What do you dislike/hate about today's music?

• The fact that is so unbelievably ordinary. So boring and repetitive. Songs, having lyrics with no meaning. Just a beat, and nothing more than that.

• i hate the way that most of artist treat their job (money, money, money). i cannot say it's not necessary, but today it seems to be the most important, where is a passion?

• Every song in pop music nowdays is easy to forget, where is the big hits people will always remember! Other music too, Rock/Metalb ands are dying, and most of the new ones (talking about mainstream) suck ass! There is still hope in the underground, so everyone start supporting your local bands you like, not just the big ones!

• Auto-tune is one thing that really annoys me in modern music.
    Whether it's over-exaggerated to distort the voice or just used to fix errors in the pitch of the voice, it still ruins the point of singing, mistakes in vocals are some of the things I love about 60s Soul singers.

Also, don't discredit hip-hop, personally I think it's a great genre of music that shouldn't be overlooked, but often is due to peoples perceptions. I would not say that the artists in the charts, (Lil Wayne, Soulja Boy, Kanye West, etc.) are actually hip-hop, they are just a mixture of Pop, Rap, and Rhythm and Beats. Most 21st Century hip-hop artists are generally quite awful, though there have been some gems.

A lot of indie/rock listeners annoy me in that they think that they are different because the bands they listen to are not in the charts, yet the bands they are listening to are some of the most popular artists in the country, it's just no-one buys their music, they download it. The tag indie has become so misused now, and is now used to describe basically any 21st century rock/pop band.

• I jump into the topic, sorry for not reading past page 4 except this one. From what I read it seems hate is more a passionate thing than love :D

As far as I’m concerned, I think I can’t decide the period where I would have liked to be born even if I was twice as old as I am now I would still have missed Scott Joplin for instance :/

Let’s draw the line in the 1950s. Seems like many of us are children of baby boomers that were born during the decade that followed WWII. I guess we’ve just been fed by their music.

Don’t get me wrong, there are many decent bands today, I just feel that their culture still shines in our culture today because we just got so influenced. The fact that many people dislike hip-hop, which emerged later on is describing this.

I think that people like Eminem have a great talent in composing songs full of consonances (see Lose Yourself) and this may look like modern poetry, Wu-tang clan also rocks ! The problem is that once you have a precursor, and that he succeeds in his domain, many me-too products arises and THIS is the problem. Because they’re often pale copies that go worse over time. This is applicable to all genres, be it Indie, Rap, or Reggae.

I guess I would have liked to see these precursors live because of that.
    Bob Marley, The Who, Jimi Hendrix, Kraftwerk, Run DMC… all these guys were just innovators, while today it’s hard to find something new _and_enjoyable, but who knows, maybe in third decades those guys will be at the top too (see Aphex Twin for instance)

My musical preference is 88.98% similar to the Amarok Users group. Musically, I fit in!
    My musical preference is 85.54% similar to the Mandriva group. Musically, I fit in!
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 5 Jun 2010, 19:33
    People are too afraid to express themselves. Or they just don't have the guts to do it. I watched a few episodes of the Tube the other day and even if the bands were not that great, they were all trying to do their own thing.

There seems to be a connection between being influenced by the Velvet Underground and being a good band as well. Maybe it's their attitude or something. Most of the really great ones have cited them or Bowie as one of their main influences.

I think there's still a lot of originality coming out of New York but England is pretty much dead when it comes to originality. I heard someone say that the English treat music as a job while the Americans treat it as art. Could be kind of true in this age. The only English artist I can think of who I really like is Patrick Wolf.

Music just isn't important to people anymore, with internet, television, computer games etc, they're distracted by other things.

I used to like folk but I think it's kind of been ruined for me since they all sound the same to me now. It just doesn't have the energy of old rock. It's far too polite and obsessed with being clever. Maybe there will be a backlash, I dunno.

Oh well, at least I can cram all of my energy into worshiping Arcade Fire :D

• Auto Tune is the worse thing who someone invented

• xFOSSAx said...
    • User
    • 7 Jun 2010, 14:03
    MacQwaser pisze:
    Auto Tune is the worse thing who someone invented

can't agree more

why join the crowd?
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 18 Jun 2010, 20:18
    Yeah I agree with auto-tune.
    Also when I listen to the charts (I do give it a chance) it just sounds the same, there is no variation, it's all the same genres and the songs sound the same.

Also I think that music videos, are dreadful, they are mostly all at parties. Where's the creativity?

And songs seem to be just love songs, and about parties and getting drunk.

I am genrally just talking about mainstream, as there is a lot of good stuff out there, you just have to look.

• Nothing. I like today' s music.Not all, but most of it, yes.

Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream
    It is not dying...
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 6 Jul 2010, 18:11
    I can't stand today's music, the pop scene has pretty much all been the same so that does not annoy me that much it is the modern metal that annoys me. bands like slipknot and korn who claim to have influences from black sabbath, iron maiden and the other classic, but listening to their music there is no trace of any influence!! which shows they drop names in an attempt to bring in older metal listens with lies!! also their music is shit and they cross music that she not be mixed like rap and metal!!

• I hate it that you dont need to have talent.Some good connections and you are a famous singer for example. :(

For them its music.For me its life.
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 31 Dec 2010, 20:14
    I think that nowadays there are too many songs about nothing. Today many "artists" creates only for money, and music is only a product, just like bread or coffee. It's really hard to find something with a real artistic meaning, something more than sound and words. These days there is some diagram especially with pop songs. The song appears, becomes a hit, it is even really good for some group of people for few weeks and then just vanishes - I really don't know and I'm worried about future generations, what they will listen to from our time.
    There is to much money, and too little art.

• Today music is so soul-less
    Maybe a old rockstar like Jim Morrison, Kurt Cobain, Axl Rose, Mick Jagger... were/are bad people etc but they were(are) a great artists...
    They had even been so soulfull and use a lot of methaphor when they used to sing about sex, drugs, alcohol, money or mainstream friends/enemies...
    Look at song like "Trampled Underfoot" "Alabama Song" "All is loneliness" etc.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 2 Jan 2011, 13:27
    Isilloth pisze:
    Today music is so soul-less

I agree, when you listen to the songs of e.g. Joy Division, The Cure or Nirvana you can "feel artists mind and soul" his anger, sandness, pain, doubt and worries, not only in words, but in all elements of the song, in every sound. The songs have some special unrepeatable climate. It is really interesting because it's real. It's hard to find it in todays music.

• LouvePL said...
    • User
    • 4 Jan 2011, 19:55
    NOT every music this times are bad but... The fact is radiostations and televisions make plastic thunderforce on listeners. The stars that are shining now the most are often just using sex and empty slogans. This music is... Full of bullshit and emptiness. Lyrics about fucking or - mostly - about nothing. Same rhytm again and again. Couple of bits that repeats on and on. So soul-less. Only boobs and fuckable clothes are counting. You must be cute not tallented. That hurts. Music that don't touch your heart or your soul is just a crap... you don't have to got talent :/

Edited by LouvePL on 9 Jan 2011, 14:00
  • I don't hate all of today's music. There are a lot of really good indie/folk/lesser-known rock bands that are amazing. It just seems that almost everything on top 40 stations today is repetitive, lacks any sort of melody, and sounds like the lyrics were written by people who barely graduated elementary school.
    On the other hand, I seem to enjoy the majority of bands that were popular in the 60s and 80s.
    People call me a hipster because I listen to bands they've never heard of, but I don't want those bands to be obscure! I'd like to be able to go to public places without hearing garbage blaring over the speakers, and maybe have a friend or two that I could discuss music with.

"if there's a song about an ant crawling up your back at a phone number in Brooklyn, how bad a place can the world be?" -Sarah Vowell
    • xFOSSAx said...
    • User
    • 10 Jan 2011, 18:42
    i don't like what's going on with pop music. the sound is completely different than even 15 years ago. there's also too much vulgar sexuality which i've found disgusting and it's pretty hard to me to distinguish one artist from another. the repeatability is unfortunately in common.

why join the crowd?
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 12 Jan 2011, 21:23
    I agree with the message above.

I first got into the 1980's by watching "Every Number 1 of the 80s" I loved the fact that there was variation, it wasn't the same genres, the videos were actually creative, and the same for the songs. There was some samish stuff and stuff I didn't like, but that would happen in any decade to be honest, it just seems that it is more extreme now.

• I dislike the fact that almost every artist/band on the radio sounds the same yet they claim to be 'original'. I don't all of today's music, just what they play on the radio.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 16 Jan 2011, 22:03
    dislike how they all sound identical, i hear people raving about new pop songs and i'm like "i can't tell the difference". also how as soon as it's 3 months old it's "ancient!"

and as a professionally trained singer, AUTO-FUCKIN-TUNE

• Actually there are still a lot good musicians and bands in today's music. But I'm a fan of originality so it's my nature to find the origins. Hahaha...

What I like the most about older music... I think they're more intellectual in terms of creating images, lyrics, music and overall performances. There's a very exciting, raw attitude attached to them... I mean like, no today's punk bands have The Clash's, or Ramones, or Sex Pistols' (or name it here) coolness... no female singer as sexy as Debbie Harry and such and such

• Reasons Why Music Now Sucks

1. It's more about looks now than having a good voice.
    2. Most musicans these days can barely play their instrument.
    3. The dreaded use of auto-tune.
    4.Big labels don't care about the music, just the money (not really a new point but i think it's worse now).
    5.MTV it basically ruined the industry by making music more about the image than the sound and only playing top 40 hits rather than introducing anything new.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 5 Feb 2011, 20:15
    I hate that there is soo many bands and musicians (and many of them are good), so i can't listen to all of this stuff :P, and of course, if you have lot of something, there is higher probability that you will find something shitty ..

• What I dislike is the majority of young people's attitude towards music. They don't seem to care about the music itself, just about how hot the artist is, or how popular the artist is. It seems like popular music isn't ALLOWED to have any meaning or anything below the surface, it all has to be catchy and all the lyrics about having fun or just very shallow love songs. Bands/singers don't even have to have any talent, it's all about the image and about marketing them towards young people who will just jump on the bandwagon because EVERYONE likes them. And because EVERYONE thinks they're hot, cute etc. not because the "artist" is talented! *facepalm* SO many young people wouldn't even know good music if it slapped them in the face! They don't care! Oh well...

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.