Your All-Time Favorite Song

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 19 Nov 2006, 05:24

Your All-Time Favorite Song

Since I FINALLY (!!!) found the super-rare video for mine, I thought this would be a great place for everyone to share their all-time favorite songs. So, what is it, and why? And if you have any sort of video or a link to the song, that would be really great.

If you've ever looked at my stats at all, it's clear to see that the song I adore above all others is Panorama. It is, in a word, orgasmic. It starts out with a few drum thumps, works up with some guitar reverb, and for the next 5 minutes is a veritable explosion of raygun synths, whirlpool guitars, and Ocasek's manic wail, and it all blends together very beautifully. By the end, a frenetic drum flurry gives way to one of the best guitar solos ever, in my opinion. The lyrics are very quirky but creative..."I'm gonna get myself in trouble/But I take my chances if I break your bubble"...and I think it fits the mood of the music like a glove. It's just so perfect, it makes the breath hitch in my throat every time I hear it.

Listen/watch here:

A few seconds of the beginning are cut off, but otherwise it's all right. Neat video, although it kind of randomly ends with Ocasek in a fetal position in midair, weird. The primitive quality adds to the charm, if you ask me.

• Yes, Panorama's great. :)

I'm sorry for choosing such an obvious song as my all-time favourite, but I can't pretend.

Oh, and please don't comment on Dave's hair. YES he looks like a skunk, but he's also incredibly attractive. Besides, this must have been filmed circa 1986 and everyone had bad hair then.

It's uplifting, it's beautiful, it's completely over the top, and the vocals are orgasmic. Quite simply, it's the perfect pop song.

I love the fact that they've got a whole orchestra playing there. And to think - just a decade beforehand they were punk! Quite a change from Neat Neat Neat, eh?

• Oh how on earth can you choose an all time favourite!

It's impossible for me.

• I've been obsessed with Eloise since I was about ten or eleven, and it's the only song that makes me feel emotional every time. Quite easily. Although I feel bad about neglecting The Velvet Underground, Roxy Music, and all my other favourite Damned songs.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 19 Nov 2006, 20:51
    Alex, I think Eloise is great too! Although the first time I heard it I thought it sounded like a show tune, ha.

Panorama wasn't always my favorite song or even my favorite Cars song; for a very long time Just What I Needed held both those posts. (although I still really, really like Just What I Needed) The first time I heard Panorama—on vinyl, no less—I was intrigued by it but I was also thinking, "What the hell? This sounds like prog." But it grew on me very fast, and when I went away to camp in the summer of 2005 I found myself listening to it obsessively. Eventually it became more than an obsession, and well, now it's my favorite song. =)

• My favorite song of all time would have to be Fall - Editors. There's so much passion in it, and the line "These dark pubs we drink in somehow light up when I'm with you." really hit a chord (heh, no pun intended) with me.

The edge of night, distract yourself
    Obstacles don't work
    Homogenize, decentralize
    It's just a quirk
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 21 Nov 2006, 04:32
    Got a video, Holly?

• Wow, never heard anything by the Cars or the Damned (to my recollection, at least) before this thread - Excellente stuff :D

As for me, it's this specific version of Israel by Siouxsie & the Banshees. The studio version doesn't even touch this one (that can be found lurking at the start of Nocturne), especially with the overblown introduction put in front of it.

Souless wage-slave, Music Advice Center. We Sell Sanctuary.
  • Eloise isn't typical Damned, by the way. Glad you like it, but don't be surprised if you hear other songs by them and wonder why they sound completely different!

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 23 Nov 2006, 02:43
    Actually, same with Panorama. The whole Panorama album is quite different from the rest of their output. But that's a good thing...there's never been a good band who made the same album over and over *cough*Creed*cough*

• The poor quality makes it rather hard to hear, Cat, but from what I can tell, tis a good song.
    And I wouldn't have said it was very proggy at all. It's just longer than your average pop song. (Not that there's anything wrong with prog - some of it is rather nice.) Just What I Needed is a classic too.

As for Eloise, Alex converted me too that quite a while ago. Even though it's so cheesy and 80's-ish. You see I used to be as predjudiced against 80's music as Cat is against prog - but I'm coming to accept that it wasn't all as bad as I thought. Eloise is a super song, although I do get funny looks if I play it when other people are in the room...

As for my all-time favourite song... I don't think I have one. The music I love is so diverse and changable that it's really quite hard to pin it down.
    But I think for now (if my comparitively sparsely populated charts are anything to go by) I would have to go with Funkadelic's 'Can You Get To That' because of it's beautiful complex simplicity and its multi-layered vocals that somehow make you feel part of it and the oh-so-deep voice of whichever one of the origional Parliaments it is that does that bit that always makes you smile and the way it just oozes soul and humanity.
    Yes. I think that's why I love it.
    Have a listen:

Here.

Do YOU love the BBC (at least in theory, even if you disapprove of some of its actions) and, in particular, BBC radio 4? Then join my group: We love the BBC (at least in theory, even if we disapprove of some of its actions) and, in particular, BBC radio 4 !
  • Yeah...other people tend to be a bit alarmed by Eloise if they don't know what it is. It's also the song that older, more punk-orientated Damned fans are annoyed by.

I'll listen to the Funkadelic song when family members aren't wandering in and out of the room. They can be nosey...

• SmithBJ said...
    • User
    • 26 Nov 2006, 11:50
    Well, it has to be either something by Nirvana (it's all so different yet so good) or Love will Tear us Apart by (of course) Joy Division, just because i can listen to that song any time any place. My current listening patterns wouldn't explain much of my past but as i said in the little section about me...my dad has influenced most of my listening, if it wasn't for him i'd be listening to the modern rap, "R'n'B" (someone tell me where the rythm and blue are in some of the shit they're making these days) and "hip hop". Unlike my friends, at least i think Springsteen can sing.This question is a right "toughy" but LWTUA by Joy Division is just AWESOME.

x's

• Love Will Tear Us Apart is a good choice, although it's not my favourite Joy Division song.

• I'm still adamant that you lot are weird lol.

How can you choose a favourite song when there is so much good music out there! arsgdfgdfhdhdhhssjkfabdkabgksbfskfbaskfbafsfs

Sorry about that. *composes self*

• I'm still adamant that you lot are weird lol.

How can you choose a favourite song when there is so much good music out there! arsgdfgdfhdhdhhssjkfabdkabgksbfskfbaskfbafsfs

Sorry about that. *composes self*

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 26 Nov 2006, 18:55
    Heh, don't worry, my thoughts are the same.

I just, I couldn't! I love too many songs just about equal...

• it could be lots of songs, i listen too much music to actually do that.

but in my mind there are...

mc5 - looking at you
    violent femmes - (all first album)
    smiths - there is a light that never goes out
    the cure - (lots of)
    faith no more - epic
    lots of coltrane tracks and joy division...

waah, can't choose, no.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 27 Nov 2006, 03:57
    I thought I'd do the top three most meaningful to me songs

David Bowie - Cygnet Committee
    Don McLean - American Pie
    Scott McKenzie - San Francisco (Be Sure To Wear Flowers In Your Hair)

The last one is reflective of the time I wish I'd lived in and experienced first hand. The second one expresses the sentiments I feel about the music I listen to. And the first one... has that air of resignation and cynicism toward the here and now that I can relate to.

• If I had too choose a second all time favourite song (I know there's no such thing, but never mind), it would have to be The Velvet Underground's Venus In Furs. Then Roxy Music's Mother Of Pearl.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 27 Nov 2006, 22:00
    I don't really know what my second all-time favorite song is, but I have a few good nominees for that position:

Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels) by The Arcade Fire
    I Am Trying To Break Your Heart by Wilco
    Lazy Line Painter Jane by Belle and Sebastian
    A Song For Europe by Roxy Music

I think I have a thing for long, epic-sounding songs.

• Friday I'm in Love

I know, there are a lot of Cure songs that are better than this, blah blah... but this is magical to me. This was the song that made me fall in love with The Cure (not hte first one I heard, the first one was Alt. End i think) and made me realize there was more music besides all MTV crap wich I was already starting to hate (ironically, I saw the video on MTV or a channel of that kind). It's just soo happy and hypnotizing, I could listen to it forever...

It would be a very long list for second all time favorites.

Oh, and Panorama rocks :D.

• Yes, Lazy Line Painter Jane. That was the first Belle & Sebastian song I heard, I think, and it's still my favourite. Good choice for having A Song For Europe as your Roxy song, too.

Friday I'm In Love just randomly came up on my last.fm player. It's not my favourite Cure song, but I can understand why you'd feel like that about it. I imagine it's your version of Eloise - uplifting pop that gives you a warm, fuzzy feeling every time you hear it.

• I think I have a thing for long, epic-sounding songs.

That's it, Cat: I'm going to try and convert you to prog.
    I now listen to 80's synth-based pop becasue of you.
    Now it's your turn.

Do YOU love the BBC (at least in theory, even if you disapprove of some of its actions) and, in particular, BBC radio 4? Then join my group: We love the BBC (at least in theory, even if we disapprove of some of its actions) and, in particular, BBC radio 4 !
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 29 Nov 2006, 03:45
    Hoo boy. *This* should be interesting. O_O

(And it wasn't all me! Alex helped...she should join me in this "experiment!")

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.