• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 11 Feb 2008, 16:38
    Oooh, I thought of another obscure band I like, mostly because I was rediscovering their greatness yesterday: Cardiacs! Some of you might remember me mentioning them on the Forced Listening Thread ages ago with this video:

click (it can't be embedded)

I was completely intrigued by it, and my very kind friend Tom179 sent me their album A Little Man and a House and the Whole World Window a few months ago, and I've been really loving them ever since. Their music is probably the craziest thing I've ever heard, since they make up a one-band "genre" known as "pronk," as in prog + punk. But they've got a kind of odd catchiness in their manic energy that makes me want to flail around the room, and I just can't resist lines like "Firstly, there's a spider in here/Secondly, he has the right of way" that they put in their songs.

Despite my vehement hatred for Rush and their cronies, I think Cardiacs might make me reconsider my opinion of prog—although I would still vastly prefer the more crazy, spazzy variety as opposed to the lumbering 20-minute "epics" about wizards and trolls.

• Do Talulah Gosh count as obscure?

• Yes, I think so. I still haven't listened to anything by Talulah Gosh. Yet. But that will change.

• I can send you some if you like? I only have one studio recording though... The others are Peel Sessions.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 12 Feb 2008, 20:19
    I mentioned Talulah Gosh a while back on this thread, they're fantastic!

I've got their entire discography (it's compiled on the Backwash compilation) if either of you want it. =)

• Oh, that would be excellent. =]

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 16 Feb 2008, 06:48
    CarsCat said:
    click (it can't be embedded)

THAT WAS AWESOME. And pretty much the spazziest thing I've seen/heard, ever. It's up there, anyway. And... strange. Very strange.

I should probably snag that Cardiacs album from TWDLE. I don't care much for prog (though a few Talking Heads/Who/Bowie albums get branded as prog - I don't hear it. I'm alright with Pink Floyd occasionally. Buuuut... I guess I'm okay with anything that isn't along the lines of Yes or Rush...)

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 16 Feb 2008, 22:25
    Oh nooooo, it's NOTHING like Rush. No billy-goat-on-helium voices, though there is a bit of falsetto. It's just the craziest, most wacked-out thing I've ever heard, but it's catchy in a strange way too. You probably should listen to A Little Man And A House first as it's more accessible, but if you're not afraid to dive right in and get Sing To God, go ahead!

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 1 Apr 2008, 21:03
    are Japan obscure? if so, i think they're my favorite obscure band.

hey, i'd really like to hear some Talulah Gosh, *hint hint*

• CarsCat
    I was completely intrigued by it, and my very kind friend Tom179Their music is probably the craziest thing I've ever heard, since they make up a one-band "genre" known as "pronk," as in prog + punk. .

That sounds like the worst thing ever, cool song though, their sorta strange hybird of devo, madness and split enz

and the craziest thing ever is the song "Very Friendly" by Throbbing Gristle, no wonder the album (The first Annual report of Throbbing Gristle) wasn't release till like 2000, all i can say.. IAN BRADY VERY FRIENDLY

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 2 Apr 2008, 19:13
    IanCurtis13 said:

and the craziest thing ever is the song "Very Friendly" by Throbbing Gristle, no wonder the album (The first Annual report of Throbbing Gristle) wasn't release till like 2000, all i can say.. IAN BRADY VERY FRIENDLY

is it even worse than Slug Bait? i hated those lyrics

• Slug Bait is great and do you know who Ian Brady is?

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 3 Apr 2008, 10:24
    i think i do, wasn't he an english serial killer or something like that? can't remember much about him but i certainly remember his iconic wife, the one with a soft B-52's hairstyle, if that's her?

• Ian Brady was a neo-nazi child killer and he also raped some of the children he killed.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 3 Apr 2008, 21:43
    IanCurtis13 said:
    CarsCat
    I was completely intrigued by it, and my very kind friend Tom179Their music is probably the craziest thing I've ever heard, since they make up a one-band "genre" known as "pronk," as in prog + punk. .

That sounds like the worst thing ever, cool song though, their sorta strange hybird of devo, madness and split enz

I did say "that I've ever heard"...I really don't like industrial. =/

Anywho, you should still probably investigate Sing To God, the last album of theirs I heard. Yes, it's got a good dose of psychedelia and progginess and basically everything a post-punk enthusiast would hate, but it's absolutely glorious. It shattered a lot of my musical stereotypes. At the very least, listen to "Dog-Like Sparky," which has already established itself as one of my favorite songs ever.

• mrjoe said...
    • User
    • 5 Apr 2008, 03:51
    The most obscure I can immediately think of is Linton Kwesi Johnson, although he's not terribly obscure, at least not in Dub circles I imagine. Nor is he a band, to be pedantic.

I'd be very surprised if he didn't much of an influence on The Clash using the dub sound, along with Lee "Scratch" Perry. His lyrics are very anti-fascist, not to mention All Wi Doin Is Defendin, written before The Guns of Brixton was about the possibility of a riot in Brixton.

• 2 of dad's alltime favourite artists, Guns Of Brixton is NOT about riots in Brixton, it's about how everyone in Brixton is pissed about how they are getting treated and all the cops shooting everyone, it's about the feelings of people in Brixton during that time and he is one of The Clash's biggest influences, remember they did Police & Thieves on their first album.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 3 May 2008, 09:02
    like, Our Daughters Wedding is so lame but hawt

• Metropak,Orange Juice,Josef K,The Clean,Scars,Artery,Blue Orchids,etc...

• Yesss to Orange Juice. I love them and think they're horribly underrated.

• Not entirely sure of Orange Juice being obscure seeing as my English teacher likes them. However annoying she is she does appear to have good music taste as she also likes the VU.

• I despise Orange Juice because I hate pretty much all that "new pop" (Simon Reynolds is the overrated writer on the planet, what the fuck is NEW POP?, it's a total bullshit term, some goes for pronk)... the only bands from that "scene" are The Associates (who are overrated) and Fire Engines (who to be honest are more like proto Jesus & Mary Chain but were thrown in with those bands) and the music in that scene were soooo bland.

I hate "Rip It Up and Start Again : Post-Punk 78 to 82" because firstly Post-Punk lasted more till 1990 with The Bunnymen, Chameleons, Jesus & Mary Chain, Banshees, PiL etc., he is extremely bias writer who bashed Magazine, doesn't know a fucking thing about the San Francisco scene and my parents told me all about it, they were in the heart of it and he goes on and on about "new pop" and how it was post-punk post Ian Curtis' suicide which is the biggest load of bullshit ever, did any post-punk fans at the time like Orange Juice? I don't think so...

• Ian, you're entitled to your opinion and you can say you hate Orange Juice and that Simon Reynolds doesn't know what he's talking about and that you're not too keen on the Associates either but PLEASE don't call the Associates overrated. Because you know it's not true. How often do you hear music critics talking about how great the Associates were? How often do you hear people (other than myself) rambling on about how "Sulk" is a masterpiece? Practically never! So whether you like them or not, I really don't think that "overrated" is the appropriate adjective...

"Rip it Up and Start Again" is biased and I was irritated by the Magazine bashing too, but on the plus side it introduced me to quite a few bands who I probably wouldn't have investigated otherwise.

• Well, I knew all the bands by the time I read the first half (I couldn't even finish it, it was THAT bad even about stuff I like) and by The San Francisco chapter which is the biggest load of bullshit ever, he DOES NOT know what is talking about Flipper, The Residents etc., he is upper class twat with his head up his ass and I know this because the music journalist knows him and The Associates have there fans, it's not like Wall Of Voodoo who NEVER get written about by anybody and some day i will write the real history of post-punk

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 12 May 2008, 21:09
    All genre labels are pretty much bullshit terms. :\

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.