how did you come by Jeff Buckley?

• I first heard Jeff's "Hallelujah" about 2 years ago whille watching the season 1 finale of the OC. The song made me cry and It took me a whille to really explore jeffs other music. A few months after that I came across Last Goodbye and it was my favorite song for a whille. Then about a year after that I finally bought Grace. I skipped right over Mojo Pin because the beginning was just too eerie. At first Grace and Lover were my 2 favorite tracks. Then I got into Forget Her and So Real, Then I loved Lilac Wine. Then I finally listened to Eternal Life and it became a quick favorite. About 4 months later I finally listened to Mojo Pin Which turned out to be so beautiful. Then I really got into his music and was almost all i listened to for weeks. Then i found sketches. I Love Vancouver and Nightmares by the Sea, which is my current favorite.
    wow... lol

If youre obsessed like me BBC did a program thats about an hour long, you can download the video in parts at
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiEFP-rpfi8&search=jeff%20buckley%20bbc

• well..
    I first heard about Jeff with a friend of mine...I'm form Brazil and he's not really famous or anything 'round here.
    I started with "last goodbye" and the classical "hallelujah", and then to the rest...
    I just love him...He's one of my greatest discovers of the year, I mean, It's hard to find a relly great artist as him.... The lyrics, the sound...just unique.
    Yes, that's the word I believe that really shows what he's about.
    cheers.
    (oh, and hope it helped..*)

• Snooz said...
    • User
    • 10 Aug 2006, 15:17
    A guy with a similar taste of music introduced me to Jeff by just flinging the Grace-cd into my room as if it was a piece worthless paper. He told me that it was a pretty good album, and that the singer sadly died a few years ago. (this was about 2000).

This guy doesn't know that he started my very first obsession and addiction. I've scoured the internet for conserts, clips, tv-shows etc etc, and finally after about 4 years managed to de-obsess myself for a while.

To me almost everything I hear from JB is pure musical and mental gold.

Every day I wonder how his music would have been today, I dream that he could channel his voice and music through me. If I hear him on the radio I usually repeat inside myself: "What a loss, what a loss...":(

• chriscornell.com...a lot of those posters encouraged me to check him out.

• dieanja said...
    • User
    • 25 Feb 2007, 09:21

"The Educators"-Soundtrack

2 years ago almost to the day. I've been to the pre-premiere of "The Educators" in Paris. I was pretty exited for I hadn't seen a movie in my mothertongue (German) for a while and Daniel Brühl (lead actor, pretty popular in Germany) and the director were there, too. "Hallelujah" is played full length during the soundtrack, which was simply beautiful and melancholic. Still, I didn't know, who this was.

A few days later I was killing time in a record store, listening randomly to any kind of CD I would lay hands on. And there was this Jeff Buckley CD (never heard of him before) with a song called "Hallelujah". I thought "Could this be it?" It was. I bought it immediatly. Also because I am obsessed about exceptional voices. The only singer I was comparably addicted to was Tom Waits.

There are weeks I practically don't listen to anything else, always followed by a deep depression because this music makes me so incredibly sad: first of all, because it actually IS sad. But also, because it shakes every nerve in me. It's beautiful songs but then there is always this awkward edgy side to them, that makes it really painful to listen to. And it makes me jealous: some people just get it all - enormous voice, talent, good looks, musical family background and succes. But then, I am now as old as Jeff was, when he died and I, well I am still alive and hopefully see my unborn children grow up! So maybe, I have it all, too?!

Das Gute missfällt uns, wenn wir ihm nicht gewachsen sind.
    We dislike the good if we're not up to it.
    (Nietzsche)
    • Bayou16 said...
    • User
    • 27 Feb 2007, 14:45
    I loved him since I stole "Grace" from my sister's hands LoL I was 13/14 young and depressed =D I loved Jeff the 1st minute I've listened to his music, quite unknown in France but I'm glad He loved France :D

He helped me a lot in my life, through my hardest time and i'm thankfull for that. He still makes me cry.

• dlarar said...
    • User
    • 28 Feb 2007, 02:04
    in 1999 for the cover "nightmares by the sea", played for Katatonia, is a great song, when i knew such this song was original played for Jeff, i start to hear his (insuficient) material

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 11 Mar 2007, 04:28
    the first time i heard of him was when penelope cruz asks tom cruise in 'vanilla sky' if she would "rather hear jeff buckley or vicki carr" and then 'last goodbye' comes on at the end of the scene.

however, it wasn't for another year or so that i actually looked into him more. a friend recommended him to me based on the fact that i like elliott smith.

haha, i don't think anyone in the last.fm community is going to admit finding an artist through 'the o.c.', even if it was true ;)

• a french TV special from 1995, i saw it in 2000 and i was completely entranced
    <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zLQUdHMFpBQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zLQUdHMFpBQ"; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

• blah! sorry
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLQUdHMFpBQ
    there you go thats the link

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 17 Mar 2007, 23:29

oh jeff...

i was kind of catapulted into the discovery of jeff buckley around '03 by a good friend who played me hallelujah on acoustic guitar and sang it to me...
    i began listening to grace over and over again...only recently have i discovered the absolute gold that are his live albums.

• Through my brother. He would play Jeff constantly, and when Shrek was released I became addicted to Hallelujah. Eventually, I got my own copy of Grace, and began to try to know EVERYTHING about the man I basically worship.

I wish the the past where tangible so I could stab wildly at it.
  • In a magazine

I was reading an article in Wire magazine about Tim Buckley. Right at the end in small print it said: "Tim's son Jeff releases his debut EP on Big Cat records next week".
    YOU WHAT????!!!?????

So of course I had to go out and get it. I was pretty much floored. Managed to see him play twice too. I'm forever grateful for that.

• kemjoe said...
    • User
    • 27 Mar 2007, 05:41
    with the song dream brother. i was amazed with the sound. its definitely not from this earth..

im a reasonable man, get off my case.
  • I'm a little late with my story but I just joined, so here goes anyway...

I got into Jeff through an American penpal I had - yep, back in those pre-internet days. We used to swap cassettes of stuff we liked, and she sent me a copy of Grace. I listened to it and, because of the kind of thing I was into at the time, it didn't grip me instantly and it just lay around in my room, gathering dust for a while, until I was going on a five hour bus journey to visit a friend and grabbed a pile of cassettes for the journey, one of which was of course the Grace tape. Hearing it on headphones just blew me away, it instantly became one of my favourite albums ever.

• Helly77 said...
    • User
    • 10 Apr 2007, 02:19
    i heard "Grace " about 7 or 8 years ago on MTV2, then about 5 or 6 years ago there was a BBc special programme/documentary presented by Brad Pitt about him, Theats when i started looking at him and his music more... Since i got the album it has lived in my 5CD changer almost permanently :D

• I came across him two years ago at a party, a friend was watching "mistery White Boy" DVD, "So Real", and i hear that part "love let me sleep tonight on your couch, i remeber the smell of a fabric of your simple city dress"
    and that one when he whispers "i love you, but i'm afraid to love you".
    Since than i never stopped listening his music.

sorry about my bad english.

The more you try, the more that I appear.
  • Never heard of him until I saw the movie Heights that was released in 2005. I just happened to pick up the DVD on the off chance of seeing a good flick on a random night. The movie turned out to be great, and I loved the music throughout the entire flick, so I looked up and ordered the soundtrack. On that CD was, among many great songs, a Jeff Buckley track. I liked it, so after I discovered the wonders of iTunes a few months ago, I looked him up, and have listened to his music since.

• Dallas Green of City and Colour cited him a huge influence, so I checked him out and fell in love with his music.

• aleafLQ said...
    • User
    • 26 Apr 2007, 13:32
    I heard Hallelujah on the O.C. two or three years ago I guess.then I searched for more.his voice is amazing,songs are great..he is one of my faves.

• mat35 said...
    • User
    • 13 May 2007, 18:19
    Thank the metal band Katatonia for me. They do a pretty good cover of Nightmares By Sea, and as soon as I found out it was Buckley I bought Grace (because I couldn't find SFMSTD at the time and it was only £2... Maybe the best £2 I ever spent!

I was choking on a cornflake.
    You said have some toast instead.
  • ATD-I forum suggested i take a chance on jeff. never regretted it since...

Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 21 May 2007, 21:22
    A friend let me listen to Grace a while ago.
    I didn't think that much of it at first, but it grew on me and now I love Jeff.

• Buckley

Four years ago a drummer, friend of mine, said 'listen this guy, is dead but pretty much alive' at that time i didnt quite understood the meaning, now, im just glad that night came. Now i know the meaning of beauty.

• I got recommended Jeff Buckley by a teacher who is a good friend of mine. For some reason, after I told him I liked Nick Drake he told me that I would like Jeff Buckley (even though they don't have much to do with each other). So when I bought "Grace" I was expecting some music similar to Nick Drake's - so I was completely surprised. However, it was one of the greatest surprises ever and "Mojo Pin" just hooked me. Man - Jeff Buckley's cover of Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan's "Yeh Jo Halka Saroor Hae" is great isn't it - almost as good as the original. Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.