Real book VS eBook

• Real book VS eBook

What do you choose? I prefer the good old fashion book. No matter how heavy and inconvenient it is. I just hate it when I have no choice but to read it digitally and makes my eyes go tired and watery.

• WiTHiNt said...
    • User
    • 18 Sep 2012, 11:46
    Tired and watery eyes ? Use e-ink reader instead of LCD crap :)

“Whoever said money can't buy happiness isn't spending it right.”
  • I heard of i-books, what the fuck are e-books?

• I haven't tried any book readers, my only experience is reading PDFs on my screen, which I absolutely hate. It distorts my vision and makes me see in rows for hours after reading just 30 pages or so. If I ever did get a reader it would be an e-ink reader and NEVER a tablet. I hate reading long passages on a backlit screen. I feel it's torturous while I'm doing it and the after effects are lasting enough to fill me with regret and worry of permanent damage.

A classic book for me. Plus, don't believe the stuff about recycling or that e-readers will prevent trees from being killed. The paper producers of the world are not stupid, nor do they cut into old-growth. They have their own fields and acreages for their paper mills (it takes certain types of pulps to produce the papers we know and love), which they replenish with genetically refined trees of their own, designed to grow faster and denser. Might they fill our landfills? Perhaps, but I don't know ANYBODY who throws away a book. I even keep pamphlets! That's why I avoid pamphlets.

E-readers, on the other hand, require electricity to charge. Whereas paper production has a finite amount of energy used in its production, the charging lifetime of an e-reader is much larger and the resourced used for electrical production in your region may be much worse and less efficient than those used in regions producing paper.

Sorry to lecture like this, I just have heard many people citing earth-friendliness as their reason for switching to e-readers. I just wanted to give an opposing view so as to show that earth-friendliness is subjective and entirely dependent on where you live.

So, I like classic books because,
    1) the act of reading an actual book is comfortable and cozy
    2) the act of reading an actual book doesn't make me feel as though I'm damaging my eyes
    3) I don't like getting involved in a disinformation scene. I like reading.

• @YawnyFlint
    Not at all. In fact I thank you for sharing your knowledge and personal opinion with us. I also share your thoughts on the comfort while reading good ol' books. There are some reading materials that I can't acquire physically though hence I have no choice but to read it via an lcd screen.

@WiTHiNt
    Now for e-ink reader, I haven't heard of it 'till now. I'll definitely check it out. Thanks.

@P-Werchowenskij
    ebook is short for electronic book. iBooks I think is an application by Apple to navigate thru ebooks on their products.

• I love real Books.
    Though I had to read an eBook every now & then because I could not buy them in real or my Friend was visiting & I just read a Book on their Nook... I mean it still was a Book, how could I say No to reading it. *shrugs*

• Since I travel quite often, I find e-books to be more comfortable. You can have tens or even hundreds of books with you (you're not limited by weight for example). And while I am quite used to read on e-book reader I still somewhat find classic paper more convenient to read from.

• sHeeepz said...
    • User
    • 21 Sep 2012, 12:18
    I love real books, but starting to think more and more about buying me an E-book..
    My small room is getting stuffed with books and my bags are always heavy for carrying at least 1 book with me.. kind of done with that :P
    think I'll buy me a cheap one soon, then see how that works out for me..

My spoon is too big..
  • REAL BOOKS <3 4-ever!!!!! I'm a bookseller ^.^

Auf den Gipfeln der sanft ansteigenden Hügel fällt der Schnee ruhig und ich erkenne, dass sich mein Wunsch nicht erfüllt. Eine der Blumen, die du so sehr liebtest, ist nun in deinem Zimmer...Von jetzt an stehe ich allein am Fenster und betrachte nichts als den Schnee, während ich mich an dich erinnere. Durch die Scheibe hindurch lass ich dich erscheinen und gebe dir einen letzten Kuss... Komm Lächle, Weine nicht mehr... dies war die letzt Farbe der Jahreszeiten die du sahst. Tränen fallen. [blühte eine einzige Blume an Straßenrand Wenn ich zum Himmel heraufblicke, fließt der letzte Schnee meine Handfläche hinab] by Dir en grey (teile aus Ain't Afraid to Die)
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 27 Sep 2012, 09:11
    For me, it's only real books. I must fell books in my hands, feel the smell of peper.

• NoooFun said...
    • User
    • 1 Nov 2012, 19:20
    Real books are a lot better, but you know when you read a lot and you don't have a lot of money... ebooks get the work done.

• I LOVE reading on my kindle, and here's why.

I tried reading a book in PDF format on my computer, but I suffered from eye strain and headache halfway through the book. It's impossible for me to read on my computer because of the LCD screen, and that's where the kindle really shines. Kindle's screen is not LCD, but it's E-ink. E-ink is akin to paper and ink, and it does NOT affect your eyes at all. You wouldn't believe the quality of it when you take a look at it, it's a thing of beauty!

I've read countless books on my kindle and I've enjoyed every minute of it. I've considered the possibility of it hurting my interest in reading actual books, which is why I actually go to a bookstore every now and then to get real books. I have a kindle and I can get books on it within minutes, but I'm satisfied with the way I'm handling it. I don't always read on it, but it's there when needed.

• Real book! Nothing better than going through a bookstore's shelves, finding either a book you're looking for or something you happened across, leafing through it, seeing if there are other versions or translations ... then later curling up in a café, reading and people-watching. :)

• Both! Lately though I've been reading most of my books on my phone. The books I buy are mainly classics that I find in antique store or thrift shops. And oh yes, I have a stack of newer, real books that I still have yet to read.

I teach young kids, some of whom have brought their e-readers to use in my classroom during silent reading time. I have absolutely no objections to this. The important thing is that, no matter the format, they are READING.

• Wow. I almost forgot opening this thread topic. I don't know what took me so long to buy an e-book reader, but I finally did this month. I already finished 5 books using it and it's definitely an improvement over LCD display. I'm using B&N's Nook Touch by the way, and it still has about 60% of battery life since my initial charging.

I still miss the smell of real books. :P

• I never got into this ebook thing, I prefer the normal books, I love holding it in my hands, the smell, I only read digital books when I can't find a physical book in any way, when I have no choice, or when I think it's not worth buying the normal book so I get the ebook which is way cheaper, even for free sometimes. but I love audiobooks, because I can listen while doing other things or while in movement.

Yad yad acarati sresthas
    tat tad evetaro janah
    sa yat pramanam kurute
    lokas tad anuvartate ॐ
  • Aurwandil sa:
    I never got into this ebook thing, I prefer the normal books, I love holding it in my hands, the smell, I only read digital books when I can't find a physical book in any way, when I have no choice, or when I think it's not worth buying the normal book so I get the ebook which is way cheaper, even for free sometimes.

Somewhat like this. I also prefer normal books because I can take it to my bed and read it there.

JHVA ELOHIM METH

"Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
    And in the lowest deep a lower deep
    Still threat'ning to devour me opens wide,
    To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven."
  • Your_Old said:
    Aurwandil sa:
    I never got into this ebook thing, I prefer the normal books, I love holding it in my hands, the smell, I only read digital books when I can't find a physical book in any way, when I have no choice, or when I think it's not worth buying the normal book so I get the ebook which is way cheaper, even for free sometimes.

Somewhat like this. I also prefer normal books because I can take it to my bed and read it there.

I second that, nothing beats the feeling of reading a good book in bed, sometimes this is the best part of my day just before going to sleep :)

Yad yad acarati sresthas
    tat tad evetaro janah
    sa yat pramanam kurute
    lokas tad anuvartate ॐ
  • I only read real books. I just like it more to flip the pages, and to read everything on paper. You already read so many things on screen, so reading on paper gives a different feeling. I love to look through the book. And I love the smell of books. I mostly read second-hand books and I have books here from the 1930s. So it has really a old feeling. I don't know, but I just appreciate it a lot.
    And it is good to see the books on your shelf's instead of a virtual library.

On the other side I understand why people prefer to have an e-book. Some books can be very have when you are travelling. And it doesn't require a lot of space.
    I still take my heavy books with me though, haha. I don't mind that.

• I agree to those saying to read a real book is feeling better than to read ebooks.
    I do have books in my ibook app on my iPad. Do not want to blame it, it is working fine.
    But it is not the same as feeling the paper of a real book with my fingers while holding it, turn the pages etc., and yes, also to smell this very special "aroma" a book made of paper does have.

I amar prestar aen, han mathon ne nen, han mathon ne chae, a han noston ned wilith
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 15 May 2014, 05:21
    I've never bothered with eBooks, unless you count PDF files on things that I can't get cheap. For whatever reason, I have a hard time following a book in digital format. It just doesn't feel right and that's enough for me to discard the option. I'm very weary of a lot of newer advancements in technology beyond what I can do with a laptop so I can't even fathom an eBook.

• In my opinion, real book is much easier to read, and it's more interesting, and natural. But unfortunatelly, now good books are really expencive, so I read eBooks more often.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.