New album 'Ys' out November 14

Track list:

1. Emily - 12:07
    2. Monkey & Bear - 09:29
    3. Sawdust & Diamonds - 09:54
    4. Only Skin - 16:53
    5. Cosmia - 07:15

Blurb from brooklynvegan.com:

Drag City is set to release the new album from Joanna Newsom, Ys (pronounced ‘eees’), available nationwide on November 14, 2006. It’s been two-and-a-half years since Joanna’s Drag City debut, The Milk-Eyed Mender, captured the hearts of fans and critics with its lilting harp and vocal majesty. On Ys, Joanna has recorded five (yup, 5!) songs clocking in at fifty-five minutes. The album was recorded with Steve Albini, mixed with Jim O’Rourke, and features orchestral arrangements from the legendary Van Dyke Parks.

On Ys, you will hear a dream collaboration between Joanna’s voice, her harp, and a full orchestra. The album is a ride that ebbs and flows in a scrumptious cacophony of layers and drama. The wide-screened beauty of Ys is due to, among other things, the all-analog production mixed to tape and mastered at Abby Road.

For the uninitiated, The Milk-Eyed Mender was voted in the top 20 albums of the year in the 2004 Village Voice “Pazz and Jop” poll. Critics far and wide praised her unusual and superior talents. Live, Joanna brings passion and drama to the stage, performing with epic spirit.

Joanna!
    Van Dyke Parks!
    Jim O'Rourke!
    Steve Albini!
    Ys!

God, I can't wait.

Need a user image? Here's lots!
  • Me neither

I've heard some live songs (Emily, Only Skin, Cosmia)
    and I think they're even better than the songs from Milk-Eyed Mender!(wich is my all-time favourite album!)

(but I don't like the cover at all) (i'm sorry)

• sxesven said...
    • User
    • 25 Aug 2006, 21:51
    I've heard a bunch of the live songs as well and I must say they sound brilliant, which makes the wait even more unbearable. If this album turns out to be better than The Milk-Eyed Mender, well, that'd be pretty incredible. It's managed to climp its way up to the fourth spot in my all time top 10 already, which is rather amazing of course - it's so incredibly good, it might just reach the number 1 spot one day.

As for the cover, it is quite peculiar, though I must say I think it's quite gorgeous.

• good news!
    Can't wait for this album comin' out! Lets hope it could be as good as [album]The Milk-Eyed Mender[/album]. I belive it will.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 31 Aug 2006, 00:15
    UGH! It will be a pain in the ass (relatively) to play songs among other songs by different artists. Why do they have to be so long? I HATE that and whether I want it or not, it will limit the times I play the album no matter how brilliant it will be. I already heard "Sawdust and diamonds" and was not much thrilled.

• yesterday i heard the new album
    and it's for sure:
    it is so so beautiful and brilliant (and even a lot better than the milk-eyed mender)

the best album ever
    for sure
    for sure

• sxesven said...
    • User
    • 1 Sep 2006, 20:58
    Yeah, I heard it was leaked already. I'm gonna try waiting though, as hard as it'll be. Better than The Milk-Eyed Mender? Omfwow. That's seriously incredible.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 1 Sep 2006, 22:19
    I wouldn't consider it better than The Milk-Eyed Mender, but it's pretty good. I still wish the songs were much shorter.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 1 Nov 2006, 01:48
    That's silly, psychicdrill. They need that time to ebb and flow and unfold. It's great art.

I downloaded it the day it leaked (I know, I know) and I think it among the most perfect albums ever recorded (and what a fitting cover, as well!). Plus, I may get to see her on the 19th! *swoons*

• bisento said...
    • User
    • 16 Nov 2006, 14:12
    This is a perfect album! Milk Eyed Mender is great and all, but nothing could prepare me for this stunning album! It is the musical equivalent of watching Jules et Jim.

boredom is the demonic pantheism
    • Thorblen said...
    • Subscriber
    • 25 Nov 2006, 17:31

"Ys", WNYC

David Garland presented Ys on November 12, on his WNYC show Spinning On Air. Those who want to listen before they buy can find it here.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 28 Nov 2006, 20:49
    It's amazing!
    Album of the year!
    And I've already bought my copy...is there different dates for USA or something?

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.