bands everyone loves and you HATE

 
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 1 Aug 2007, 11:50

    bands everyone loves and you HATE

    The beatles
    Radiohead
    Queen
    Nirvana
    Interpol
    bob Dylan
    U2
    Oasis
    Morrissey (not The Smiths though)
    The White Stripes

    Edited by a deleted user on 22 Sep 2007, 18:54
  • Radiohead aren't that bad. They're overrated, but not bad .

    The only band that you've listed there that I really really hate are Oasis - everyone else I'm either neutral about or quite like. The Beatles, Radiohead, Bob Dylan and The White Stripes...I'm not obsessive about any of them, but I've listened to a fair amount by them.

    There aren't any bands that I really really hate, although I do sort of loathe Oasis. I can't think of any examples off-hand...

    It's a more a case of thinking bands are overrated than really hating them.

    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 1 Aug 2007, 18:51
    well i'm a angry young man
    and your a neutral young woman

    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 1 Aug 2007, 19:40
    I would have to disagree with you on several of those bands Ian, however, you have my full backing with Queen. I think they are SHIT and completely unnecessary and we would have all got by musically with no problems without them!

    Also, I loathe U2! I just don't understand why they are held up as heroes...they make very average music and most people look at you like you have two heads for saying this out loud.

    I would like to add to the list, Fleetwood Mac, Wings, The Eagles, ELO...I won't even get started, but I do really really dislike this type of music!

  • U2 are decidedly average. If we lived in a world where no one loved them, then I wouldn't mind, but the sheer number of people who rave on about them is appalling. It's one of the reasons I gave up reading Q - every issue rambling on about how Bono was God.

    They're just so bland. I know they're different, but I always put them in the same kind of category as Coldplay and Keane and their ilk...too dull for words. Music so boring it's hardly there at all!

    I would like to add to the list, Fleetwood Mac, Wings, The Eagles, ELO...I won't even get started, but I do really really dislike this type of music!

    Agreed!

    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 1 Aug 2007, 21:38
    Rush. If you know me at all, you know that I loathe this band more than any other. Seriously, with Geddy Lee's billy-goat-on-helium voice and the overblown, overlong instrumentation, their music could seriously be used for torturing prisoners. It absolutely baffles me why so many people love them with an almost cultish devotion. And their rabid fans are really moronic and jerkish; I've had to run into a few in my day. Ugh.

    The freaking Smiths. Meat Is Murder is good, but everything else...gahhhhh. Their music is just very weak and anemic if you ask me, and it quite frankly bores me to death. And some of Morrissey's lyrics are funny--but unintentionally so in a hilariously bad sort of way. And it doesn't help that Moz himself is a massive jerk. Sometimes I just want to take a hatchet to the head of everyone on RYM who gives The Queen Is Dead five stars, since that might just be the most obscenely overrated album in the history of humanity.

    The Smashing Pumpkins--Again, with Billy Corgan and his enormous ego, it's hard for me to like them. 99% of the time, I just can't like any band whose singer is an ass. And I think I listened to Siamese Dream ONCE all the way through when I bought it...since I was at a point where I didn't want to regret any of my purchases, I said it was good "space-out music," which is basically a euphemism for boring, overly long, pretentious, whiny crap. I then tried shuffling it in, but that didn't help either. Now I just can't stand them, and when I heard "Disarm" not too long ago I thought, "Oh god, why did I ever pretend to like this?!"

    Modest Mouse--I just don't find anything interesting at all about them. Yawn.

    Sufjan Stevens--I felt almost compelled to like him since he did an album about my home state, but I grew to realize that he never really clicked with me. Not to mention that all his stupid little under-a-minute "songs" totally screwed with my shuffle.

    I'm with you on Radiohead, Interpol and U2. Radiohead gives me a massive headache; Interpol has ludicrous lyrics and a singer that sounds like a goat (albeit one not on helium); and U2 has a handful of decent songs--I still like "Pride (In The Name Of Love" and "I Will Follow"--but otherwise it's just sanctimoniousness out the wazoo. And unfortunately, American magazines are just as guilty of Bono worship, especially Rolling Stone.

    However, I must say that Queen and ELO have some good songs. You just can't hate Bohemian Rhapsody or Don't Bring Me Down, or else you are quite possibly soulless.

    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 1 Aug 2007, 22:44
    Consider me soulless then! I also sadly have to disagree with you on The Smiths aswell, although I agree on some of the lyrics and the fact that 'Morrissey is a joke'. However, musically, they are very special, especially Johnny Marr's guitar work is amazing and perfectly captures the tone and mood of each and every song, it creates an overwhelming effect on the listener (or maybe just me...)

    I'm going to go out on a limb and shock people by saying that I think New Order are ridiculously over-rated. I'm a huge fan of Joy Division, I think they create powerful, passionate and captivating music, so I find it very hard to see why New Order went so drastically wrong...I just think it's cheesy rubbish!

  • rabidoveryou said:
    The only band that you've listed there that I really really hate are Oasis


    Oasis have a few good songs and are good in theory (a band with a frontman trying to be a cross between John Lennon and John Lydon) but apart from that I despise them and everything they stand for.

    • sls said...
    • User
    • 2 Aug 2007, 07:13
    CarsCat said:
    Modest Mouse--I just don't find anything interesting at all about them. Yawn.


    Let me guess, you've listened to either of their last two albums? I'd think the same thing too. I'd really give This Is A Long Drive... or The Lonesome Crowded West a listen if you haven't already.

    Anyway. I concur with Queen and Nirvana. I actually enjoy a track or two by them, but they got way too much credit for not really doing anything interesting.

  • The freaking Smiths. Meat Is Murder is good, but everything else...gahhhhh. Their music is just very weak and anemic if you ask me, and it quite frankly bores me to death. And some of Morrissey's lyrics are funny--but unintentionally so in a hilariously bad sort of way. And it doesn't help that Moz himself is a massive jerk. Sometimes I just want to take a hatchet to the head of everyone on RYM who gives The Queen Is Dead five stars, since that might just be the most obscenely overrated album in the history of humanity.

    While I think that The Smiths /are/ slightly overrated, I still like them. I'm not sure that they deserve all the mountains of praise they get, but I'm fond of them, in a way. There are a few songs of theirs that I listen to quite obsessively ("What Difference Does it Make?", "Stop Me If You've Heard This One Before", "This Charming Man", "Sheila Take a Bow").

    Although I haven't got round to buying The Queen is Dead yet (hmm), I have to disagree with you that it's the most obscenely overrated album in the history of humanity.

    Without a doubt, the most obscenely overrated album in the history of humanity is OK Computer. :P

    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 2 Aug 2007, 11:31
    i LOVE "Panic" and the album "The Queen Is Dead" and there self titled album, i've always found "Meat Is Murder" is there weakest and i love pretty much all the singles except a few

    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 2 Aug 2007, 16:36
    CarsCat said:
    Rush. If you know me at all, you know that I loathe this band more than any other. Seriously, with Geddy Lee's billy-goat-on-helium voice and the overblown, overlong instrumentation, their music could seriously be used for torturing prisoners. It absolutely baffles me why so many people love them with an almost cultish devotion. And their rabid fans are really moronic and jerkish; I've had to run into a few in my day. Ugh.

    The freaking Smiths. Meat Is Murder is good, but everything else...gahhhhh. Their music is just very weak and anemic if you ask me, and it quite frankly bores me to death. And some of Morrissey's lyrics are funny--but unintentionally so in a hilariously bad sort of way. And it doesn't help that Moz himself is a massive jerk. Sometimes I just want to take a hatchet to the head of everyone on RYM who gives The Queen Is Dead five stars, since that might just be the most obscenely overrated album in the history of humanity.

    The Smashing Pumpkins--Again, with Billy Corgan and his enormous ego, it's hard for me to like them. 99% of the time, I just can't like any band whose singer is an ass. And I think I listened to Siamese Dream ONCE all the way through when I bought it...since I was at a point where I didn't want to regret any of my purchases, I said it was good "space-out music," which is basically a euphemism for boring, overly long, pretentious, whiny crap. I then tried shuffling it in, but that didn't help either. Now I just can't stand them, and when I heard "Disarm" not too long ago I thought, "Oh god, why did I ever pretend to like this?!"

    Modest Mouse--I just don't find anything interesting at all about them. Yawn.

    Sufjan Stevens--I felt almost compelled to like him since he did an album about my home state, but I grew to realize that he never really clicked with me. Not to mention that all his stupid little under-a-minute "songs" totally screwed with my shuffle.

    I'm with you on Radiohead, Interpol and U2. Radiohead gives me a massive headache; Interpol has ludicrous lyrics and a singer that sounds like a goat (albeit one not on helium); and U2 has a handful of decent songs--I still like "Pride (In The Name Of Love" and "I Will Follow"--but otherwise it's just sanctimoniousness out the wazoo. And unfortunately, American magazines are just as guilty of Bono worship, especially Rolling Stone.

    However, I must say that Queen and ELO have some good songs. You just can't hate Bohemian Rhapsody or Don't Bring Me Down, or else you are quite possibly soulless.



    Hahaha, my brother /loves/ Rush Cat.
    I agree with all of those except Modest Mouse, I think, because I quite like them every now and again.
    They've done some good stuff.

  • I sort of hate everything I've heard by Michael Jackson, but that probably isn't unusual, is it?

    If anyone's looking for inspiration, you can view RYM's "Top Albums of All-time" list here. Personally, I don't think The Beatles deserve the top spot. :/

    I'm also /appalled/ that Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields Forever is the "best single ever" (according to another RYM list).

    Penny Lane is...shit. I like Strawberry Fields Forever, but when I think of all the brilliant songs that are hundreds of places below Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields Forever, it makes me feel quite angry. :(

  • Michael Jackson may be completely crackers but he has written some very good songs. The Jackson 5 were better than his solo stuff though.

    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 2 Aug 2007, 22:26
    100% with you for queen and the beatles. also the beach boys, panic at the disco and fall out boy. not that everyone loves the last two, just thought it had to be said that they suck big fat donkey choad.

    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 3 Aug 2007, 01:46
    i really like The beach boys, they are really dark

  • Oh no, I like The Beach Boys. Not a rabid fan or anything, but they're so nice and summery and mmm. Although I do prefer The Zombies.

  • Gotta agree about Sufjan Stevens, I've tried getting into him because he's similar to quite a few artists I listen to but I just can't and his songs are pretty forgettable after you've listened to them. He's the type of music my old best friend used to listen to but he lost all credibility with me when he became vegan then stopped again wasn't it the in thing to do and told me I have no taste because I can't stand The Kooks; the vocals just grate me and they sound like a poor version of Razorlight, and they're not that great either.

    Anyway, my nominations are -

    Tool
    The Who
    Pixies

  • Aha, I've thought of one.

    THE POGUES.

    I haven't heard that much by them, but I don't think I want to. Every time I hear one of their songs my first instinct is to literally run away. And Shane MacGowan's teeth terrify me. :(

    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 3 Aug 2007, 21:06
    I have to disagree, there's something about The Pogues which I find very appealing, just listening to them, especially songs such as 'Streams of Whiskey' and 'Sally MacLennane' just give that unbeatable impression of a proper knees-up in an old style Irish tavern somewhere, whilst the more sombre stuff like 'A Rainy Night in Soho' and 'Dirty Old Town' have an amazing sense of beauty about them, despite the fact that the lyrics are delivered by a toothless, middle-aged alcoholic! Strange that...

    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 3 Aug 2007, 21:14
    I just put on the Q Music channel with the small hope that they would be playing something different and who was I greeted with?...Foo Fighters!!! Is it just me or are these quite possibly one of the most over-rated bands of our time? They make the most boring, middle-of-the-road, we'll-settle-for-average-cos-no-doubt-enough-people-will-be-conned-into-buying-our-music-anyway music going! In my view they are not a shade better than other mediocre, we're not trying to be Nirvana...honest bands like Puddle of Mudd and Nickleback!

  • They have some pretty good songs I think. Brilliant live too.

    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 3 Aug 2007, 23:06
    The Pogues are great

  • No, still not convinced by The Pogues, I'm afraid. If anyone wants to bombard me with YouTube links then I'll give them a go, but I've found that I prefer Irish music that doesn't actually sound that Irish. Which sounds like a really stupid thing to say, but I can't explain it.

    I don't really have an opinion of the Foo Fighters one way or another, but that sort of music doesn't really attract me that much anyway. I never warmed to Nirvana either.

    And ha, your mention of Puddle of Mudd made me feel all nostalgic. Bizarrely, I bought their album when I was still in my boy-band phase (ie: listening to Busted). I don't know what that says about Puddle of Mudd... ;)

    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 4 Aug 2007, 16:04
    Kim sent me a mix for my birthday and one of the songs was by The Pogues, and all I could think was, "This sounds like my grandpa's folk music on uppers." Not really my thing.

    And meh, Puddle of Mudd is incredibly grating, but I did realize to my abject horror that songs like Sum 41's "Fat Lip" and Good Charlotte's "The Anthem" have the ability to make me feel nostalgic. Yeah, it's stupid juvenile pop-punk trash, and I liked that stuff during one of the most idiotic times of my life, but still.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.