Famous books that i didn't liked...

• Ham on Rye, by Charles Bukowski.

Ugh it's not really a bad book, but during the time I was reading it I always had the feeling it doesn't have a heart. Too raw.

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself; and if you gaze too long into the abyss, the abyss will gaze into you.
    • Schkatz said...
    • User
    • 14 Feb 2012, 19:50
    Nausea by J.P. Sartre

That's really weird, because other writings by Sartre i really enjoyed, mostly short novels and some plays. But Nausea made me feel somewhat strange. I didn't even finished that book. I didin't believed any single word I read, an I fealt so guilty. It seemed to me like one big fake. And that was so depressing. At least name of the book is perfect. :)

• East of Eden, by Steinbeck.

I can't describe what it was, the attempt to read it. It was.. painful. I kinda enjoyed his writing style and, in the same time, hated it. Left the book about 50 pages before its end, because I just couldn't take anymore.

Twilight.

One big wannabe-bestseller piece of junk. Disgraces every good vampire story. And no idea behind it. There was but one good thing that came from reading it - now I can say it's a piece of junk without fifty thousand screamers to tell me I don't understand anything :D

niemand kann dich so verletzen wie der, den du liebst.
  • Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. I tried to love it, but for some reason, I can't.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 18 Feb 2012, 20:15
    Le Petit Prince (The Little Prince) by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

• Twilight
    Wicked
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
    probably lots more just can't remember.

->Don't have one yet<-
  • I really disliked To Kill a Mockingbird. The segments of the novel that dealt with racial tension were pretty cool, but I didn't care about that kid Scout. It's just an overrated book because it appeals to progressive sympathies.

• twilight.

Normal is overrated.
    • Tyetth said...
    • User
    • 28 Feb 2012, 21:57
    Off all the classics, I found Anna Karenina by Tolstoy quite boring.

"I felt myself melting into the shadow like the negative of a person I`d never seen before in my life."
  • Ulysses by James Joyce, cause of different humour and lots of wasted time.

"Jetzt inhaltlich: Meiner Meinung nach kann man die komplette sogenannte Kapitalismuskritik von rechts,
    also die Kritik an Heuschrecken, Ruf nach einem nationalen Protektionismus etc, auf den selten dummen Satz: "als Deutscher steht es mir zu, von einem Deutschen ausgebeutet zu werden" reduzieren." (Das Känguru Manifest)
    Remember Caturday >^..^< --- punk traditionalists
  • I don't like E. A. Poe's poetry. I know so many people are mad about it, but it's not really my cup of tea. And I really didn't like Romeo and Juliet. It's not Shakespeare in general, he's ok, but that one was just terrible and I'd say it's the most overrated work ever written.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 7 Aug 2012, 14:01
    Defintely Twilight and anything by Stephen King. It's something in King's style that I can't stand.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 18 Aug 2012, 23:16
    I dislike Gogol's work, it's just to dry for me in a way. I find Russian literature difficult to percieve in general, but his work in particular does nothing for me. People who swear by him tell me that I haven't "grown" enough to understand him and I partially hope they're right because I would really be glad to understand his style.

• eg0x said...
    • User
    • 3 Sep 2012, 00:46
    Interview with the Vampire

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 5 Sep 2012, 20:57
    The Scarlet Letter, mostly because I couldn't understand what was going on.

• Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf.

To be perfectly honest, I've never enjoyed reading Woolf at all, but that was the first I read by her and perhaps the bad taste left from that experience is too strong to get over until a long time has past.

• Tyetth said:

Russian classics are indeed, mostly, very boring. How comes they've become so famous? Or maybe I am not mature enough to enjoy it?

• kazunobu-kun sagte:
    Der Vorleser by Bernhard Schlink, I just hate it.

E L James: Shades of Grey
    this is realy bad
    the pore paper wher is stand on......

Auf den Gipfeln der sanft ansteigenden Hügel fällt der Schnee ruhig und ich erkenne, dass sich mein Wunsch nicht erfüllt. Eine der Blumen, die du so sehr liebtest, ist nun in deinem Zimmer...Von jetzt an stehe ich allein am Fenster und betrachte nichts als den Schnee, während ich mich an dich erinnere. Durch die Scheibe hindurch lass ich dich erscheinen und gebe dir einen letzten Kuss... Komm Lächle, Weine nicht mehr... dies war die letzt Farbe der Jahreszeiten die du sahst. Tränen fallen. [blühte eine einzige Blume an Straßenrand Wenn ich zum Himmel heraufblicke, fließt der letzte Schnee meine Handfläche hinab] by Dir en grey (teile aus Ain't Afraid to Die)
  • Fifty shades of Grey. The most annoying book I've ever read.

• irk_bitig said:
    Tyetth said:

Russian classics are indeed, mostly, very boring. How comes they've become so famous? Or maybe I am not mature enough to enjoy it?

Russian literature is difficult and complex, but not boring. A few years ago I tried reading Anna Karenina and stopped after 100 pages, but now I look forward to re-reading and finishing it. I guess it just takes time to finally understand and appreciate a good book.
    Oh, and also most Russian writers are brilliant :) you'll understand that one day.

• OmgItsNele said:
    irk_bitig said:
    Tyetth said:

Russian literature is difficult and complex, but not boring. A few years ago I tried reading Anna Karenina and stopped after 100 pages, but now I look forward to re-reading and finishing it. I guess it just takes time to finally understand and appreciate a good book.
    Oh, and also most Russian writers are brilliant :) you'll understand that one day.

Of all the Russian writers I've enjoyed the recent ones (20th and 21st century). Such as братья Стругацкие or Дмитрий Глуховский. :)

• Catcher in the Rye...Maybe I would have liked it if I read it when I was 16, but by the time I really got around to it, it just wasn't my sort of thing.

1984...I didn't think it was nearly as prophetic or accurate as it's made out to be. It relies on the "Cartoon Villain" theory of government too much. I know it was based on the Soviet Union and Third Reich, which both ran the gambit of cartoon villainy, but that model just isn't effective anymore.

The Old Man and the Sea...I love Hemingway, greatly. But this book was painful, and kind of embarrassing. He turned his beautifully terse prose into self-parody.

"Every life is in many days, day after day. We walk through ourselves, meeting robbers, ghosts, giants, old men, young men, wives, widows, brothers-in-love. But always meeting ourselves."
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 24 Sep 2012, 11:37
    Twilight and Blackwood Farm by Anne Rice (that was crime on Vampire Chronicles).

• War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
    Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

• Faust by Goethe
    It's technically a play, but so damn horrible.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.