how do you keep track of the things you've read?

• ISoS said...
    • User
    • 19 Mar 2010, 14:45
    I can't believe how many people write lists by hand. I use an archival software called "Book Collector". I can catalog my ENTIRE book collection and there's a button inside where you can say "read" or "not read", after you read the book you can even give it a rating! THEN, you can actually extract stats from the program to find out how many books you've read, what's your overall rating etc.

Why do I want this? Because I own over 2,000 books in my own personal library. So yeah... it got to a point where I kind of needed something to help archive my books that I can look at quicker and easier than physically searching for a book. If any other book fanatics are interested here's a link to where I bought the program: www.collectorz.com.

It might be useful for some of the people here. I also use the facebook app for books, mostly because it can show off my "currently reading" list... but I didn't archive my ENTIRE book collection into that program like I did with "Book Collector"

My other half: Anath
    Read Black/Death Metal reviews here!: Subjected to Metal
  • I never used to keep track and I was enjoyable when I'd pick up a book and go 'wait I've read this, it's good!' and reread the whole thing.

My personal library is getting large enough now that I'd like to keep track. Think I might check out the Goodreads people have been recommending.

The Earth? Oh, the Earth will be gone in just a few seconds.
  • Well, I am old-fashioned with my list of books :) I write name of book and author together with some interesting parts of book to a notebook, by hand. I do it for very long time, as from my childhood. It's long list and many papers so I am thinking about some list in MS Excel. But parts from books written by hand have for me some special feeling, I see how my writing is changing by years, I feel why some parts were / are important for me... I think I will still write it by hand :)
    My small library at home is full and I don't have more space so I borrow books from public library.

• I had a shelfari account, but haven't updated it in ages. I just keep track now on a facebook app, but I think I'm going to start a notebook specifically for this - just to make it a bit more personal.

• I use to use good reads, but now I'm lazy, and I don't keep track of books I read. If I really want to remember what books I read, they are on my book shelf for easy access or If they're that great, I'll lend them to a friend, and I usually remember the names of great books.

• I keep track mentally, sometimes I look at my bookshelf to refresh my memory.

• I use LovelyBooks.de, wich is at the moment a site only in german. For all german members it could be a nice solution.

http://www.lovelybooks.de/mitglied/cipher66/

I don't really need something like that with only 119 books at the moment, but I think, it's as interresting as Last.fm here. You can show others what you are reading without let them in your library, show them a list or tell them, which books you have. And it's a good way to find people with same taste in reading... Actually, I'm too lazy to make a handwritten list ;-)

Didn't know good reads before, but it looks very interesting. Maybe I'll take a closer look to it.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 28 Apr 2010, 20:31
    bought the
    Eddings, Tolkien, Rowling, Feist series
    The rest.. i have or i don't keep track of..

• I have an excel file of books I've had and read.

• Warfoki said...
    • User
    • 8 May 2010, 20:38
    I haven't ever made a list. And now I don't now how to start. I've read quite many books and I don't have a lot of them. And I can't remember a lot of them either, only the best ones.

"Hiszen a csoda és valóság között a különbség annyi, hogy a csodának még nem ismerjük az algoritmusát." (Tóth A. Tamás)
    (Rough translation: The only difference between miracle and reality is that we don't know the algorythm of miracle yet.)
  • I just have a pile beside my bed. When it falls over, I start another one.

• It's easy - i don't. Usually i remember what i've read, but if not, then it's time to re-read that book anyway. :P

Dead humans aren't such great engineers. Seriously, I tried to get a dead guy to build something once, and the lazy bum wouldn't even lift a finger.
    • duowolf said...
    • User
    • 6 Jun 2010, 11:49
    I keep a list of all the books I've read and have done since I was 9/10 Nowdays I also use goodreads as it's interesting to see what other people thought of books that I've enjoyed.

• Why would you want to keep a list of everything you have read? Is this to prevent you from reading them again. Would you only listen to a song only once? Each flavour of ice-cream, only once? Every woman, only once? Even movies. Once? No. No. No and No. So why books?

• ISoS said...
    • User
    • 9 Jul 2010, 00:24
    spyguy00 said:
    Why would you want to keep a list of everything you have read? Is this to prevent you from reading them again. Would you only listen to a song only once? Each flavour of ice-cream, only once? Every woman, only once? Even movies. Once? No. No. No and No. So why books?

Because there are so many and I want to read as many as I can. Sometimes I read multiple books on the same subject but different authors.

My other half: Anath
    Read Black/Death Metal reviews here!: Subjected to Metal
  • Hmmm!!! Interesting!! I never thought about keeping track of what i read. May be i should think about it and see.

The Escapist
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 13 Jul 2010, 21:04
    If a book 's good, I'll remember it. But if it's not... it's not even worth remembering....

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 15 Jul 2010, 21:09
    I use Shelfari.

• sanchayan_maity said:
    Hmmm!!! Interesting!! I never thought about keeping track of what i read. May be i should think about it and see.

Dus.
    • wingkon said...
    • User
    • 31 Jul 2010, 17:45
    Goodreads is infinately useful

• Oniren said...
    • User
    • 1 Aug 2010, 03:18
    I prefer Shelfari over the other websites. It's much easier to customize than either Goodreads or LibraryThing (just drag around your shelf) and it looks nicer. Goodreads was especially annoying for me because I would try organize all my books at one time, but only the first few would work each time and other's would get out of order. Very annoying.

"And the lights, Turn them off my friend
    And the ghosts, We'll just let them in
    Cause in the dark, It's easier to see" - When the Crowds Are Gone, Savatage
  • I don't buy my books so I started using 'What should I read next?' online which allows you to just keep a list of what you have read and can recommend books. Not all that useful though.
    I think I will join Shelfari now.

• Sadly, on my facebook page where it asks for my favorite books. Anyway, I'm using Goodreads now, thanks anon.

• Midrel said...
    • User
    • 1 Aug 2010, 21:07
    Narnek said:
    If I have read something and if I start to read it again I recognize it.

Memory.

This. At least for now.

• I use http://books.livingsocial.com/ which is through facebook.

It now became apparent (despite the lack of library paste)/ that something had happened to the vicar;/ guns began to go off in the distance./
Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.