too long in exile?

• too long in exile?

seems like there's always something lyrical and poetic about the irish away from the oul' green homeland and it comes across in the music. reference van morrison and his constant references to the streets of arklow, coney island, hyndford street and on and on, or the Pogues' "fairytale of new york". Any other examples listeneres can think of?

a man of knowledge uses words with restraint, and a man of understanding is even tempered
  • Virtually every Irish writer got out of here as soon as they had the chance yet they all still spoke so fondly of Ireland. Joyce, Shaw, Beckett, Wilde all got the fuck out of the country at the first opportunity. I hope to follow them at some stage. Maybe I will become a writer.

Those who have put out the eyes of the people reproach them of their blindness -John Milton 1642
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 24 Feb 2007, 03:00
    i wish i could go to me homeland. i'm american yet, in my opinion mostly Irish. i have a very strong Irish heritage and i am so proud of it! In fact i'm so proud, i got mad at a guy for gettin to do a report on Ireland, when he knows nothin about the good 'ol shores of Eire, except the fact he's PART Irish. i got stuck with wales. i was so mad at the guy, i didn't talk to him for nearly a whole day. I WISH I COULD GO TO ME HOMELAND!!!!!

• Well, Wales and Ireland are closely connected. You could do your project on Irish invasion and settlement of Wales during the Early Christian Period. Not many people think of Ireland as a colonial nation, but back then we were, insofar as an Irish nation actually existed back then. Anyway dont worry about being in exile you are not missing anything good. KP

Those who have put out the eyes of the people reproach them of their blindness -John Milton 1642
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 26 Feb 2007, 23:46
    Cruachan for one. The Irish spirit is very much kept alive in their powerful brand of celtic folk metal.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 2 Mar 2007, 03:24
    of course im missing something good. somewhere away from the US and somewhere that is proud of its heritege. the US seems too caught up in materialism and modernization.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 4 Mar 2007, 02:57
    Not unique to musicians, I'm an expat and it's extremely common to find a sort of weepy nostalgia (especially beer fuelled!) for home among emigrants. Not that they'd actually move back home, mind! The grass is always greener.

RAgirl2, one of the criticisms of Celtic Tiger Ireland is its materialism, career craziness, widening gaps between rich & poor, etc. Not sure I'd be as vociferous as some of the culture critics, but it's certainly different to the Ireland I left 10 years ago, let alone Ireland the stereotype.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 4 Mar 2007, 03:06
    thanx. i geuss i've heard alot of stereotypes. although i still wanna go.

• davinmc said...
    • User
    • 30 Mar 2007, 10:27
    I'm going through a major Paul Brady phase right now, all really focused on home...

Gleanntáin Ghlás Ghaoth Dobhair
    Rocks of Bawn
    The Homes of Donegal

I wanna go home! Just for the weekend though! ;-)

• Please people see sense , you don't want to come here. Everything said above about the Celtic Tiger (contemptuous laugh) is true. We are just like America now on a micro scale; a beautiful country full of souless materialism and people with ten mobil phones but no fucking personality. The only true stereotype floating around is we were happier when we were poor. Ain't that the truth.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 3 Sep 2007, 14:12
    I don't want to burst your bubble but every developed state is materialistic, so it's that or the third world :)

• THIRD WORLD PLEASE!!!!! Man that is the most ridiculous comment I have ever heard. You wouldn't be suggesting that there aren't people who are materialistically driven in the third world would you? You should go listen to some backwards Judas Priest right now.

• it is a lovely country but it depends where you go. certain pockets are wonderful others aren't. it's the same with most places like. poeple are materialistic...actually everyone is to an extent but then a lot care deeply for our heritage also..our language, our poetry our songs our old beliefs.

not all cases are one or the other from what i've witnessed.

as for the whole getting out of ireland and how reminiscent people get i just think of kavanagh. the idealisation of everything outside of the immediate and the eventual desire to give it all back.

if i knew then what i know now stuff.

"The meanest man lingers under the shadows of piles that tell him that his fathers were not slaves...He toils in the fields with structures before him through which echoes the voice of centuries - the voice of soldiers, of scholars and of saints."
  • It is true a lot care deeply for our heritage etc. etc. but it is not the people who count and it is not the people preparing to drive a road through our most important heritage site.

I don't agree people are materialistic, I firmly believe it is a social construct. I have had this exact same discussion with countless people and nearly all of them have said human beings are inherently materialistic with absolutely nothing to back that up.

• killerpriest said:
    I don't agree people are materialistic, I firmly believe it is a social construct. I have had this exact same discussion with countless people and nearly all of them have said human beings are inherently materialistic with absolutely nothing to back that up.

You could probably argue that nearly every major turning point in the history of mankind was driven by some want or desire for more than what they already have. If you think on that, it does seem like greed is probably inheritly built into us.

But then, all that's recorded in history is the very few "special" people.. so who knows?

Me. But I'm not telling. :D

tomorrow has been cancelled due to lack of interest...
  • But then, all that's recorded in history is the very few "special" people.. so who knows?Me. But I'm not telling. :D

Haha, go on tell us. I wont tell anyone else I swear :)

Anyway I disagree of course :P

Turning points tend to be brought about for the mostpart by the powerful and I am a firm believer in power corrupting and absolute power corrupting absolutely. I could still therefore not accept an inherent greed in the makeup of mankind, I feel cooperation is instinctive.

• free download

lovely Irish song
    connections between Liverpool and Ireland over the ages. (whole album is great)
    one of my many loved tracks
    http://www.last.fm/music/%C3%8Don/_/Learpholl

- fly away my hope -
Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.