What Album Got You Started?

• the first jazz i ever heard must've been Frank Sinatra or the Hey Arnold! theme... but the album that really got me into it was The Next Step by Kurt Rosenwinkel... what a great guitarist... he and John Frusciante are my idols :)... and and also have seen John Scofield live was a great experience for finally start moving seriously from funk to jazz.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 7 Feb 2012, 03:36
    The first jazz album I've ever heard is Kind of Blue, and, man, it was good.

• Jazz in the city :). This is the best album consisting of the greatest jazz hits!

• The album that got me into jazz was Moanin' by Art Blakey.
    Charles Mingus closed the deal for me.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 19 Mar 2012, 20:43
    Kind of Blue definitely got me started into jazz, and A Love Supreme.

• the movie paris blue with Paul newman and Sidney poitier got me listening to jazz

cook free or die
    Can i put something delicious in your mouth
  • Like a lot of people, the first jazz album I bought was Kind of Blue (for a buck at a flea market). Next was, I believe, a Wes Montgomery compilation.

• Barcida said...
    • User
    • 20 Apr 2012, 03:19
    The Birth of the Cool - Miles Davis

• ergodos said...
    • User
    • 28 Apr 2012, 03:03

First jazz album

• cdp1193 said...
    • User
    • 14 May 2012, 22:29
    Dave Brubeck - Time out

• First Jazz Album

My first album was not an album, per se, but rather a "Best Of" compilation put out by Compact Jazz (http://www.amazon.com/Compact-Jazz-Charlie-Parker/dp/B00000475M) I received in 1992 when I was 11 years old. I listened to it often, and intently tried to "listen to the colors" as directed by a grandmother who gave the cassette to me. My love of jazz has been strong ever since.

• First jazz album I loved:
    Charles Mingus - Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus

What really got me into jazz was studying the history, getting into each period and discovering more and more stuff that I like. Because I think that, before then, I didn't really know what I was looking for. These three albums got me hooked:
    Dizzy Gillespie - Compact Jazz
    Oscar Peterson Trio - A Jazz Portrait of Frank Sinatra
    Bill Evans - Everybody Digs Bill Evans

• THE BEST.

Mingus- The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
    Davis- Birth of the cool
    Laffaro- Sunday at the Village Vanguard.
    Coltrane- Coltrane´s Sounds

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 18 Jun 2012, 21:30
    John Coltra - Blue Train

• The first album I liked and listened was > The Complete Atomic Basie from Count Basie.

• fduniho said...
    • User
    • 9 Jan 2013, 01:59
    I got into jazz when I heard Artie Shaw on the radio. So one of the first jazz CDs I bought was a collection of his music. I also got some Duke Ellington CDs. But in my early jazz collection, it is probably Amandla by Miles Davis that I enjoyed the most. A few years later, I seriously got into Keiko Matsui with No Borders.

• Blue train! Oh man, still one of my favorite albums ever

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 5 Feb 2013, 15:00
    Two: Chet Baker - Jazz Moods - Cool and Miles Davis - My Funny Valentine.

• Africa Brass

• Bitches Brew by Miles Davis

• First Jazz album I actively listened to...
    Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

Album that made me a fanatic...
    Charles Mingus - The Black Saint and The Sinner Lady

• xdymdy said...
    • User
    • 8 Aug 2013, 15:49
    First jazz albums I liked were Blues In Orbit by Duke Ellington and Synergy by Dave Weckl Band.

• I think Herbie Hancock was the trigger ; but now I'm not quite sure which record of his was the one :) And definitely A Love Supreme by Coltrane - it's impossible not to love jazz after listening to it !

• Birdy& Dizzy - Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gilespie

• kaboong said...
    • User
    • 13 Dec 2013, 09:43
    I see a whole bunch of you got started by the boss guy...seems pretty fair.

Oddly enough, it was Eddie Higgins Trio - Bewitched for me.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.