch-compatible bluetooth watches.

• Resolves an issue where the "Now Scrobbling" notification would remain in the notification tray on Android 2.0 after a song ended.

• Addresses an issue Droid users are experiencing with scrolling the radio station list

• Display 3 similar artists below each artist / tag search result entry so users have an idea of what to expect from each station
    • Love / Ban tracks from the Recently Played and Top Tracks charts
    • German localization provided by André Twupack
    • Support for stopping / skipping tracks via the Bluetooth headset buttons provided by Johannes Rudolph
    • Fix a bug where the radio station list would stop responding to the touch screen after starting a station on Android 2.0
    • Fix a bug where the player could get stuck buffering on Android 2.0

We've released a minor update to the Android app that adds support for QVGA devices such as HTC Tattoo and WXVGA devices such as the Motorola Droid. There are also some minor bug fixes, and some fancy new icons.

• You can now share tracks with 3rd party apps, such as Messaging, Facebook, Gmail, etc.
    • New bug reporter located in the preferences menu that will email us your log files to help troubleshoot issues
    • Cache the album art when flipping between portrait and landscape
    • Fix a bug where the artists weren't being displayed on the Recently Played chart
    • Fix a bug where running out of content in the current station would cause the current track to stop half-way through
    • Misc. bug fixes and performance improvements

• Recent Stations now sync with the website
    • New preference options to enable/disable real-time scrobbling and sending scrobbles only over Wi-Fi
    • Improved startup time of the app and widget
    • Fix a bug where the player could start playing randomly
    • Misc. bug fixes

• Scrobbles are properly cached when your network connection is disconnected
    • The scrobble toggle in the preferences now properly disables the scrobbler if you prefer to use Scrobbledroid or another scrobbler
    • Support for scrobbling the HTC Hero media player
    • Display a popup alert when tagging a track loved/banned from the widget
    • Skip to the next track after banning a track through the widget
    • Misc. crashes in the widget and scrobbler have been fixed

• Prebuffering of next track to reduce delay
    • 64Kbps streaming option
    • Desktop Widget to allow quick skip / love / ban
    • Native Media Player scrobbling

• Crash fixes
    • Most activity states are saved when changing orientation and changing tasks
    • Better radio error handling
    • Better resilience when playing in the background
    • Adjust music volume at all times on the radio player activity
    • Fade the music back in after receiving a call
    • Some UI tweaks

Edited by c99koder on 10 Jul 2012, 01:20
  • Headset play/pause button

The update sounds good, but maybe you could add a settings option to deactivate that feature? My headset is broken and can send several button presses a second. Perhaps others have the same problem too (the headset HTC supplied with my Magic is rubbish, the cable broke after 2 months where other cables usually break after a year or three).

• Hi-Res Icon

Can you guys add a Hi-Res Icon for those of us with Droids and Nexus Ones?

• cY2k said...
    • User
    • 23 Feb 2010, 17:47

love the app

just wanted to say thanks!

• Re: Headset play/pause button

kadajawi said:
    The update sounds good, but maybe you could add a settings option to deactivate that feature? My headset is broken and can send several button presses a second. Perhaps others have the same problem too (the headset HTC supplied with my Magic is rubbish, the cable broke after 2 months where other cables usually break after a year or three).
    I'll include a preference toggle for this in the next update, however be aware that the built-in media player will still handle the headset button, and may start playing on top of Last.fm radio.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 23 Feb 2010, 20:17
    awesome update guys!!!

one thing -> my contact pics got replaced by those from last.fm
    i hope this is not intentional (dunno if Android has an option to choose which pic should be displayed) but if it's possible, the best way would be not to overwrite existing contact pictures. only add a picture from last.fm profile, if the contact doesn't have a pic already (from google contact / facebook) thx :)

• orbanbalage said:
    one thing -> my contact pics got replaced by those from last.fm
    i hope this is not intentional (dunno if Android has an option to choose which pic should be displayed) but if it's possible, the best way would be not to overwrite existing contact pictures. only add a picture from last.fm profile, if the contact doesn't have a pic already (from google contact / facebook) thx :)
    You can disable syncing of avatars from our app's preferences, and then Android should revert back to displaying the Facebook or Google pictures.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 23 Feb 2010, 22:31
    Unsure of the direct cause, but I've noticed what sounds like small variations in playback speed with the last.fm app; Songs occasionally play slightly faster for a few seconds, with a noticeable up-pitch when it does. I'll give 1.4.1 a go though to see if this changes.

• Great update!!

Just want to say thanks for keep on working on it.

Cheers.

• I would also love a hi-res icon.

A hi-res icon is needed (actually, all your graphics are low-res and the app looks blurry.) Otherwise, great app!

• Outstanding additions!

This application has just made LastFM even more awesome. The contacts support is so convenient and hands-down awesome!

Thanks for the great work!

• Re: Re: Headset play/pause button

c99koder sagte:
    I'll include a preference toggle for this in the next update, however be aware that the built-in media player will still handle the headset button, and may start playing on top of Last.fm radio.

Thanks, that's great :) Yes, I have removed all music files from the SD card to prevent that. It starts but does nothing.

• gemilov said...
    • User
    • 23 Mar 2010, 20:16

Larger fonts for currently played Artist and Song

Love the app! I've been using it a lot on iPhone, now on Android.

It would be really nice to show title and artist of the currently played track with larger fonts. There is enough real estate on the android. It actually looks kind of empty between the text and the artwork. Same on the iPhone - I would love to see larger font - maybe as an option.

You should remember hat these new devices and application are used not only by younger folks, but by many in their 40s and 50s. They need to put reading glasses just to see what song is playing currently.

• Re: Larger fonts for currently played Artist and Song

gemilov said:
    Love the app! I've been using it a lot on iPhone, now on Android.

It would be really nice to show title and artist of the currently played track with larger fonts. There is enough real estate on the android. It actually looks kind of empty between the text and the artwork. Same on the iPhone - I would love to see larger font - maybe as an option.

You should remember hat these new devices and application are used not only by younger folks, but by many in their 40s and 50s. They need to put reading glasses just to see what song is playing currently.
    We appreciate the feedback, but please use the Feature Requests/Suggestions topic so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

• Thanks!

Just wanted to say thanks for the contacts sync fix! This happened to me once or twice and I wasn't sure what had caused it exactly, but I definitely appreciate the update.

I have to say, this is really one of the best supported aps available!

• T0Rtur3 said...
    • User
    • 14 Apr 2010, 13:13
    I still have the skipping issue on the latest build of the app, running on a motorola droid, cell data, max bars, headphones, both pre and post 2.1. Playing Pandora app I get no skipping at all.

Skipping doesn't appear to be at any specific time, but it happen enough on each song that it definitely makes it annoying to the point i turn it off after the first song.

• Availability on all android markets? Not only selcted countries like Germany etc.

When will the app be available for Switzerland?

• Awesome update

Thank you c99 and anyone else working on this project. It truly is the best mobile streaming app I've ever used.

Also, its nice to see the developers interact with the users and implement ideas from the users.

Thanks for the great app, and thanks for the great update.

• Hubwood said...
    • User
    • 15 Apr 2010, 09:14

Kills/freezes my HTC Hero (last.fm 1.5.0)

Hey Guys,

it seems that when I listen to Music with my HTC Hero Music Player,
    after a while my HTC Hero totally shuts down and I have to reboot it... this happens since I updated to 1.5.0 :/

Any Ideas? Anyone else got this Problem?

• 1.5.0 update

Thanks for supporting Android! I use Last.fm during my commute. The compression is a bit thick but the sheer variety of artists beats commercial radio hands down. Keep up the great work!

• 1.5.0 update on HTC Magic fails to play

Since 1.5.0 update, HTC Magic device no longer streams, loads details and artwork but song is not played.. Skips to next track, loads details and fails and so on..

• vbler said...
    • User
    • 22 Apr 2010, 17:10
    great on my htc tattoo

• Loving this app and you just keep making it better. Thanks!

• Adding the other application's APIs is amazing(!), now I don't have to install their junk :)

Works great (UK Moto Milestone 2.1)

• mixzing

can we get last.fm to scrobble support this music player?

This is all going to end very badly
Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.