Group-related, whatever, I don't know...

• Group-related, whatever, I don't know...

1. Which other artists, labels or countries should be included in the connection-lists? I watched the film several times and I hope that I found most of the mentioned artists. If there's anything left, tell me!

2. Feel free to crosspost your personal journal entries to this group. Tell us about music you love, hate or just want to talk about.

(Yeah yeah, the cool and groovy group support thread!!!)

• the lemonheads

• added them without knowing any of their songs, haha. i trust you with this suggestion...

• Sonic Death Monkey (hehe)

a hundred typewriters soaked in green paint
  • I don't think that the audioscrobbler-library knows them... could be difficult ;)

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 27 Aug 2005, 22:36

Radiohead?

Where is Radiohead mentioned in the book or in the movie, if anyone cares to remind me?

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 27 Aug 2005, 22:39

Lou Reed

I'm sure there's a part where he described his one worker and said he had a Lou Reed t-shirt on.

• Re: Radiohead?

Quoth Neef:
    Where is Radiohead mentioned in the book or in the movie, if anyone cares to remind me?

Have a look, there is a Radiohead-poster at one of the walls inside the movie version's record shop back room. The same with Pavement, more obvious in the appartment next to the door.

Edited by DJ_Fleming on 9 Sep 2005, 16:26
  • Re: Lou Reed

Quoth Neef:
    I'm sure there's a part where he described his one worker and said he had a Lou Reed t-shirt on.

I've got The Velvet Underground in the list, but I'll add Lou Reed to be absolutely correct ;)

Edited by DJ_Fleming on 9 Sep 2005, 16:27
  • Sir Douglas Quintet

I forget, off the top of my head, in which scene "Mendocino" is playing... pretty sure it's when Barry joins the band, anyway, the song is one of the all-time greats, and to leave it off the connections list is, to my mind, a greater travesty than "I Just Called To Say I Love You."

• add

add the pixies.

• Labels

Well, when it comes to labels, obviously, Stax Volt, Chess and Motown. Though I'm not sure AudioScrobbler will know about them. And while it isn't mentioned in the book, I suspect Verve would pass a Championship Vinyl review - for Django Reinhardt at least.

"One of the virtues of having a system of values is that you know exactly what to laugh at." - Virginia Woolf
  • Artists

Al Green - for (Sha La La) Make Me Happy, and Al Green Explores Your Mind generally

err... now I can't remember what was already on the list, so forgive any repetition...

The Flying Burrito Brothers

Neil Young

Aretha Franklin

Chuck Berry

Elvis Costello

Otis Redding

Elvis Presley

Joni Mitchell

The Clash

Booker T and the MGs

"One of the virtues of having a system of values is that you know exactly what to laugh at." - Virginia Woolf
  • Artists

duplicate post - some strange foo with last.fm - sorry

Edited by factory186 on 19 Sep 2005, 04:35
  • Added them. But there's only a label called Stax, not Stax Volt. Hope that's okay.
    (I wonder how I could have forgotten lovely Aretha...)

• another thought

Bruce Springsteen features prominently in the movie - though I never much cared for that, and I'm not sure how the team at Championship Vinyl (book version) would feel about 'The Boss' - I suspect they'd like his first albums, but then not.

• Country Music

I'm not a fan, particularly, but I suspect...

Johnny Cash
    Willie Nelson

would pass muster.

Or should we restrict ourselves to artists actually mentioned (favorably) in the book or movie?

• Yes, I'm trying to restrict on the artists mentioned in either the novel or the movie with only a few exceptions. Otherwise, it would blow up the list.

Thanks for these hints. Again... I don't know what was in my mind forgetting Bruce "The Boss / Nebraska" Springsteen...

(Johnny Cash is already on the list.)

• The Jesus & Mary Chain, and Echo & the Bunnymen.
    JMC both the movie & book. Echo, I know movie, but can't remember if they're in the book, and can't find my copy right now.

• Also Massive Attack, and Solomon Burke.

• mahlie said...
    • User
    • 2 Oct 2005, 13:55
    The Jackson Five vielleicht? Immerhin mit 'the Love You Save' unter den "Top 5 der beliebtesten Tanznummern im Groucho Club" . Später auch nochmal erwähnt .

• 50 strange people from around the world

got 50 members. pretty cool, thanks for your membership and your postings!

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 28 Oct 2005, 20:44
    No problem.

• Re: another thought

Quoth factory186:
    Bruce Springsteen features prominently in the movie - though I never much cared for that, and I'm not sure how the team at Championship Vinyl (book version) would feel about 'The Boss' - I suspect they'd like his first albums, but then not.

Actually he's mentioned quite a bit in the book also. Just reread it recently. Rob mentions at one point that he'd like his life to be a Springsteen song.

• I caught the following in the movie:
    the Minutemen (album cover)
    Frank Zappa (album cover)
    Captain Beefheart (album cover)
    Echo & the Bunnymen (customer comes in looking for the new album)
    Stiff Little Fingers (recommended to a customer)

I don't know if some of those are too specific though.

I swear I'll give it back tomorrow, but for now I think that I'll just borrow all the chords from this song and all the words from another song I heard yesterday.
Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.