Top-3 your favorite death metal bands

That's mine:
    1. Immolation
    2. Gorguts
    3. The Chasm

• 1. Immolation.
    2. Death.
    3. Atheist or Morbid Angel.

• Care to explain why? List threads are pretty dull.

• slackashi said:
    Care to explain why? List threads are pretty dull.

Because name dropping is cool.

Anti-scum.

• It's difficult for me to come up with three death metal bands that have been consistently good enough to warrant being mentioned in a thread like this. Someone wiser than me said "albums are timeless, bands are not" and I couldn't agree more.

The Chasm, Bolt Thrower, Gorguts, and Asphyx are all good choices, but none of them released an album that's a favourite of mine.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 19 Dec 2009, 17:17
    Morbid Angel, mostly because of their 2 first albums. They are the best Death Metal ever made.
    Also a big fan of The Chasm. Haven't heard everything they have released though.
    Also, Bolt Thrower is a band I like quite much. I am actually one of those who prefer their first album.

• IronGrave said:
    Someone wiser than me said "albums are timeless, bands are not" and I couldn't agree more.

True. 3 of my favourite death metal albums would be (no order):

- Seven Churches. Evil, raw, brutal, fast, heavy and above all very enjoyable. If someone asked me for an example of everything I find good in death metal, I'd show them this album.

- Severed Survival. Reifert's thundering drums and hoarse vocals, the sludgy basslines and the sabbathian fast/slow alternations make for a pretty unique album. One of the first death metal acts I checked out, and one I can foresee staying with me for ages to come.

-Piece of Time. This was also one of the first death metal acts I got into. I started with UP, but after hearing this it quickly became my favourite. The thrashiness, frantic drumming and manic basslines, all the crazy time signatures and dual guitars; they all rock hard as fuck.

Bear in mind I'm no expert on death metal, nor have I been listening to it for that long (about 2 years or so), so my opinions may be open to change. But these are my current top albums from the genre.

• 1. Possessed
    2. Master
    3. Morbid Angel

Seven Churches, On the seventh day god created..Master! and Altars of Madness are the best Death Metal that has ever been done. Period.

• Top 3 albums (in no particular order)

Autopsy - Mental Funeral
    The definitive death metal/Autopsy album. Great atmosphere, killer riffs. A must-hear for fans of the genre.

Possessed - Seven Churches
    Great guitar tone, and essential for being from one of the first death metal albums ever.

Cryptopsy - Blasphemy Made Flesh
    This one's a guilty pleasure, because it's the first death metal album I ever heard. But Flo's drumming and Lord Worm's vocals are amazing, nonetheless.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 28 Jan 2010, 17:33
    long-view said:
    Top 3 albums (in no particular order)

Autopsy - Mental Funeral
    The definitive death metal/Autopsy album. Great atmosphere, killer riffs. A must-hear for fans of the genre.

Atmosphere, song writing, solos, etc. Yeah, awesome, but riffs can be better I think. But album still one of the best.

• I disagree. I don't think the riffs were meant to be prominent anyways. That album to me is all about the atmosphere from the thick production.

I'm with IronGrave on valuing albums much more than bands, but if I had to chose it'd be Incantation, Morbid Angel and Asphyx.

Edited by Nekrocrafte on 4 Dec 2010, 01:29
  • Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness
    Such a savage album, in my top 3 of all time. The riffs could summon demons and his vocals are so hateful. Every track is a killer.

Repugnant - Epitome of Darkness
    This album, for me, captures the true spirit of DM, something very few bands can or have achieved. Perfect album.

Can't decide after that, Possessed, Bolt Thrower, Drowned's EP, Incantation...possibly.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 1 Feb 2010, 15:45
    CallumJBS said:
    Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness
    Such a savage album, in my top 3 of all time. The riffs could summon demons and his vocals are so hateful. Every track is a killer.

This album, for me, captures the true spirit of DM, something very few bands can or have achieved. Perfect album.

Can't decide after that, Possessed, Bolt Thrower, Drowned's EP, Incantation...possibly.

Rly? But it's good, just above average DM album. In Sweden you can find (and in death metal in general) much better albums...

• BloodRunsFree said:
    CallumJBS said:

Rly? But it's good, just above average DM album. In Sweden you can find (and in death metal in general) much better albums...

Each to their own, I find it perfect. Absolutely morbid and evil.

• 1. Death - Leprosy . First pure death metal release and still actual as in its days. Pure gold. You can put it in a dictionary as genre deffinition.

2. Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness . Truth be told , I strongly belive that it was revealed to Trey a.k.a. Mr. Morbi d'Angelo by Satan Himself. If you think something/anything define death metal the best way, there's no need to explain it. Just point it in AoM. Is surely there.

3. Unleashed - Where No Life Dwells . Raw, harsh, no solos but hard and efficient riffage and a very strong determined drumer. Killer! Before the Creation of Time still kicks my ass in despite of almost 20 years of listening to it.

Thrashing mad, we feed the beast
    in leather armour we ride the priest!
    church is on fire, we're having fun
    spikes are shining, we ride the nun!
  • [spam]

[spam]

Edited by hjbardenhagen on 28 Jan 2011, 06:38
  • Malevolent Creation: (The Ten Commandments/Retribution;cannot decide between the two albums)
    Rottrevore: Iniquitous
    Fleshcrawl: Descend Into The Absurd

Those are the 3 bands 4 albums that I always find myself going back to often.

Anti-scum.

• If we're doing albums, let me try this,

1. Altars of Madness - Morbid Angel.
    At first listen I didn't really like it, I didn't know what it was, but it just didn't click for me. After seeing the incredible amount of praise bestowed on this album I decided to give it another try, and I was blown away. Azagthoth's twisted riffs, Sandoval's legendary drumming ,David Vincent's vocals that might very well be the definition of evil, ... Everything is perfect, I wouldn't change a thing.

2. Close To A World Below - Immolation.
    This album was pretty hard to get into. Practically everyone who knew this album, loved it. After six or so listens, it finally clicked, and unholy shit this album rules. Vigna delivers some of the best riffs I've ever heard in death metal. And let's not forget Ross Dolan's amazing vocal performance, deep yet decipherable.

3. Unquestionable Presence - Atheist.
    This is how technical death metal should be done. Great songwriting and amazing instrumental skills. Every member gives an incredible performance. The bass is very audible, and it works extremely well. Such a shame Roger Patterson wasn't able to play on this album.

• 1. Possessed [Thrash/Death]
    2. Death [Death]
    3. Necrophagist [Technical Death]
    Atheist, Incantation, Num Skull

IN THIS WORLD DARKEST HOUR... UP THE HAMMERS TO STAY!

• Top 3 OSDM albums:

Blew my mind. This is the greatest DM album of all time for me.

Darkthrone - Soulside Journey
    Simply put: Fucking amazing and mind blowing.

Abramelin - Abramelin
    Seriously evil sounding Australian Death Metal.

Honourable mention:
    Incantation - Onward to Golgotha
    In a word: Amazing.

Top 3 Newer DM albums:

Cemetery Urn - Urn of Blood
    Sounds bloody demonic! Highly recommended.

Tribulation - The Horror
    Thrashy as fuck but still within the realms of Death Metal. I love it.

Destruktor - Nailed
    Let's just say I have a back patch of this album for a reason and leave it at that, shall we?

Honourable mention:
    Ignivomous - Death Transmutation
    Incantation worship done right, with it's own Aussie flair. Brilliant.

• That Abramelin album truly is great. I remember having a lot of trouble tracking down a copy until I visited family in Brisbane for a couple of weeks and literally came across 4 or 5 copies of it in different shops.

My top three albums would probably be:

Demigod - Slumber of Sullen Eyes

Became an instant favourite years and years ago when I first heard it. Still remains unrivaled.

Merciless - The Awakening

Vesupria introduced me to this a few years back and I initially didn't think it was anything too special, but it's since become one of my most played albums ever. Death/thrash doesn't get any better.

Amorphis - The Karelian Isthmus/Privilege of Evil

Have to lump these two together. The former is an early lesson for the Swedes in how to play melodic death metal without compromising the DEATH, while the latter is beastly, malevolent death metal of the highest order (thanks in large to the production).

Other notables:

Morbid Angel - Blessed are the Sick
    Pestilence - Consuming Impulse
    Massacra - The Final Holocaust
    Miasma - Changes
    Therion - Beyond Sanctorum

• Honestly, I find that Demigod album slightly overrated. It drags on a bit too long for my liking. Still great but I wouldn't say it's up there for me.

Asphyx - The Rack
    Death metal simply doesn't get more vicious than this and the title track may be the best death metal song of all time. Van Drunen's vocals are like none other and never fail to impress me.

At the Gates - The Red in the Sky is Ours
    Complex song writing and melodicism without detracting from the genre. The band really nailed an original sound with this album.

Incantation - Onward to Golgotha
    This album took me the longest time to fully appreciate (probably because of the relentless blasting throughout) but is now easily one of my favorites. This album truly pounds your skull in more so than probably any death metal I've ever heard.

Honorable mentions:
    Adramelech - Psychostasia
    Demilich - Nespithe
    Cemetary - An Evil Shade of Grey

• Wvrm said...
    • User
    • 14 Aug 2010, 01:01

[spam]

[spam]

Edited by hjbardenhagen on 8 Feb 2011, 05:37
  • fuck, i cant pick just 3. Top 3 scenes i can do however.
    Floridan, stockholm and finnish. :P

• Vagabond1988 said:
    Destruktor - Nailed

Spawning the Immortal is simply

Thrashing mad, we feed the beast
    in leather armour we ride the priest!
    church is on fire, we're having fun
    spikes are shining, we ride the nun!
Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.