how did you come by Jeff Buckley?

• I discovered Jeff approx. 7 years ago when my friend bought Grace one night at the music store. I'd heard the name but didn't know much. We listened to it in my car on the way home. It was good but it didn't hit me...until Dream Brother. About a minute in, I had to pull over and listen closer. By the time the song was over, we both looked at each other speechless. We played the entire CD over again, not saying a word.

PS: That Katatonia cover does rock.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 27 May 2007, 11:38
    I first heard Jeff Buckley when I was about 8 on a compilation CD - with "Hallelujah," of course. That song struck me then, even aged eight,- but it wasn't until I found out that some of my favorite bands - muse, radiohead and others were particularly influenced by him. I then found out that a song I'd heard by Jamie Cullum was written by him "Lover..." Then, my great friend Daniel (fatdanielskinny) said - "you need to get grace," and my curiosity finally got the better of me. I now have his whole discography except for "Sketches.." and I have to say Jeff's music is the best discovery i've made in the last few years. My favorite album has to be Live at Sin-é for its jokes and stripped down, pure sound.

• my brother told me i should look into his music about 4 years ago. his wife had the 'grace' cassette and gave it to me.
    then i downloaded the whole album plus 'sketches...' to my computer.

BEX© does not cause cancer in laboratory animals.
  • I discovered him this year actually.. :\
    I listened to one of his songs here at Last-fm and never stopped.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 4 Jun 2007, 04:56
    Jeff came into my life about 2 years ago; I was working at Barnes & Noble, as a music slave, when a co-worker put Grace on her "picks shelf." Naturally, I was drawn to his beauty and quickly asked about him. She told me about his rendition of "Hallelujah" and his untimely death. The first time listening to his voice, I'd never felt such bliss and broken-heartedness at the same time. I listened to Grace for 6 months straight. Jeff is the love of my life ;-)

• sotoxic said...
    • User
    • 5 Jun 2007, 04:03
    actually, bexestabueno introduced me like... a month or so ago. so i'm a new fan. i did hear of the name before, just never his music. he's freaking awesome. :)

• cruz992 said...
    • User
    • 8 Jun 2007, 07:19
    I actually got a bootleg tape of the St. Ann's Tim Buckley Tribute Show not long after it happened, but the show was so boring/recording wasn't so good, so I never really listened to it.
    I later read a Bob Mould interview in Spin where he tipped Jeff as an up and coming unsigned act. I got Live at Sine-E when it came out and saw Jeff on a small solo tour here in SF. I don't think I loved his music yet, but it was cool to know about him...especially with the Tim Buckley link.
    Of course Grace came out a little while after, and it knocked me out.
    Here is a link to a journal entry I wrote about him the other day:

http://www.last.fm/user/cruz992/journal/2007/06/6/443757/

• I was listening to Jamie Cullem's version of Lover...I fell in love with the lyrics and was curious to hear the original. I bought Grace and the album blew me away. I did some research on Jeff and was saddened to learn about his death...another great artist taken away from us

• I came across him by accident. I was listening to the first 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' compilation CD, and on it was a cover of said song by the Jeff Healey Band. For some reason I looked up Jeff Buckley in iTunes, heard Hallelujah and had to download it. I survived off that one song for about a week, then had to buy the whole album. That was about three or four years ago, and I've recently fallen back in love with it. I still can't get over how amazing his only album is; imagine what he might have gone on to achieve.

Make Cheese Not War
  • Indirectly

I had previously heard of his dad, Tim Buckley, and many remarks about Jeff's vocal similarities but not really taken much interest.

I absolutely love the song, "Everybody here wants you" having heard it performed by Lewis Taylor on his self titled debut album, until a close friend said, "nah....you should hear the original!!...", and promptly went and made me a Jeff compilation on minidisc, including the above mentioned tune.

What a difference!! Pure devastating emotion poured out of the man. The Lewis Taylor version now for me only counts merely as an homage, an honourable mention.

This was several years after the releases of "Sketches For My Sweetheart The Drunk" and "Grace". Fearing that either of these would make it to the "no longer issued" category having seen them on sale I now copies of both, and also "Live in Chicago".

"....do i have to tell the story of a thousand rainy days since we first met..."
    <p>
  • I first found out `bout Jeff when I first heared Jamie Cullum sings Lover,you should... I fell in love for the first time...and still-I am in love :)

• I will actualy admit that the first time i heard Jeff was when i was watching The OC ...
    They play hallelujah twice in series one and i fell in love with it almost as soon as i heard it
    I started getting more songs once id heard it
    i thought his voice was amazing :)

• when I was working as a programmer and at the same time I was able to download some music (... in the begining napster thing...) So I was asking I can download all the music I want now!! and somehow the name of Jeff Buckley was mention to me... or I read it or whatever...

his music is haunting

• I came across Jeff at the age of 14 when a friend of my brothers downloaded Kazaa for me and downloaded Eternal Life and Hallelujah to test it out.

Turned out that the guy proclaimed undying sexual desire for me a few weeks later.....

We don't speak much now, cause he's a bit of a perve, but I will forever be grateful to the man who introduced me to Jeff Buckley.

I am the Carpet King, I can mark down anything...
  • I came across Jeff at the age of 14 when a friend of my brothers downloaded Kazaa for me and downloaded Eternal Life and Hallelujah to test it out.

Turned out that the guy proclaimed undying sexual desire for me a few weeks later.....

We don't speak much now, cause he's a bit of a perve, but I will forever be grateful to the man who introduced me to Jeff Buckley.

• woooh apologies for the multiple posts

• dieanja said...
    • User
    • 6 Jul 2007, 00:02
    Dear Guys! You see, it cannot work - trying to seduce women with singers that are actually a lot hotter than you are! Zsss...

Das Gute missfällt uns, wenn wir ihm nicht gewachsen sind.
    We dislike the good if we're not up to it.
    (Nietzsche)
  • hahahahahaha

yeah.... the pervy guy was really hot though, kind of a more delicate kurt cobain...

but jeff was hotter.....definitely

• sraets said...
    • User
    • 8 Jul 2007, 20:34
    I heard "Forget Her" last week on our local FM 94.9 station here in San Diego, at about 2 AM, driving home from the hospital to pick up supplies after my wife gave birth to our first son. The song practically reduced me to tears (and almost got me in a car accident!), even though it's not very appropriate for a birth... Just the sheer emotional power I guess. When I got home I bought the original "Grace" album and the track "Forget Her".

• ER the last episode this season! I fell in love with his cover of Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen.

The magnificant mannie
  • i discovered jeff buckley in my basement. buried under rubble and dust i found "grace". Heard it once and didnt need to know anything thing about him,only wanted to hear the music. his haunting voice just clung to me.

• I randomly ran into a somewhat famous actor from the theatre in my city, with a guitar on my back some years ago, and he asked me if I was any good, and if I had a band. I told him 'yeah', and he proceeded to tell me about this project he was initiating, to rehearse and perform a full Jeff Buckley-set at the theatre. I had never heard of Jeff Buckley, and so we arranged a meeting with the band and this actor, and he handed out cd's to everyone.

The project was unfortunately put on ice due to various reasons after a few months of rehearsal.

Edited by Malamuitten on 1 Oct 2007, 11:14
  • Sadly I came discovered him on MTV, ok MTV didnt suck as much back then but anyway. Couldn't find the album here in the north of Sweden but I went to London that year and I bought the album at tower records.

It's the music that me and my current girlfriend listened to when we fell in love with eachother.

~ madtwatter
  • A friend sent me 'Last Goodbye' over msn i didn't listen to it for a couple of days, then one night decided it was time to bust it out and see what Jeff Buckley had to offer. I was blown away, then i searched him on wikipedia to find more track listings from grace to download. Then i read the date he died and i realised it was the same date 10 years after his death.
    It was weird the first time i heard a Buckley track was the anniversary of his death. . . Am still loving his music, he would have been mint to see live.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.