Great Ones by Great Ones Now Gone

• Great Ones by Great Ones Now Gone

In no paticular order, I am beginning a list of great albums by some of the great artists we have lost over the years. I chalenge each member of the group to add at least one album by one of the artists on the list. Let's see how many great ones we can compile, o.k.??

I have started with 15 that I think are great. The album doesn't have to be the biggest hit of the artist or group, but it should be an actual album, not just a greatest hits compilation. Live albums may be listed also, as we know that there have been some great ones also.

Please feel free to repeat artists, but for obvious reasons, not titles, and also feel free to discuss another person's choice, if you wish.

This might actually be fun. Please join in when you have the time. Thanks!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Teena Marie, IRONS IN THE FIRE

Irons In The Fire
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Michael Jackson, OFF THE WALL

Off the Wall
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Nick Ashford of Ashford & Simpson, SOLID

Solid
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

4. Amy Winehouse, BACK TO BLACK

Back to Black
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5. Freddie Mercury of Queen, THE GAME

The Game
    --------------------------------------------------------

6. Rick James, STREET SONGS

Street Songs
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

7. Whitney Houston, WHITNEY HOUSTON

Whitney Houston
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8. Marvin Gaye, HERE, MY DEAR

Here, My Dear
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

9. Luther Vandross, THE NIGHT I FELL IN LOVE

The Night I Fell In Love

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10. Gerald Levert, PRIVATE LINE

Private Line
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

11. Curtis Mayfield, NEW WORLD ORDER

New World Order
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12. Frank Sinatra, IN THE WEE SMALL HOURS

In the Wee Small Hours
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

13. Donny Hathaway, EVERYTHING IS EVERYTHING

Everything Is Everything
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

14. David Ruffin of the Temptations, THE TEMPTATIONS SING SMOKEY

The Temptations Sing Smokey
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

15. Teddy Pendergrass, TP

TP
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

LaMusicLovr!!
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 27 Mar 2012, 11:40

Great Ones by Great Ones Now Gone (bnbmusic3000's List)

Here is my list of "Great Ones by Great Ones Now Gone".

1. Minnie Riperton - Come To My Garden

Come To My Garden

2. Minnie Riperton - Perfect Angel

Perfect Angel

3. Whitney Houston - The Preacher's Wife Original Soundtrack Album

The Preacher's Wife Original Soundtrack Album

4. Thomas Whitfield - My Faith

My Faith

5. Nat King Cole - Unforgettable

Unforgettable

6. Teddy Pendergrass - Life Is A Song Worth Singing

Life Is A Song Worth Singing

7. Phyllis Hyman - Can't We Fall In Love Again

Can't We Fall in Love Again

8. Michael Jackson - Thriller

Thriller

9. Marvin Gaye - What' Going On

What's Going On

10. Luther Vandross - Never Too Much

Never Too Much

11. Grover Washington, Jr. - Mister Magic

Mister Magic

12. Walter Hawkins - The Hawkins Family

The Hawkins Family

13. Walter Hawkins - Love Alive

Love Alive

14. Walter Hawkins - Love Alive II

Love Alive II

15. Whitney Houston - Whitney

Whitney

• Winelight

As a boy, this was first introduction to jazz, my dad used 2 listen to this record all the time. Years later, we purchased the album on cd for him, and even 'til this day, he still listens to it a couple of times a week.

1. Grover Washington, Jr. - Winelight

Winelight

record - he actually still has the vinyl in the album sleeve, the album cover is a little worn, but it was a nice looking cover, b/t/w, I have this on my iPod and my phone and when I wanna feel close 2 my dad, who, thank God is still with us, I listen 2 this too!

God bless Grover, may he 4ever rest in peace.

John-Boyy...
  • My choices are Vesta Williams -- "Vesta 4U" & Phyllis Hyman -- "Prime of My Life" & "Living All Alone"

I saw John-Boyy above me had written a little something about his choice. I thought I would try 2 do the same. Thanks 4 the invitation 2 do this.

There is a history with me and this album...During the 80's, this woman, in her struggle to offer a great record. Just listening to her sing "Running Into Memories" still gives me chills.

Vesta 4U

I saw Phyllis Hyman in concert while she was promoting "Prime of My Life". I was very young and with my mother at the show -- what emotion and artistry she displayed. I got the impression she had lived some of these songs. Her performance of "Living All Alone" during the concert made me cry. She talked to the audience for 4 or 5 minutes b4 she performed this song. It was the sadness she displayed that I will never 4get.

Prime Of My Life

Living All Alone

The 'Grate' Kate.
  • Luther Vandross, "Never Too Much"

During my lifetime, I have listened to many albums that I have loved alot. Luther's Epic Records debut is a treasure. From start to finish, only 7 songs long, but a true gem. He set a standard for himself and for so many others. One of the princes of soul.
    Just magical.

Luther Vandross

Never Too Much

Cameron!
Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.