John Zorn: Femina [#7377]

• John Zorn: Femina [#7377]

Structured as a colorful tribute to women in the Arts, Femina is a triumphant return to the file card technique that has produced some of Zorn’s most shockingly original compositions. Much like an aural film, the music jumps from scene to scene with breathtaking precision, following its own peculiar logic. Hildegard von Bingen, Meredith Monk, Simone de Beauvoir, Frida Kahlo, Madame Blavatsky, Isadora Duncan, Hélène Cixous, Gertrude Stein, Abe Sada, Sylvia Plath, Louise Bourgeois, Margaret Mead, Loie Fuller, Dorothy Parker, Yoko Ono and the moon goddess En Hedu’Anna are just a few of the figures who are referenced, reflected and summoned in this soulful and exhilarating tribute to some of the greatest hearts and minds that ever lived. Featuring an all-woman band of some of the downtown scene’s most creative and talented musicians, Femina is one of Zorn’s deepest and most profoundly beautiful creations. Unique packaging contains artwork and a booklet of images by Kiki Smith, one of the world’s greatest and most important art visionaries.

And check this page: http://avant.blog.hu

• I expect a lot from this. I definetly want this to be my album of the year (which at the moment would be Monoliths & Dimensions, the album that made me apprecciate Sunn 0))) ) and hope it becomes a real highlight in Zorn's body of work.

With Sylvie Courvoisier and Ikue Mori involved this should be possible.

There was a snippet from Femina on the Evening Music Episode with John as guest.
    About 27 minutes in John starts explaining what file card compositions are and 32 minutes in the snippet starts. Sounds great.
    Here is the link, just click on "listen to the whole show"

• It arrived today.
    Now I'd just love to get a tracklist. :D

• Here it is ! :D

Femina tracklist: Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3
    Part 4
    Samples: http://www.amazon.com/Femina-John-Zorn/dp/B002IJA6DW

• I acutally tagged them as
    Femina I
    Femina II
    Femina III
    and Femina IV

and the tzadik page says:

1.Femina―part one
    2.Femina―part two
    3.Femina―part three
    4.Femina―end titles

And I'll change my tags to that. Tzadik page = correct tags

• any more feedback on this? It is on my wish list.... wondering how it compares to others of his....

When one is unable to love oneself, one cannot love another. This is what separates us from one another. A void in the heart is a void in society....An ever-increasing gap between human individuals.
  • [spam]

[spam]

"Of course it doesn't taste good, it's just been in your ass!"- Sutcliffe Jugend
    Edited by hjbardenhagen on 20 Dec 2010, 07:37
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 16 Oct 2010, 18:34
    incredible album.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.