We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank

• We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank

New Modest Mouse album leaked. Opinions?
    I'm not quite sure what I think about it yet, I've been playing it on repeat over and over this weekend but it still needs more listening. "Invisible" sounds like Franz Ferdinand which is dissapointing but there are so many other songs to compensate for it. Little Motel and Fire it Up <3

• Ceux qui inventent n'ont jamais vécu.
  • I like it so far, but it hasn't totally sunk in yet. The whole thing sounds a lot more authentic than Good News did.. maybe because Jeremiah Green is back.. Brock, Judy, and Green just have amazing musical chemistry. Or maybe they're just getting more comfortable adapting their musical style into the slick production that these last two albums have landed them. Lots of great songs so far though.. Little Motel kind of reminds me of hotcha girls.. really love Spitting Venom, Parting of the Sensory, and People as Places as People..

• I think it's fantastic. Spitting Venom, favorite track.

represent
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 11 Mar 2007, 15:27
    Yeah, I really didn't like it at first but after reading some Brock interviews and more info about this one and Good News it all made a lot more sense to me. It's hard to get past the new sound and realize that it's still Brock and still Modest Mouse. At least for me. It's definitely one of the best pop/rock albums of 2007.

• kimpled said...
    • User
    • 18 Mar 2007, 02:22
    i like what i've heard so far. i've heard maybe six or seven songs? marr has really, in my opinion, changed the sound of the band.

• inawic said...
    • User
    • 20 Mar 2007, 08:30
    I love it! Bought it yesterday, have listened to it ever since. I don't listen to Franz Ferdinand, so I don't care about all the FF "sounds".

• i love modest mouse, but i think johny marr is responsible for making this new album a big piece of pop lameness, has anyone else noticed that there are a lot of songs that just sound like they have been recycled from other albums?
    I still think the song writing is good but the production just sounds like every other inde pop album thats come out in the last year or so, and johny marr doesnt have a style on guitar, he just plays really simple riffs that only make the songs seem more elementery than they acctuly are

• Johny Marr, elementary?

I got a leaked version of the album that had all the tracks on it except People as Places as People and Dashboard, but I had already grown sick of Dashboard from the single for WWDBTSES. My favorite track would have to be my name (Spitting Venom). Thank Allah I picked up tix to see 'em in Birmingham. Louisiana sold old cause HoB is shitty and small. Shame shame.

• It's the only Modest Mouse album that I don't like.

• i think its great. dont listen to it expecting lonesome crowded west or everywhere and his nasty parlour tricks. it is different, but the lyrics continue to amaze me and the music is still genious. its just different

• i like it too, good new different style.
    not the best album but a good one with new amazing songs.
    fly trapped in a jar
    little motel
    missed the boat
    people as places as people
    parting of a sensory

but moon and antartica > WWDBTSES

• Not their best work; far from it, in fact.

However, it is Modest Mouse we're talking about here, so even the fact that it is one of their lesser CD's doesn't stop it from being good.

• Teh_Zombie said:
    Not their best work; far from it, in fact.

However, it is Modest Mouse we're talking about here, so even the fact that it is one of their lesser CD's doesn't stop it from being good.

Exclaty. In my opinion this albums is better than Good News, and worst than all the others, but it's good anyway, 'cause it's modest mouse.

• I still think Isaac is a genius.

You can't have a new school without an old school. So yes, the last two albums are "a little different". They are still awesome if you give them the time.

I am not that creative of a person. Isaac is. He continues to amaze me with every new album that they come out with. I don't understand why some people are so resistant to change. If he wasn't growing as an artist and continuing to pump out new music, we'd have nothing new to listen to. I reccomend that we all just sit back, read up on the lyrics, and enjoy the show.

Just like their other works, the shit grows on you fast. And the more I dig into it, the more I love it and am amazed.

"G"

Sideways2
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 12 Mar 2008, 17:23

WORST ALBUM?

I dont understand people who are supposed music fans and can say this albume sucks. Theyy still have the modest mouse sound. Songs like "dashbord" "fire it up" "we got evrything" "fly traped in a jar" those could have been on any other mm cd evr put out. This is anouther one of those situations where mtv ruined it for every one. If it waas never on MTV evry body would have loved it. But since it wa son there peole all over are like ohh i dont like it blah blah blah. Its still a great cd and i mean GREAT, and tghey are still same band as they always where

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.