Most Important Indie Bands?

• I don't see how Queen really influenced anyone. It seemed like those "opera" metal bands came and went. I mean, sure, it was avant-garde at the time, but I haven't really heard anybody since that era that really pulled it off. Don't get me wrong, I think Queen and Freddy Mercury were a talented bunch of guys... I just don't really see any independent influences around anymore. I've been known to be wrong, though.

I was thinking about turquoise, I was thinking about gold; I was thinking about diamonds, and the world's biggest necklace. As we rode through the canyons -- through the devilish cold -- I was thinking about Isis, how she thought I was so reckless.
  • anyone can go on about how these new (post-2000) bands inspired a new movement... but in my eyes it goes back to joy division and the smiths... inspired by velvet underground, sex pistols and the rest of the punk explosion and also the beatles.

you can hear joy division and the smiths in all these awesome new bands.

• Whose talking about post 2000 bands? Pink Floyd, Neil Young, Queen, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, the Beatles, Elvis Costello, Burt Bacharach... The most recent of these were 90s... I don't disagree with the bands you mentioned.

Also, I know we touched on the Beatles, but John Lennon did his own thing post-Beatles and I personally see him in a lot of artists. Also, Bob Dylan should never be overlooked.

I was thinking about turquoise, I was thinking about gold; I was thinking about diamonds, and the world's biggest necklace. As we rode through the canyons -- through the devilish cold -- I was thinking about Isis, how she thought I was so reckless.
    • dmot said...
    • User
    • 30 Jun 2006, 04:57
    Pearl jam? Be serious. I dont think Creed is an indie band.

• Pavement,
    The Flaming Lips,
    Radiohead,
    Elvis Costello,
    The Pixies,
    The Arcade Fire.

• of montreal

..maybe

• Of Montreal is important as a part of the entire Elephant 6 movement, but not really by itself. by itself, it's just really really good.

• Re:

Quoth dmot:
    Pearl jam? Be serious. I dont think Creed is an indie band.

Oh, so bringing the grunge genre into the spotlight is totally not important at all. I mean, defining the entire '90s alternative culture is really just a foot-note.

And who said anything about Creed?

• dmot said...
    • User
    • 1 Jul 2006, 21:10
    let me explain...
    Grunge had a lot of similarity to hair metal. Grunge guitar sounded a lot like hair metal guitar. Though grunge used more power chords its solos were about the same, and some grunge bands used a lot of the same tones. Bands like mudhoney and nirvana were actually punk not grunge. Pearl jam was a grunge band, and one of the most annoying. The goat sounding singer influenced people like the singer from creed. Pearl jam has not influenced indie rock in the slightest bit. Indie rock was in fact rebelling against shit bands like pearl jam during this time.

• man's got a point - you won't hear much pearl jam in many indie bands today. you will, however, hear bands like Pixies, Pavement, Fugazi and Sonic Youth.

• Re:

Quoth dmot:
    let me explain...
    Grunge had a lot of similarity to hair metal. Grunge guitar sounded a lot like hair metal guitar. Though grunge used more power chords its solos were about the same, and some grunge bands used a lot of the same tones. Bands like mudhoney and nirvana were actually punk not grunge. Pearl jam was a grunge band, and one of the most annoying. The goat sounding singer influenced people like the singer from creed. Pearl jam has not influenced indie rock in the slightest bit. Indie rock was in fact rebelling against shit bands like pearl jam during this time.
    Last time I checked, all "indie" meant was "independent..." And even within the indie rock "genre," there are such vast styles and difference... How could you possibly say "indie was rebelling against grunge?"

My point was Pearl Jam and Nirvana brought the USA out of the '80s. Period. It's an important thing in musical history, and, what's that? They were independent at the time.

EDIT: I don't like Pearl Jam, Nirvana, or Creed for that matter. I just accept that Pearl Jam and Nirvana were important bands.

• dmot said...
    • User
    • 2 Jul 2006, 02:03

Re: Re:

IvintageI you don't know what indie music is. The tag indie is mostly a sound, it can also mean released on an independent label. Pearl Jam has never been that sound. Pearl jam helped to bring COMERCIAL radio out of the 80s. Pearl Jam was one of the leading reasons why comercial radio sucked in the ninties. College radio is mainly where indie bands are. College radio was never affected by hair metal, therefore pearl did nothing for college radio and nothing for independent music.
    Indie bands that were influential in the ninties(even if some put out there best stuff in the 80s) are My Bloody Valentine, The Pixies, Pavement, Sonic Youth, Built to Spill, and Neutral Milk Hotel.

• i still say the beatles, bob dylan, and the velvet underground.

• is this thread about bands that shaped the future of indie music (beatles, VU) or bands that made indie into how we see it (pavement, pixies, SY)? i got confused somewhere around the Queen/Pearl Jam argument.

• anti45 said...
    • User
    • 3 Jul 2006, 17:25
    Bob Dylan.
    The clash(London calling onwards) shaped modern indie.
    Joy Division
    Bowie
    I could go on.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 9 Jul 2006, 13:49
    I'd say that you can hear Nirvana in a lot of indie bands, and you can hear a lot of Dinsoaur Jnr. In Nirvana... Tell me that Dinosaur Jnr Aren't indie and I will lock you in a room with a hungry tiger. While they were hugely succesful the sound is part of modern indie, even if it's the Dinosaur Jnr stuff that shows though, some bands will have been influenced by that Nirvana sound.

Lennon is for me very much a figure of influence in what is percieved in the indie sound. As well as The Beatles. Their influence is so wide and huge it's increadible.

Just because noone picked it up last time, The Libertines?

Additionally The White Stripes? And finally Kanye West? I know he's an odd one, but I know a lot of people who are Indie snobs and keep him on their favourite playlists. He's a musical genius, and even if he's classed as hip hop or r'n'b his influence and his music is much more widescope than that.

I like being edgy and freethinking... it pisses other people off. (snobs)

• Cylob said...
    • User
    • 9 Jul 2006, 14:59
    Dinosaur Jr were hugely influencial in Britain, giving rise to bands like Radiohead (and some would argue half the shoegazer movement). Not bad, as they only toured the UK a couple of times.

Nirvana weren't influencial in terms of their sound (as grunge died before Kurt himself did), but they did rekindle the punk ethic.

Sadly, they gave rise to a million crappy punk-pop bands. If they knew, I think they'd have been window cleaners instead.

Secret Snacker & Accomplished Pen Thief At:
    • Dennin said...
    • User
    • 9 Jul 2006, 17:44
    Errrr.....The Smiths and Radiohead were influencial to indie.

At the moment though I think the most important to indie are:

The Strokes (their new album was crap compared to their first two)
    Kooks
    The Libertines and the rest (Dirty pretty things and Babyshambles)
    W.A.S

• Re:

Quoth TimDrakeWannabe:
    And finally Kanye West?

kanye does rule, but i think he's not so much an influence to indie music as an entrance into rap music for the fans of indie music. he's gonna be hugely influential to the next generation of rap music (and this one, Lupe Fiasco's record is great, too), but not to indie.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 9 Jul 2006, 18:37
    At the moment the Kooks are a bunch of beach bums, I'm sorry you may like them all you want but for me they are just using this 'indie' craze to sell records, and not really about the music which to me is important.

DPS and babyshambles are good, but they are nothing in comparison to what they were, The Libertines were the peak of their careers I think. They were great together but apart Pete and Carl are pretty flimsy I think.

I think your right that Kanye is a window from rap to indie, but i think your ignoring the fact that indie doesn't necesarily mean rock, it's a sound that comest hrough the music and says this is different, this isn't trying to be about sales, this is about something more. So I'd consider what Kanye has indie rap.

I'm not on about Nirvana being the rebirth of grunge or it's embodiement, Nirvana had their own sound. That kind of grit and rawness which i think you can hear in people like the White Stripes etc. It's that which I think has affected a lot of Indie music.

Vital Modern Indie bands for me would definately include WAS because of two things, you can tell from their sound that they enjoy the music their making. Secondly they have a very dance beat, which is something thats become almost synonymous with modern indie. Arcade Fire and Broken Social Scene will become the Fl;aming Lips of the future I think.

• Dennin said...
    • User
    • 9 Jul 2006, 18:54
    I'm not really into the Kooks now. I loved Naive but the rest of the album is just filler for one great record. I think you are right about the whole craze thing.

I think Babyshambles are better than DPS, for the one reason that I think Doherty is amazing.

I don't get where you are coming from with the whole Kanye thing though.

WAS rule!!!!!!!!

• does anyone think the countless 80s nuwave bands, most obvious of which was probably devo, were influential in today's electronic indie and lofi pop stuff? they revolutionized synthesizers and made it possible for their infinte uses in today's music.

also, ill have to agree with joy division and velvet underground being extremely influential to indie music.

i think minor threat/rites of spring/fugazi are just as important as well. while the first two were more punk than indie musically, their methods of operation were very indie, with dischord records being a very successful diy operation.

• PAVEMENT

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 9 Jul 2006, 23:06
    Doherty was amazing, now he's just retarded. The copious amount of drugs he takes has rotted his musical genius. The only reason the sham are better is because a lot of that was written before the Tines broke up, did you know that?

The Kanye thing is that he has an indie sound. He makes great music thats very different from most hip hop because it not only describes society and personal issues but sounds like well nothing else. He's helped some amazing artists as a producer but as an artist he's increadible. If you listen to his music it sounds like he's having fun!

I'm not too into the modern synth thing... too many bands overuse it. Killers anyone? The 80's were cool, but we've moved on or I hope we have. Synth is one of those things that should be brought back in moderation.

How about just Stephen Malkmus as an entity?

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.