• dude , the problem is not how much Iniquity is worshiping. Is how much is worshiping compared with Deicide. ;)
    a dm band being heavy without previous dm influences?! now, this is heaviness!

@pantera's influences: no, it isn't.

remember the squealing proximity i was mention? well, the step right before squealing was exactly the application of anselmo's vocals in death metal. but that is hard to explain, because of my english super skills but still, you simply cannot miss the specific guitar snickers .

but, hey! look at the bright side : almost the entire bdm genre is the same. no need to feel bad about Iniquity being like that.

Thrashing mad, we feed the beast
    in leather armour we ride the priest!
    church is on fire, we're having fun
    spikes are shining, we ride the nun!
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 28 Apr 2011, 13:40
    but, hey! look at the bright side : almost the entire bdm genre is the same. no need to feel bad about Iniquity being like that.
    Iniquity has nothing to do with brutal death metal to begin with... That's because they technical death metal. Only the vocal on debut sounds brutal dm though.
    And Anselmo death metal vocal efforts doesn't sound like the guy from Iniquity. I'm more interested to talk about music anyways.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 28 Apr 2011, 13:44
    Also, Incantation's Mortal Throne of Nazarene is fucking heavy and evil as hell at the same.
    Deicide and similar type bands sounds like fuzz in comparison

And speaking of Pantera... Deicide mid-era records actually sounds like Pantera worship with death metal vocals.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 28 Apr 2011, 14:10
    Also, I didn't say Iniquity's vocals is better than Benton... I said I like that vocals better.

• Agree. Middle era of Deicide sounds modern but this is the reason I pick up an early song.
    Never considered Iniquity as a tech dm band. No doubt, there are a bunch of skillful musicians but that does not mean technical. However, if so, what are Obscura and Necrophagist, then? Aliens?
    Of course, Iniquity is not that brutal but they have the same aesthetic with the rest of the brutal bands. Is the closest comparision I can give.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 29 Apr 2011, 10:54
    Never considered Iniquity as a tech dm band.
    It means you haven't heard their albums after the debut.

• nope, i haven't, but what's the point in discussing about an album which you have not mentioned in the first place?
    if i remember correctly you mentioned serenadium, which i have listened to and which is not technical ( as in genre definition ) at all.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 1 May 2011, 00:05
    I'm seriously not understanding what the debate is here. Are you two discussing what it means for a band to be brutal or something along those lines?

Anyway, I might be one of the only people that actually prefers Incantation's Upon The Throne of Apocalypse to Mortal Throne of Nazarene. They're the same record song-wise, but the production and mix on the former to me really makes the songs shine ever more, sounding a bit closer to Onward to Golgotha. (a little bit bassier overall) I also like the inverted tracklisting and it flows about as well as the original did, in my opinion.

I love the record, almost as much as OtG... Incantation have become one of my favourite death metal groups in recent times, and I love their early output. Their later stuff is pretty respectable, Primordial Domination in particular is a very strong album.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 1 May 2011, 00:39
    That reverse tracklist puts me off... The problem is that UTToA loses the flow, IMO. Songs seem to be scattered without any order
    "Abolishment of Immaculate Serenity" is a perfect closer for an album, but now it's played at the beginning? Or Demonic Incarnate is the best starting track is a closer now? I dunno

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 1 May 2011, 00:44
    Disciples of Mockery sounds pretty much like Onward to Golgotha with less pinch harmonics.
    Craig Pillard's voice is very altered here though; nowhere near as deep, low and atmospheric as on OtG.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 1 May 2011, 00:49
    Also, on Primordial Domination John McEntee's vocals sounds quite a bit like Chris Reifert in places.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 1 May 2011, 02:16
    I disagree about the reversed tracklist; I think it flows very well and while I agree that Demonic Incarnate and Abolishment of Immaculate Serenity should've remained in their place, the rest still all fits together well. "The Ibex Moon", in particular makes a ton of sense as track three. (one of Incantation's finest songs - the riffs are masterfully written and the song's direction absolutely exudes gloom and power)

I got ahold of the Disciples of Mockery record last night, i'm gonna give it a listen sometime soon.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 3 May 2011, 15:16
    I'm not sure what I was thinking before... Was listening to Cannibal Corpse -"Kill" right now and I have to say it's a fucking killer album!
    Massive, crushing guitar tone; the album is filled with great, heavy as fuck breaks all around.
    Solos are very energetic and never "out of place"; some of the best bass lines of Alex Webster - "Five Nails Trough The Neck" or "Discipline of Revenge " intro for example.
    Great riffs! "Necrosadistic Warning", "Death Walking Terror" contains some excellent ones.
    Corpsegrinder's savage, menacing vocals too.
    Lastly, it's the only Cannibal Corpse album without weak tracks in general!
    8.5/10

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 16 May 2011, 18:36
    Suffocation's "Despise The Sun" is a sadistically underrated EP.
    Some of the best production they have ever had, great riffs as usual and punching guitar tone.
    Also, for some reason it's more effective than their other releases.

• Let's talk about how much Necrophobic's 'The Nocturnal Silence' rules. Top 3 of Swedish death metal, easily. I can't think of many albums, death metal or otherwise, that have such a sickeningly malevolent atmosphere. Every riff is dripping with bloody evil and hate. David Parland was on amazing form here, it's a bit surprising that he couldn't even come close to conjuring such malignance with Dark Funeral.
    I sort of wore myself out on death metal a few years ago and there's only a few albums I regularly visit these days and this probably sits on top of that small list. So essential it hurts!

• jcpcc14 said...
    • User
    • 17 May 2011, 02:03
    Top 3 with Therion and Merciless I hope :)

• Absolutely! Not sure what I'd place at number one, but it'd definitely be one of those. All such killer albums (assuming we're talking about The Awakening and Beyond Sanctorum ;)).

• jcpcc14 said...
    • User
    • 17 May 2011, 03:25
    Beyond Sanctorum and The Awakening (in that order) would probably be around the middle of my top 10 of death metal period. The Nocturnal Silence would fall in the top 15-20 for sure. As they also have Unbound too, Merciless might be my 3rd favorite DM band at the moment after Morbid Angel and Incantation. Mostly spending my DM time on these (in rough order) in the last few months:

Morbid Angel - first two
    Incantation - first three
    The Chasm - Deathcult
    Therion - Beyond Sanctorum
    Merciless - Awakening/Unbound
    Miasma - Changes
    At the Gates - first two (excluding the latter half of WFIKTBD though)
    Rippikoulu - Musta Seremonia
    Unleashed - first two
    Demigod - Slumber
    Amorphis - Karelian Isthmus
    Necrophobic - Nocturnal Silence
    Asphyx - The Rack
    Autopsy - first two

After those and a few select new bands (well, pretty much only Dead Congregation, Necros Christos, and Slugathor), I could kinda care less right now myself, regardless of classic status.

• That list is actually really, really similar to what I consider the best of death metal too, the only releases I can think of that I'd add are:

Adramelech - Psychostasia
    Fleshcrawl - Descend into the Absurd (still criminally underrated, even after the explosion of interest in old-school DM (and LOADS of mediocre albums))
    Dismember - like an Everflowing Stream
    Massacra - Final Holocaust
    Runemagick - The Supreme Force of Eternity

Unbound is indeed killer, so glad to have been able to pick up a cheap first press of it a few years back. I still haven't got around to checking out Merciless' self-titled album. Anyone heard it?

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 17 May 2011, 09:56
    When it comes to death metal, I can't hype Swallowed (FIN) enough. They're one of the best new death metal bands in my opinion. Someone could complain about the Autopsy/Nihilist worship of the demos, but the EP is really great slow paced death metal with a personal touch. Of course you can still hear the influences there, but they're more subtle and there's a lot of more of their own sound. One of the best releases of 2010 for me personally.

I've probably mentioned them here already, but can't be bothered to check, haha.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 17 May 2011, 15:44
    The Nocturnal Silence was one of the first Swedeath albums I looked into when I began delving into that sect of death metal. It's been one of my absolute favourite records ever written since, because it combines the various facets of the Swedeath sound, black metal, and even recurring thrash influence masterfully. (even beyond the name, it's blatant these guys were massive Slayer fans - they're more consonantly melodic, but I get a similar vibe from them that I do on Hell Awaits) Parland's a really underrated lead guitarist too, i'd go so far as to say he beats Nodtveidt at his own game.

I'm going to be doing a death metal list on RYM fairly soon, but I don't have all of my picks or the order really all ironed out, with the exception of my top four (Morbid Angel, Dismember, Septic Flesh, and Therion). It's sort of up in the air right now, I have an idea but i'm not sure where to take it since i've a few other projects on that site to work on.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 18 May 2011, 13:18
    "Like An Ever Flowing Stream" is the best album to ever come out of Sweden and death metal's Top-5 overall. I just think it could even be better if Nicke Andersson did the drums on this (he did lead guitar on LAEFS, not David Blomqvist).

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 25 May 2011, 01:47
    Blomqvist does the solo in "Override of the Overture".

Like an Ever Flowing Stream to me is Swedish death metal perfection, there really isn't an album that represents the best virtues of the Stockholm scene than that album. The band's sense of melody is absolutely stunning from literally the first riff (that legendary tremolo melody that's used as a recurring theme in "Override of the Overture"), and even the most overtly thrash-based riffs have a really strikingly consonant sense of melody. (which is why I can't comprehend people calling Dismember 'Entombed clones' - aesthetic similarities aside, Dismember and Entombed really do not sound that similar at all on a compositional level) The songs are stunningly well written and truly captivating throughout (though I should note that "In Death's Sleep" is the end of the record for me - "Deathevokation" and "Defective Decay" are good songs, but the former was done better as Carnage and I think the latter was best on the Reborn in Blasphemy demo), and the production job is one of the most fitting ever. The only downside to me is Fred Estby's drumming, but it's not a glaring issue for me.

I mean, one could definitely make a solid case for At the Gates or Liers in Wait being better bands overall (both of those bands had way better musicians than Dismember ever had). But LaEFS to me represents the embodiment of the old Swedeath scene in a nutshell.

• do people seriously call dismember an entombed clone? The riffs are not similar at all.
    Dismember is what you get if you mix autopsy with thin lizzy. While sure entombed also is fairly influenced by autopsy but autopsy was really the first of that sound.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 25 May 2011, 14:37
    I don't think Entombed was all that influenced by Autopsy - both bands were around at the same time (in Entombed's case, as Nihilist) and both bands recorded their debuts in the same year. (Entombed recorded Left Hand Path in December of that year, and pretty much all of the songs on it, with the exception of the the title track, "But Life Goes On" and "The Truth Beyond" were all written when they went by Nihilist in 1988-89) I think any similarity between the two bands is really coincidence.

And yeah, i've read quite a few reviews which seriously have said that Dismember are a clone of Entombed. You're right that neither band actually resembles each other in terms of riffcraft, amongst other things.

Edited by a deleted user on 25 May 2011, 14:43
Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.