Modern music you DO listen to

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 25 May 2009, 14:31
    Oh, not this again...

• gatois said:
    Uh, this might seem like a silly question but why do you think music suddenly became shit after 89? Did every new band suddenly run out of inspiration and talent? Because, really wouldn't that be a gradual process, not something you can affix to a certain point in time?

I'm not trying to be offensive, I'm genuinely curious.

After 1989, it's all been a recurring joke, a truly insipid desecration of the art form once known as music. Why 1989? Because in the 1990s, the grand continuity that had existed for decades was halted and aborted instantaneously. Recently, technology shifts have allowed no-name hacks to plunder at will and spread their worthless wares across the globe with excessive ease. It's all a sickening pastiche and offensive attack on the legacy of pre-1989 music. Terrible, terrible stuff.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 26 May 2009, 22:02
    How do you know for sure if you don't even bother to listen to modern music? There are plenty of old time hacks and all-around wankers pre-'89, too. Originality and creativity doesn't have a fresh date - it's still in abundance.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 27 May 2009, 02:58
    So nothing new ever has the potential to be creative? If I went and formed a band tomorrow it would automatically suck, just because I wasn't alive in 1989?

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 28 May 2009, 00:07
    You might regret ignoring modern music one day and then you'll have a lot of catching up to do. And your cut-off seems a little strange to me, I mean I probably like the 90s better than the 00s, I think it was a great decade for music.

To make a few additions to the thread that I forgot earlier, I also like M83, Caribou, and Panda Bear.

• i DO listen to (cause i skip the bands i listen to occasionally) Kings of Leon (yeah, those sold-out wankers), The Strokes, Yeah Yeah Yeahs... does Depeche Mode counts? they`re modern, but they`re kinda not.

• How could I forget?
    Hilary Duff - Again, sue me. I don't care if she's just another teenage-popsinger, I adore that girl. Particularly after her Dignity album. She showed she can write her own songs.
    And she opened my doors to James Dean and then the whole Vintage Hollywood.

• Hm, it depends what you have in mind saying modern music. Modern for me means younger than me or currenlty playing. So I can say I listen to modern metal , because most of bands I like are still alive (Opeth, Anathema, Satyricon, Primordial, lots of stuff) and guys like Idan Raichel or Rufus Wainwright. I think that modern metal is not worse than the old, alternative in on pretty high leven, but modern thing I dislike are rock and pop. Old good Madonna was cool, but when I hear the newest blondies I don't know if I should cry or laught. This is why I don't listen to pop at all. I have similar feelings when it comes to modern rock, there're only few bands playing so called good music. But rock will always mean for me sixties and early seventies. Modern groups' sound compared to The Doors, Jefferson Airplane, Black Widow or Lucifer's Friend is simply.. pale.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 1 Jun 2009, 22:45
    I think of modern music as 90s and upwards, but this thread might be more 00s focused, I dunno. As for old artists making new things, I think as long as they're putting out stuff as good as when they were in their prime, it's fine. It's an interesting question, I mean I don't really know what the official definition of modern music is.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 2 Jun 2009, 06:43
    For me, I think of modern music as stuff that's happening in the here and now wheras old music is stuff people have started nostalgia-ising/placing in music history. If people start talking as though "I remember/I wish I was there when ... happened" or "... was/were great, such an icon/icons of the ..., and they influenced all this stuff that came later such as .... and ...." the band/scene becomes "old" to me, even if they're still releasing stuff now.

I don't know if that makes sense, but it's an interesting question.

EDIT: so that means in my head the 90s are old music, because most people talk about them from a historical perspective. (actually the words "historical perspective" was exactly what I was trying to get at above but oh well. if something is viewed from a historical perspective it's old IMO)

• Seeing as 'the 90s' were last century, I don't think you can really count music from then as new.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 2 Jun 2009, 07:25
    Yeah, you're right. I guess it feels weird not counting 90s artists as modern cause that's what I grew up with, and it was only around 10 years ago when it ended.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 3 Jun 2009, 08:08
    I wasn't really there for any of the nineties (well, I was but I don't remember any of the music) so it all seems old to me.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 3 Jun 2009, 08:26
    I remember, but they're mostly not good memories. There was a lot of bad pop music on the radio in the 90s. Two of my favorite albums were released the year I was born though, so I'm happy about that.

Just to clarify a little bit, it's not like I think of 90s music as brand new or anything, but in this group we tend to discuss things from 50s-80s the most, and I connect those decades with "old music" for some reason.

• Crystal Stilts are greatest new band in the entire world, you all would probably hate them.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 3 Jun 2009, 21:46
    They were actually my result off of this site a while ago http://yournextfavband.com/ so I might not hate them. But this time I got Big Black.

• Big Black are brilliant.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 4 Jun 2009, 08:23
    haha, I just did that and I got Joy Division, who I already listen to so...

• I did it and got White Lies...

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 4 Jun 2009, 14:59
    I just did it, and I got Tom Waits.

• Li_zzy said...
    • User
    • 21 Jun 2009, 09:53
    Hmmm, IF I listen to modern music it is old again somehow. Bands like Wolfmother and The Answer are praised because of their classic rock sound. I always end up there somehow.

• Arn0VL said...
    • User
    • 28 Jun 2009, 15:17
    Does the new Dylan album (Together Trough Life) count? It's a modern album (2009) but not so much a modern artist.

• NO IT DOESN'T

• Arn0VL said...
    • User
    • 28 Jun 2009, 17:24
    IanCurtis13 said:
    NO IT DOESN'T

Yeah, i knew that. It was a rhetorical question, but thanks for the clear answer.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 29 Jun 2009, 18:46
    The Slaves (underrated swedish pop)
    Sister Vanilla
    The Pains of Being Pure at heart
    Sons and Daughters

eh. cant think of anything more.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.